Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Updated my signature... only need about 600 more miles to maintain Onyx... c'mon Blue Fridays...
That is awesome!!!! Mine is still slowly creeping up. I should get our BMO cc miles this week...and I scored a few with the trip to the big city over the weekend. But it's painful to watch because I want it to tip over that threshold...and it just keeps slowly moving. I just need a good Blue Friday as well. I just need 1060 Am and I'm there!!!!

I'm thinking we're really gonna like this new AMEX earn rate! Just got our statement and I've tried to show you how it's broken down -- the rates changed on Nov 4th so this statement has both old & new earning rates While we no longer earn different rates at the Partner stores it was always 1/$10 there anyway. NOW, all of the stand-alone grocery & gas locations earn at 1/$5 and that includes Metro, Sobey's & Shell. Rexall isn't included but it will STILL be at the 1/$10 we were getting. Super glad a couple of large expenditures happened after the switch (new airfare & travel insurance for our extended trip) because they came in at the 1/$10 instead of the 1/$15!

amex.png

I don't think this has been mentioned yet. Rexall coupon Mon-Wed.

Rexall coupon
Oopsie, yeah, i saw it and thought to myself "that's a pitful return, thanks but not happening" and then neglected to share, sorry gang! 80 miles for a $50 spend isn't worth it.

HOWEVER, any of us old people who got the $10 gift cards from last week's promo don't forget to use it by tomorrow. Hit up the old people day and get your 20% off and then use the card to pay!

I'm thinking we're really gonna like this new AMEX earn rate! Just got our statement and I've tried to show you how it's broken down -- the rates changed on Nov 4th so this statement has both old & new earning rates While we no longer earn different rates at the Partner stores it was always 1/$10 there anyway. NOW, all of the stand-alone grocery & gas locations earn at 1/$5 and that includes Metro, Sobey's & Shell. Rexall isn't included but it will STILL be at the 1/$10 we were getting. Super glad a couple of large expenditures happened after the switch (new airfare & travel insurance for our extended trip) because they came in at the 1/$10 instead of the 1/$15!

View attachment 453410
Which AMEX card has those rates? I gave up my AMEX Reserve when I couldn't get a cc for Tangerine, and I didn't want to pay the (huge-to-me) annual fee. I stuck with BMO World Elite.

Which AMEX card has those rates? I gave up my AMEX Reserve when I couldn't get a cc for Tangerine, and I didn't want to pay the (huge-to-me) annual fee. I stuck with BMO World Elite.
It's the AMEX Platinum the annual fee is $120 and that includes additional cards for anyone else in the family. The earn rates changed on Nov 4th to the following:
From the website:

Earn 1 Mile for every $5 in Card purchases, up to $30,000 annually, on eligible food & drinks, (such as eligible restaurants, coffee shops and stand-alone grocery stores), and eligible gas & transit (such as local commuter transportation including ridesharing services and taxis) in Canada
Earn 1 Mile for every $10 in Card purchases everywhere else

Here's a screenshot that explains it a bit better

PLUS they added this bonus as well

ANNUAL TRAVEL REDEMPTION BENEFIT

Once per calendar year, when an eligible Cardmember uses Dream Miles with the AIR MILES Reward Program to book their first single flight or package vacation through airmiles.ca or vacations.airmiles.ca, they can get Bonus Miles equivalent to 25% of the net number of Miles used (up to a maximum of 750 Bonus Miles)

My DD has asked for a Netflix subscription for Xmas. I'm willing because we can all use it AND because it was either that or a puppy. I know that there is a gift card deal at Shell that includes Netflix cards. Is it simple to apply the cards as payment?

I know nothing about these streaming services....we have been using Android boxes for the last 4-5 years. The boxes are all old now and can't be updated anymore so it's time for either new boxes or Netflix.

My DD has asked for a Netflix subscription for Xmas. I'm willing because we can all use it AND because it was either that or a puppy. I know that there is a gift card deal at Shell that includes Netflix cards. Is it simple to apply the cards as payment?

I know nothing about these streaming services....we have been using Android boxes for the last 4-5 years. The boxes are all old now and can't be updated anymore so it's time for either new boxes or Netflix.

Hi Hon
This might help

You can use Netflix Gift Cards to pay for a Netflix subscription or to give as a gift to friends, family, teachers, and more.
To redeem your Netflix Gift Card:
  1. Go to netflix.com/redeem.
  2. Scratch the foil off the back of your card gently with a coin. Note: ...
  3. Enter the 11-digit PIN code.
Netflix Gift Cards - Netflix Help Center
https://help.netflix.com › node

Last edited:

sooo simple and a great idea. I have a ton of gift cards on my account right now because they are regular promos at both Metro and Sobeys -- a couple of months ago it was 75 miles for a $50 card at metro!

Psst, you also don't need to take Netflix outside when it's raining or snowing or you want to sleep in ...

Hubby always has to bring his laptop with him when we go away and I always tuck the Surface & an adapter plus the HDMI cable into my backpack. Before we go I'll download a bunch of things and we hook it up to the TV so that we're able to watch something whenever we want to. YES, we are "those" people who will watch tv in Disney, don't judge :P

Regarding bonus miles - I shopped staples a few days ago when they had the flash 10x. I received 3 base miles from staples. Then the next day 1 mile for every $40 ( 3am) and 1 reward for every $20 (6 miles). These are posted as AM shops. $137 purchase. Is this right? I thought it would be a bonus of 27 miles.

sooo simple and a great idea. I have a ton of gift cards on my account right now because they are regular promos at both Metro and Sobeys -- a couple of months ago it was 75 miles for a $50 card at metro!

Psst, you also don't need to take Netflix outside when it's raining or snowing or you want to sleep in ...

Hubby always has to bring his laptop with him when we go away and I always tuck the Surface & an adapter plus the HDMI cable into my backpack. Before we go I'll download a bunch of things and we hook it up to the TV so that we're able to watch something whenever we want to. YES, we are "those" people who will watch tv in Disney, don't judge :P

And you don’t have to kennel it when you go on vacation :)

LOL....we also watch TV on vacay. I am not able to come in and go to sleep no matter how late or how tired I am. Even if I came in at 2am I’ve got to watch tv for a couple of hours....not just on vacay this is me on a daily basis.

In bad weather the dog just goes out in the back yard. Our dog that passed last year was too much of a princess and wouldn’t voluntarily go out in the rain...I had to push him out. Then he would stand there getting wet looking at me over his shoulder plotting my death.

Just got back from a package trip I booked using Air Miles to Portugal. It was a fantastic trip. I know people have not been impressed with Air Transit packages, but I was impressed. Flights were on time, more leg room than I have had on any flight in years. The transfers were quick and easy to find and the hotel I picked was impressive for 4 star, room was bigger than most North American rooms I have stayed in

In my opinion it was a great use of Airmiles. Cost me $500 in taxes and fees plus 10,000 Airmiles.

The only nick pick thing I can say is that the package options through Airmiles is not all the packages Air Transat offers. I would have loved to booked a split city stay package that was not through AirMiles.
Thanks to all the great Airmiles tips here I have enough Airmiles for another package. I hope cruise options comes soon.

the view from my room

Speaking of Netflix, our account was hacked this morning in Indonesia. Locked us out and our email/username and password. The great downfall of technology...ugh
Sorry that happened to you. Apparently they have something new coming soon that will prevent fraudulent usage. I read an article yesterday saying that Disney+ has already been hacked and ALL users are compromised.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts