Airmiles Armchair Chatter

This is something I’ve been wondering about. What is the value of redeeming 95 cash miles for $10 off the price of something and then receiving 25AM? I understand the value if done as part of, for example, Shop the Block, when the object is to shop at a certain number of AM stores and the redemption of cash miles counts as a store shop. But, in the case of the Bonus Boom, there is no such goal. So, where is the value to me, if all I want is to earn miles?

This is something I’ve been wondering about. What is the value of redeeming 95 cash miles for $10 off the price of something and then receiving 25AM? I understand the value if done as part of, for example, Shop the Block, when the object is to shop at a certain number of AM stores and the redemption of cash miles counts as a store shop. But, in the case of the Bonus Boom, there is no such goal. So, where is the value to me, if all I want is to earn miles?
I only do this one if it's a return of 50am. I don't usually spend them unless it's part of the bigger promos. I also collect 90% dream - so I need to save the few cash miles I have for the big ones.

I am collecting all my Airmiles as Cash miles at the moment. When I shop I redeem 95AM cash for $10 off my purchase. I then take that $10 I saved and put it into a savings account which I will use when we travel. I had saved a lot of Dream miles and I have enough for future needs. By using the AM Cash and putting that money aside I am able to purchase a wider variety of vacation products than what is offered by Airmiles. Unless you do the extra step of putting the cash saving aside there really is no advantage.

The bonus of redeeming 95 Cash get $10 off and 25AM is that you basically earn AM for nothing extra. I am taking my AM out of the control of Airmiles and putting them under my control. This works is you are the type of person who will not dip into the vacation fund.

Last edited:

I've been slowly "cashing in" my cash miles into my vacation fund. I've converted $740 of a possible $1500 so far. Word to the wise - don't let them build up too much or else it's a chore to get them all used up!
Absolutely agree with you on this. Everyone has their strategy or reasons for collecting or using. For us we like to have around 5000 miles in the account and typically we use them on Florida car rentals. We have a cruise coming up and decided to use the miles to pay for the hotel which right now is saying 3600 miles for one night. It's a lot of miles for one night considering it's about 3 times what a one week rental costs but we won't be needing a car for this trip and we are always collecting so we can build it back up.

Last edited:
@Pinkgurlshubby, I have 16,000+ Dream in my account and 9,000+ Dream in DH's account, plus the $1500 in Cash miles combined! We are going to WDW in 2021, so most of those Dream miles will be for flights, tickets and hopefully a dessert party or two through the Onyx personal shopper.

But from now on, I plan on just collecting cash miles so I'm not restricted as @ottawamom suggested above.

:ssst: I think I'm going to pull the trigger today and book another weekend in WDW. I can fly down the first weekend of December for $77 RT....so that's a no brainer. I've just sent an email to my secret discount agent to see if she can snag me a room at a value resort. DD (not so) casually told her dad that she wanted to go and see the Christmas stuff and for good measure threw in that he already had that opportunity. He just looked at her and said 'go if you want'. So now to figure out how to rearrange work to get myself out of there for a few days.

:ssst: I think I'm going to pull the trigger today and book another weekend in WDW. I can fly down the first weekend of December for $77 RT....so that's a no brainer. I've just sent an email to my secret discount agent to see if she can snag me a room at a value resort. DD (not so) casually told her dad that she wanted to go and see the Christmas stuff and for good measure threw in that he already had that opportunity. He just looked at her and said 'go if you want'. So now to figure out how to rearrange work to get myself out of there for a few days.
We are looking to do a quick DL trip in November... just need to get the prices. We bought annual passes in May, so we might as well use them right? :yay:

@Pinkgurlshubby, I have 16,000+ Dream in my account and 9,000+ Dream in DH's account, plus the $1500 in Cash miles combined! We are going to WDW in 2021, so most of those Dream miles will be for flights, tickets and hopefully a dessert party or two through the Onyx personal shopper.

But from now on, I plan on just collecting cash miles so I'm not restricted as @ottawamom suggested above.
Actually thanks to you I have changed the way I am saving these days.

Dropped into IGA in Gatineau for Blue Friday on my way to work. Used Sobeys giftcards to purchase $104 worth of Bonne Maman jam and received 380 Air Miles. Followed that up with $107 spend on Nature Valley granola bars, popcorn, pudding, crackers and baby purées for another 203 Air Miles.

On top of the Wednesday Rexall coupons and personalized Shell offer, as well as the Samsung Pay standard offer, we managed to earn 2,047 Air Miles between Wednesday and today, all thanks to your help and tips. :)

Alright just came back from Foodland. Spent $112 and got 135 miles. At first I thought of going to Sobey's but it's 10 minutes away and Foodland is down the street plus we live in a small town of 4000 people and the local businesses keep our kids employed including my son so I went there instead. Coupon was 50 air miles instead of 100 but there were enough coupons around the store to make up for it. 3 Timmies drinks for 20 miles, 3 12 packs of pop for 25 miles.

Just back from a very successful shop at Rexall...spent $140 and got 185 AM. I got some amazing deals as I found out that my Rexall discounts products that they are no longer going to carry like one of my hair colour instead of being on sale for $7.99, it was on clearance for $4.97 and the regular CoverGirl foundation (in my shade) was on sale for $3.99 instead of $10.99. All in all a good shop and I only bought things that we use!!!!

Just back from a very successful shop at Rexall...spent $140 and got 185 AM. I got some amazing deals as I found out that my Rexall discounts products that they are no longer going to carry like one of my hair colour instead of being on sale for $7.99, it was on clearance for $4.97 and the regular CoverGirl foundation (in my shade) was on sale for $3.99 instead of $10.99. All in all a good shop and I only bought things that we use!!!!
I love the clearance shelves at Rexall.....I've found some fantastic deals on things. I think the best ever was the Command hook broom hanger...regular price $15 marked down to $2.

I am also a huge fan of cash miles right now. We have our November trip coming up (used dream miles for tickets to WDW & UO, flights, and hotel) but no trips for the next few years so instead of focusing on earning AM I am just lazily getting whatever AM I can with shell / Sobeys MasterCard, surveys, etc.

Trying to save money for future goals we have so it’s more helpful to have $50 am cash to use for groceries or gas than 500AM towards a 30,000+ AM trip.

Plus $50 of AM cash today is worth $50. Not sure how the point value for dream rewards will change over time.

Cash miles vs Dream miles is a conversation that pops up often (both here and out there in the "real world") We tend to lean towards 100% Dream because we like getting "stuff" for FREE. We can't really do the whole use cash miles for groceries/gas/drug store purchases and then move the same amount of money into a vacation fund (or whatever) because all of our accounts are rolled into our mortgage.So it's just a shell game for us - money all comes from one pot. I on occasion will switch to cash miles to build that balance up to use during promos and to redeem for a Sobey's e-card to have on hand for quick purchases but that's it.

Now, if Airmiles would like to get back to giving us some decent offers again I would be a happy Duck!! My account is looking pretty grim right now

My airmiles account is looking pretty grim too. In the last few months I have booked:

1 night hotel pre-cruise
1 day car rental post cruise
8 nights at WDW (Really loving the new Travel Hub. Never thought I would be able to use miles to pay for stay on property at Disney. )
2-Adult 7-day Cdn discount WDW tickets
1 night hotel in Vegas (trip to see daughter receive award)

Still need to book a car rental for drive to port for cruise and one more night in Vegas. So need to work at building the account back up. Good start today at Safeway, spent $104 and earned 185 miles. Plus bought a couple of GC earlier in week so another 200 miles there.

My Dream account is now at 24K and growing. I’m hoping it will pay a good chunk of our California trip (3 week roadtrip) in summer 2021. Planning on using my AM to pay for hotels, car rental and DLR tickets for the 4 of us. Flights to CA will be covered by DH’s Delta points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!