Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Every day I log in to check my Air Miles only to find 1 mile or so has credited. According to my tracking spreadsheet I am waiting for 1,234 air miles to credit. Waiting can be so hard! Anyone else notice the amount is in numerical order? :) I thought it was funny.

We just need to be creative. :magnify: ETA- don't forget about the good old standbys, gift cards! You can purchase those at grocery stores and American Express will never know the difference.

Really? I never realized. I guess I'm so used to Air Miles not wanting to give air miles on gift cards, I never thought about AMEX not realizing what was purchased. Thanks! So much to try and remember.

If their intention is to increase usage of the AMEX cards (and the "if" there is rhetorical - obviously that's the intent), it's working. On me, at least. I hadn't used my AMEX at all in the past year and a half or so. Not since Costco switched to Mastercard. Now I'm carrying it in my wallet again, and using it fairly regularly. Of course, I'm really only using it enough to meet the minimum requirements of the promotions, but that's still a lot more than I was using it a couple of months ago.

Same here. I miss not being able to use AMEX at Costco.

Last edited:
Ok colour me lazy or tired or a combo of both so I'm not going to find all the posts connected to AMEX Soar Into More promo, instead i'll just plunk my thoughts here!
Link to register for the current offer, I'll try to put these links in the first post for easier reference.
Spend $100 at a stand alone grocery store October 1st - 31st earn 400 AM

Numerous items will fall under this umbrella -- there is no way for AMEX to determine what you spent the money on, just that it was in a grocery store. In our Metro that would include : lottery, gift cards, flowers, stationary, beer, pharmacy items, OH yeah, FOOD too :P Once they put the beer in the store you can take it to any till (including the self-scan) and put it thru with your order & same is true for gift cards & flowers. Lottery is at the customer service but the receipt still says Metro. Closest Sobeys has all of that minus the beer. To find a list of stores close to you that accept AMEX go to the AM site and filter to include which category you want to shop at. This should take you directly to Grocery/Drug Store/Beverage
AMEX Sponsors
OR you can even filter to show stores close to you (handy for other promos!)
Stores close to you

Don't forget the American Express latest Soar into More registration starts today. Spend $100 at stand alone grocery stores between Oct. 1 and Oct. 31, get 400 Air Miles. Easy peasy!

Does anyone keep track of the terms for these offers? I've been doing so lately, but I don't have a copy of the first Soar Into More offer back in the spring (spend $200 between June 1-July 31 at gas stations and get 400 AM). I still haven't received these AM and when I called about it, I was told they had up to 120 days from July 31 to give me the AM. When I read the most current offer that just came out today, it states 90 days from completing the eligible purchases. I'd just like to know which one is correct for the June offer as I don't feel like waiting until the end of October before having to call them about missing miles.
Also, is there any way to distinguish which contest the AM came from when they do award the AM's? SIM #'s 1,2&4 are offering 400 AM, If that should show up in my account, how do I tell which offer if came from? Or would I have to call AMEX?

ETA- don't forget about the good old standbys, gift cards! You can purchase those at grocery stores and American Express will never know the difference.

I'm not entirely certain that AMEX doesn't know what you've bought. Air Miles certainly knows, and no doubt we've all given them permission to share that information with their partners. Doesn't matter though, they don't care anyway. AMEX gets their commission on whatever gets posted to the card. Gift cards, taxes - makes no difference to them.

That is totally my back-up plan if I can't make the $400 spend in regular purchases before the end of September. I'm around $250 now though, and that's not counting the $80 grocery purchase at the beginning of September that I charged to my Mastercard out of habit. So I think I'll be fine.

I'm trying to multi-task (and not doing anything properly i might add!) so i missed including my back-up info surrounding the upcoming offer! All it says is purchases at eligible grocery store -- nothing about what you buy there.
upload_2017-9-11_12-43-22.png
Two of the fine print info that answers some of our questions

• 1. Only Basic American Express® AIR MILES®*Consumer and Small Business Cardmembers to successfully enroll their eligible card are eligible for this offer. Only the eligible Basic American Express® AIR MILES®*Card can be enrolled in this offer. The enrolled Card must be the same Card used as method of payment at stand-alone grocery stores in Canada. Merchants are typically assigned codes and categorized based on what they sell. Purchases at merchants where grocery sales are not their primary business (including superstores, wholesale clubs, alcohol retailers and general merchandise retailers) do not qualify for this bonus offer.
  • This Bonus Miles offer may take up to 2 billing cycles to appear on your statement and up to 90 days to be posted to your AIR MILES Collector Account, after you have completed the eligible purchases. American Express is responsible for fulfillment of this offer. LoyaltyOne, Co. is not responsible for this Bonus Miles offer. The Bonus Miles will be reversed if return or exchange results in less than $100 in qualifying purchase(s) being charged to the enrolled American Express Card or associated supplementary cards during the offer period.
The fine print in red .. you can't follow up with Airmiles when miles are missing -- you will need to wait 2 complete billing cycles for the miles to appear in your AM account before you can start to track them down. For me that means i couldn't even challenge the first offer (no way we can spend $200 in a gas station since we drive a FIT! We also try to limit our purchase of giftcards due to the fluctuation of our income) until September 27th

The Airmiles, when they do show up will look like this and have the same date as your regular AMEX postings (have for us at least so a bit of an *assumption* on my part!
upload_2017-9-11_12-57-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-11_12-45-43.png
    upload_2017-9-11_12-45-43.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 5
I'm trying to multi-task (and not doing anything properly i might add!) so i missed including my back-up info surrounding the upcoming offer! All it says is purchases at eligible grocery store -- nothing about what you buy there.
View attachment 268807
Two of the fine print info that answers some of our questions

• 1. Only Basic American Express® AIR MILES®*Consumer and Small Business Cardmembers to successfully enroll their eligible card are eligible for this offer. Only the eligible Basic American Express® AIR MILES®*Card can be enrolled in this offer. The enrolled Card must be the same Card used as method of payment at stand-alone grocery stores in Canada. Merchants are typically assigned codes and categorized based on what they sell. Purchases at merchants where grocery sales are not their primary business (including superstores, wholesale clubs, alcohol retailers and general merchandise retailers) do not qualify for this bonus offer.
  • This Bonus Miles offer may take up to 2 billing cycles to appear on your statement and up to 90 days to be posted to your AIR MILES Collector Account, after you have completed the eligible purchases. American Express is responsible for fulfillment of this offer. LoyaltyOne, Co. is not responsible for this Bonus Miles offer. The Bonus Miles will be reversed if return or exchange results in less than $100 in qualifying purchase(s) being charged to the enrolled American Express Card or associated supplementary cards during the offer period.
The fine print in red .. you can't follow up with Airmiles when miles are missing -- you will need to wait 2 complete billing cycles for the miles to appear in your AM account before you can start to track them down. For me that means i couldn't even challenge the first offer (no way we can spend $200 in a gas station since we drive a FIT! We also try to limit our purchase of giftcards due to the fluctuation of our income) until September 27th

The Airmiles, when they do show up will look like this and have the same date as your regular AMEX postings (have for us at least so a bit of an *assumption* on my part!
View attachment 268813

Not sure if you were posting the above in response to my question or not. I realize that the latest offer says 90 days, but I was wondering if anyone had kept track of the other offers, specifically the first one as to whether it said 90 days or 120. When I call Amex, they say it's 120 days, which doesn't jive with what the current offer says.

Rexall is a GREAT Air Miles earner... if you have one near you.

I think Rexall is a "love it or hate it" kind of thing. I drive by three of them every day, but have more or less given up trying to collect there, unless it's a really great deal. I can't be bothered with all the coupons and stacking and whatnot, but more importantly, I usually just can't find anything to buy. I use alternative products for thinks like soap and shampoo, don't use cosmetics at all, and buy most of our basics at Costco (at a much better price). And I've seen some items that are just massively overpriced at Rexall, like 40-50% higher than you'd find the same item elsewhere, so I feel like I have to be careful what I buy.

I know lots of people here do great at Rexall, and I think that's awesome! It just doesn't work for me. Maybe I'm just spoiled - I live in an area where Sobeys, Rexall, Metro, Shell, and LCBO are all literally within a couple of kilometres of each other, and near both my home and workplace. So I have it pretty easy where in-store Air Miles collecting is concerned. I just don't want anyone to feel too bad if there's no Rexall nearby; it's possible it wouldn't work well for your individual habits anyway!

Not sure if you were posting the above in response to my question or not. I realize that the latest offer says 90 days, but I was wondering if anyone had kept track of the other offers, specifically the first one as to whether it said 90 days or 120. When I call Amex, they say it's 120 days, which doesn't jive with what the current offer says.
Oh one of the foibles of social media coupled with the Duck trying to do far too much at once! I'm sorry if you feel i was being rude, i wasn't responding to you anyone specifically. I have the fine print for all of the offers, just give me some time to track it down :D

***EDITED to add the fine print was the same for all of the offers. I think the whole fine print is confusing myself. It first says "may take up to 2 billing cycles to appear on your statement" (which could mean more than 60 days if you made the purchase the DAY your statement is posted) but it then says "up to 90 days after you complete the eligible purchases" SO, which is it??? 60, 75, 90, or the 120 you were quoted???

Last edited:
Oh one of the foibles of social media coupled with the Duck trying to do far too much at once! I'm sorry if you feel i was being rude, i wasn't responding to you anyone specifically. I have the fine print for all of the offers, just give me some time to track it down :D

***EDITED to add the fine print was the same for all of the offers. I think the whole fine print is confusing myself. It first says "may take up to 2 billing cycles to appear on your statement" (which could mean more than 60 days if you made the purchase the DAY your statement is posted) but it then says "up to 90 days after you complete the eligible purchases" SO, which is it??? 60, 75, 90, or the 120 you were quoted???

Didn't think you were rude - not sure where that came from. Just wasn't sure if you were responding to my post or not. OK, so AMEX was lying to me on the phone when they said I had to wait until Oct. 29 to revisit any AM from the first SIM promotion. I'll have to get back on the phone as soon as I have the time. They also still owe me 100 AM from April 7!

Didn't think you were rude - not sure where that came from. Just wasn't sure if you were responding to my post or not. OK, so AMEX was lying to me on the phone when they said I had to wait until Oct. 29 to revisit any AM from the first SIM promotion. I'll have to get back on the phone as soon as I have the time. They also still owe me 100 AM from April 7!
I can tell you that I received the first offer of 400 same time as I got my statement. I think most people did so not sure why yours is taking so long. They went into my account June 22nd to be exact. Now I have not seen any of the other offers yet, they seem to be taking a while.

Ok colour me lazy or tired or a combo of both so I'm not going to find all the posts connected to AMEX Soar Into More promo, instead i'll just plunk my thoughts here!
Link to register for the current offer, I'll try to put these links in the first post for easier reference.
Spend $100 at a stand alone grocery store October 1st - 31st earn 400 AM

Numerous items will fall under this umbrella -- there is no way for AMEX to determine what you spent the money on, just that it was in a grocery store. In our Metro that would include : lottery, gift cards, flowers, stationary, beer, pharmacy items, OH yeah, FOOD too :P Once they put the beer in the store you can take it to any till (including the self-scan) and put it thru with your order & same is true for gift cards & flowers. Lottery is at the customer service but the receipt still says Metro. Closest Sobeys has all of that minus the beer. To find a list of stores close to you that accept AMEX go to the AM site and filter to include which category you want to shop at. This should take you directly to Grocery/Drug Store/Beverage
AMEX Sponsors
OR you can even filter to show stores close to you (handy for other promos!)
Stores close to you

Just a little heads up on the beer. You will have to use the designated cashier to make that purchase. The cashier must be 1)old enough to sell/handle it and B) have a valid Smart Serve number. That's how it is around here anyway.

You can absolutely take your entire grocery purchase to that designated lane though.

I can tell you that I received the first offer of 400 same time as I got my statement. I think most people did so not sure why yours is taking so long. They went into my account June 22nd to be exact. Now I have not seen any of the other offers yet, they seem to be taking a while.
Same here....my billing cycle starts on the 10th and my miles always post on the 11th. I had the first offer of 400 on July 11th. Have yet to receive the second offer though.

Has anyone had an automated phone call apparently from AMEX offering a free night hotel stay for being a loyal customer? I hung up. Busy watching a new TV show with my husband and I didn't believe it was really AMEX phoning.

Just a little heads up on the beer. You will have to use the designated cashier to make that purchase. The cashier must be 1)old enough to sell/handle it and B) have a valid Smart Serve number. That's how it is around here anyway.

You can absolutely take your entire grocery purchase to that designated lane though.
YUP, and unlike some other stores in our area, even the self-scan check outs at our Metro are an option.

Last edited:
A week maybe 2. But you'll want to have your tickets 30-60 (offsite/on-site) days before travel so you can make fastpass reservations. You'll only a few months until you'll need them.
I never thought of having them early so I can do the fastpasses. Thanks.

I'm about 1500 away from Onyx!! Woo hoo!! Major thanks to this group

Yay! Like you I am only 550 AM away from being Onyx for the first time because of this thread.

I'm only 398 away from Onyx as well. I've been so close now for over a month...I haven't collected many AM this past month and a bit. Hoping to get back onto it soon :hyper2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter