Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Same as @marchingstar, if I need miles for flights, that would be under my cards and DH's card would be cash miles so I can use the value of each cashing out and put the money into our vacation fund.

Once I have enough dream miles for flights, then my account goes to Cash miles as well.

Can I switch his miles to cash miles and isn’t there a place in Quebec you can buy gift cards or am I going crazy ? Be oceans no it wouldn’t shock me lol

Can I switch his miles to cash miles and isn’t there a place in Quebec you can buy gift cards or am I going crazy ? Be oceans no it wouldn’t shock me lol

i think the miles he already has can’t be changed, but you could change what kind you earn in the future now.

if you did shop the block on his card, making a change now would affect how those miles post, which could be a big boost to a cash account!

Same as @marchingstar, if I need miles for flights, that would be under my cards and DH's card would be cash miles so I can use the value of each cashing out and put the money into our vacation fund.

Once I have enough dream miles for flights, then my account goes to Cash miles as well.
One word of warning for everyone. Shop the Block will likely post in the next few weeks (early February). Make sure your account is set to what you want your miles to go to. A few extra miles in one category won't hurt as much as having StB go to the wrong category.

You can't actually us AM Cash to purchase GC (officially). I don't recall anyone talking about doing it at Jean Coutu. I know I've used my Cash miles there to purchase things (without issue).

I would recommend my method of using Cash miles if getting GC is what you're after. Use your cash miles when you make a regular purchase at any sponsor. Then take the equivalent amount of cash out of your bank account (you didn't need to use it on your purchase) and put that aside or use it to purchase a GC.

I have been using my Cash AM for a while now and putting them aside for future travel use. It will be up to me to decide if I purchase GC or just convert to $US for hotels or tickets.

Maybe on of the other Ottawa people can chime in if they have had success with what you are asking. (I would recommend a PM)

How I use 2 Airmiles cards
I save:
Cash Airmiles on my son's card.
Dream Airmiles on mine.
Sometimes if a big promo is coming up (Mega Miles) I will switch over to cash airmiles for my card just to be safe that I have enough cash airmiles in the event there is a *use your Cash airmiles as a sponsor*.deal.

I use cash airmiles for Grocery coupons, Starbucks gift cards and occasionally Movie passes.

I don't try to get to Onyx for my sons card as the Airmiles perks have dwindled away this past year.
(Airmiles Events Exclusive, and Airmiles Perks).

I have banked enough Dream to get a replacement desktop computer should mine crash on me,,,fingers and toes crossed this doesn't happen.
I am now saving for flights for 2022.

Hugs
Mel

Question Regarding AM FLIGHTS
I have checked for flights to St. John's in the spring. It defaults to Economy (Air Canada). Is there any way to change the flights to Economy Plus? If so....how?

Question Regarding AM FLIGHTS
I have checked for flights to St. John's in the spring. It defaults to Economy (Air Canada). Is there any way to change the flights to Economy Plus? If so....how?
nope, you'll be getting just the butt in the seat fares. I think the only way you can get anything else is if you have the super dooper amex card

I’m really new to having 2 cards, but so far, I’m still using my card as my primary account. I’m not really trying to get my wife’s to onyx though. Like ottawamom said, there’s just not benefits worth the work for me.

I think for me it also matters that my account is 100% dream and my wife’s is cash. I feel like I need a ton of dream miles to reach my goal, but with cash I get the same benefit every time I hit 95 miles. So I prioritize my own account and use my wife’s when there are extra miles to be had.
When I opened DD's account it was set to 100% cash miles. The plan was to use it for Starbucks at WDW and also for her to use at school. The thing was after a year the amount of cash miles was around 4000 and we had already used over $150 worth. I realized that if it had been set to dream miles we could have had a park ticket possibly even 2. So I switched it to 100% dream this time last year and now it's over 5000 dream and still 2000 cash. Once StB posts there will be enough to get a park ticket so I might change things but I really don't know.

I just switched mine from Cash to Dream from now until the end of February. I need about 1800 miles. We are booking a cruise in April (for April 2021) and I plan on helping MIL and her aunt with return airfare from Miami with my miles. Historically, return flights are 1581 miles in April with my BMO W/E A/M discount, and if they paid with cash the flights could be between $500-$1000 each!

Beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing 🙂
Last Friday, I ventured to the closest Foodland in Ontario for me (I'm from Quebec). Managed to get 695 miles on a $214 spend for Blue Friday!!! It's a nice drive, not too long, so it's one I'll probably do again.
I also ordered last Friday an adult Universal Seasonal pass through Onyx personal shopper. Points required 6075.
I am now waiting to see what the new ticket promotion will be for this summer for my other Universal tickets.

When I opened DD's account it was set to 100% cash miles. The plan was to use it for Starbucks at WDW and also for her to use at school. The thing was after a year the amount of cash miles was around 4000 and we had already used over $150 worth. I realized that if it had been set to dream miles we could have had a park ticket possibly even 2. So I switched it to 100% dream this time last year and now it's over 5000 dream and still 2000 cash. Once StB posts there will be enough to get a park ticket so I might change things but I really don't know.

The thing I really like about AM is that we have these kinds of options!

Park tickets are a great way to use miles, and I know for lots of us it’s one of the first ways we offset the cost of a trip. And if you order tickets one at a time, it kind of breaks my feeling that you need a ton of dream miles to do much.

I still have a set from that promo waaaay back before disney made them expire. They were an awesome deal.

I think whats going to work best for me is to treat cash miles almost like PC optimum points. I’ll use them to get groceries for free and then set aside the equivalent $, either as cash or gift cards towards our next trip. But maybe partway through I’ll change my mind and switch back to dream too...

I think whats going to work best for me is to treat cash miles almost like PC optimum points. I’ll use them to get groceries for free and then set aside the equivalent $, either as cash or gift cards towards our next trip. But maybe partway through I’ll change my mind and switch back to dream too...

Yup, that's what a lot of us are doing with the Cash miles. Between that and the PC points, your fund can grow quite quickly!

Has anyone’s Shell Go+ offer for January (5 cents off on weekends) not worked? I opted in back in December, but only tried using it for the first time on Saturday, and it didn’t adjust the price. Do I contact airmiles about this? Or Shell? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter