Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm misremembering, but I'm pretty sure that park tickets have been delivered by UPS (and larger redemptions by DHL, maybe?). Canada Post's strike might mean more people are using other services so it might mean a slightly slower arrival, but I wouldn't think the effect will be significant.

In the past, I've always gotten tickets within a week of ordering, and I live in the West. How long do you have until you need the tickets?

We leave on Dec 14th.

Has anyone ordered park tickets (or anything else) since the postal strike started? Was there much of a delay? I was wondering how much time I need to give myself to order my tickets for Universal Studios (I'm short by 326 points).
Basically, the postal strike is nothing. Things are slow but we're talking 1-2 days longer at most. However, as @marchingstar said, park tickets are sent via courier.

Some one just posted on FB that they ordered tickets from AM and it's been 5 whole days and they still don't have the tickets (already I'm LOL). Said person 'contacted' AM and was told that they are taking orders but they don't actually have the tickets. Soooo....I find that highly unusual. First off clarify 'contacted' because depending on who you speak to and via which method will play a part in the accuracy of the info. Second, it's not a typical AM practise to over sell. :confused3

Basically, the postal strike is nothing. Things are slow but we're talking 1-2 days longer at most. However, as @marchingstar said, park tickets are sent via courier.

Some one just posted on FB that they ordered tickets from AM and it's been 5 whole days and they still don't have the tickets (already I'm LOL). Said person 'contacted' AM and was told that they are taking orders but they don't actually have the tickets. Soooo....I find that highly unusual. First off clarify 'contacted' because depending on who you speak to and via which method will play a part in the accuracy of the info. Second, it's not a typical AM practise to over sell. :confused3
I beg to differ with you here! I placed an order with HBC on the 1st to take advantage of a few deals: 20% if i used my HBC card, 2X multiplier from the store and 5X from the portal as well ... I had no desire to actually have it shipped but the site wasn't working to let me pick it up in store. Fine, added one more thing to get free shipping and off it went with THIS result
  1. Arrived at Gateway on the day they went on strike (the largest processing plant in the country i think)
  2. Sent to Kitchener the day THEY went on strike (never had that extra step before :headache:)
  3. Sent to Guelph the day before WE had the strike
  4. On the 6th i get a notice saying expected delivery the 8th
  5. At 6 am today that switched to (get this) Wednesday the 14th!!!
I've since needed to pick up one of the items at Home Hardware -- you know, the extra cake pan i added to make the order -- meaning i need to return the one i no longer need to The Bay at some point. The only bright spot is I've already received the AM, both from the online shopping and the HBC point conversion.

**ETA the last 2 times i ordered tickets, one set for Disney & 1 set for Universal they arrive in a normal envelope in my mailbox, said needed signature on the INSIDE but not on the outside

I beg to differ with you here! I placed an order with HBC on the 1st to take advantage of a few deals: 20% if i used my HBC card, 2X multiplier from the store and 5X from the portal as well ... I had no desire to actually have it shipped but the site wasn't working to let me pick it up in store. Fine, added one more thing to get free shipping and off it went with THIS result
  1. Arrived at Gateway on the day they went on strike (the largest processing plant in the country i think)
  2. Sent to Kitchener the day THEY went on strike (never had that extra step before :headache:)
  3. Sent to Guelph the day before WE had the strike
  4. On the 6th i get a notice saying expected delivery the 8th
  5. At 6 am today that switched to (get this) Wednesday the 14th!!!
I've since needed to pick up one of the items at Home Hardware -- you know, the extra cake pan i added to make the order -- meaning i need to return the one i no longer need to The Bay at some point. The only bright spot is I've already received the AM, both from the online shopping and the HBC point conversion.

**ETA the last 2 times i ordered tickets, one set for Disney & 1 set for Universal they arrive in a normal envelope in my mailbox, said needed signature on the INSIDE but not on the outside
Well that stinks. I think you got caught up at every turn on that one. I spoke with my uncle who is a Can Post exec and he told me that the delays are hardly noticeable. He's the one that told me 1-2 days.

I order from HBC a ton and they have always been very weird when it comes to deliveries. The package might come 2-3 days after I place the order or it could be 10-14 days and that was when the items came from their depot. Part of the problem with them now is that all the online ordered merch comes from the actual bricks and mortar stores. So if you have ordered multiple items that are located in different stores they ship out the first item, then on to the next store for the next item to be added and so on. Perhaps that is part of the problem with your package.

Canada Post
We think (in my neighbourhood) that the mail lady sneaks in during the night, lol, fairy mail.

fairy-mail.jpg

I have been ordering Movie Passes (from Airmiles) which come via Canada Post and they are usually delivered within a week of order time.
Lately that has been delayed up to 2 weeks. Now I can not say for sure this is due to Canada Post labour issues.

Hugs Mel

Last edited:
I decided to order from Hudson's Bay during their Bay Days recently. Let me tell you they only use Canada Post and the item ordered can come from anywhere in Canada. I'm in Ontario - the items I ordered came from a BC store, not their warehouse in Scarborough, ON. I kept getting email updates from Canada Post informing me of shipment delays due to the labour dispute. Just so happens the rotating strike hit BC right after I ordered. Took me over 2 weeks to get my order.

So if you need something urgently, don't order from HBC till the strike is over!!!

Thanks Silvermist! I went to SportChek first today to check out shoes then over to Shell for three $50 SportChek gift cards. I received 25 per card for a total of 75 air miles.

Well done Hon
I usually make a small donation to a charity at Christmas in honour of my brother. He always donated to the "Chum City Christmas Wish Foundation. This year I redirected that donation for a little boy at my school who needed a coat. Well sticker shock for me as it's been a few years since I've bought a size 7-8 kids winter coat. (167.98)
I went to SportChek and bought one last week. Wish I could have gotten some airmiles but hey I feel good to know that he will be warm and cozy.
I know from personal experience having a good pair of shoes can make all the difference in your health and hey you got some airmiles as a bonus,Hugs to you,
Mel

I am waiting to shop as well. Went to Sobeys today to pick up groceries and got DH 125 Cash AM but that's it. I keep thinking I should pop out to the store and pick up this or that but no. I must wait until Thursday before I put anything on my CC (there better be one of those deals). Only 6 more sleeps :hourglass :-).

I have a Lawton's offer for spend $30/get 30 miles and it's good until the 15th. Waiting so I can combine it with their STB offer (typically spend $95/ get 95 miles over the course of 4 weeks)

Something someone posted has me thinking about this.

When I shop on airmileshops.ca at Staples. I should get 1AM for each $40 spent from airmileshops.ca and another from Staples? When I did the promotion in August I received the 1AM from airmileshops but not from Staples directly. It's only 1AM so I'm not likely to go after it. DH needed a new office chair and they were on sale last week. He needed to order it online to take advantage of an extra discount so I suggested we go through airmileshops. I got the credit of 5AM from airmileshops but nothing yet from Staples.

I know that I put my AM# in the form when completing the order. Is this normal for Staples. Again the amount is enough to go after but I just don't see the point of going through airmileshops if I can't double up on AM. I might as well just go to the store and get it the old fashioned way. (Going through airmileshops and being able to double dip has worked with RONA and Lowes just not with Staples)

Is anyone taking advantage of the flash 10X AM bonus that's today only on airmiles shops?

Yes! I had been looking for a window light filtering / privacy cling for our front door glass window and thought this would be the perfect time to order!

I had a good grocery shop at Sobeys. Should help with building my cash miles up a bit more! Earned just over 160AM for a spend of $112 on pretty much all food I would buy anyways. $100/100AM weekends are my fave!

I just applied for the BMO world elite - is the 1 pt for $10 in addition to the usual base miles? I mean will $20 at sobeys now get me 1 base AM and the another 2 if I pay with the MasterCard?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter