Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Soooo i took the time to track down the fine print for Mastercard and it's very similar to the ones AMEX will implement next month .. don't come right out and call it "fraudulent use" but the gist is definitely there! Now it's perhaps time to study the differences and decide if it's worth it to drop our AMEX down to the "basic card" and bump the Mastercard up to the World Elite???

Mastercard charges for the second card so annual fee will be $170 compared to AMEX $120
Earn rate confuses me! But i think it would work out to close to same amount???
Mastercard 1/$10 everywhere?? is there a cap?
AMEX 1/$5 for certain things and 1/$10 other things or after a cap on the initally higher rate

Extra benefits is where it gets really confusing: Mastercard has the lounge tickets -- would we use them? Not in Pearson since we tend to use the earliest flights, is there one in MCO?
Travel insurance? yeah, we buy this so the fact that Mastercard includes *some* is a benefit we would use.

Huhm, lots to ponder. Any thought from all the loyal Mastercard users? I know there's more of you than us AMEX users and I'd appreciate your input!
This is *not* an airmiles card, but if you like AMEX, I highly recommend their cobalt card. It's what we use, and love it. We get 5% back on food & drink, 2% of travel and transportation, and 1% on everything else, with no caps. Monthly membership fee of $10, and free extra cards. And while not a straight cash back card, you can redeem your points towards travel purchases (or anything else, but at a lower return rate). We've started buying gift cards at the grocery store for places like LCBO, Amazon, Lowe's, and have made close to $1k in points since the beginning of the year (that might say more about how much we're having to spend than anything 🙈). Thought I'd mention it in case you're interested.

Update on the AM hotel booking site.

1) I found Pop Century today, for my dates so they might be adding more availability for others too.

2) I learned it is, in fact, as simple as they said about cancelling. In fact, my 24,000 AM were back in my account after only 20 minutes. ***ETA - they are in my Airmiles.ca account, but not yet visible on the travel hub (so not yet available to re-book with). They did say within 24h, so we'll see.
*** ETA also - now approx. 1 hour after cancelling online, they are available to book again.

3) There is, however, a $10 NON-Refundable booking fee associated with every booking, so technically cancelling wasn't "free" for me, it was "free from the hotel side of things, but $10 from AM hotels website". This is the 7th question on their FAQ page, which I didn't recall reading before booking, but it's there!

I plan on using my AM now for the best bang for my buck, and now that the discont tix are up online, I don't know what that is!
If my math in my spreadsheet is correct (and assuming 1.35 exchange rate) the hotel rooms are approx. 12 cents per AM, the discount WDW tix are 11 cents, and Universal for a day are only 10 cents per AM.

Last edited:

Flyer links are now updated in the first post and here's the ones that Mel hasn't supplied already

Sobey's Western Flyer

Sobey's Atlantic Flyer
Foodland Atlantic Flyer
Co-op Atlantic FLyer
IGA Quebec Flyer
IGA Western Flyer
Safeway Western Flyer

Jean Coutu Ontario and New Brunswick has use 95 cash miles get 50 airmiles 4 Oct to 10 Oct 2019. Air Miles will not show on receipt, will post within 4 weeks of promotion ending. One offer per Collector Account

Anyone willing to translate the French to English for the IGA Quebec flyer promo valid 3 October to 9 October 2019? I found it with the IGA Quebec IGA online flyer.

View attachment 441074
October 3-9: If you spend 100$ you get 25AM or 50AM for 150$. It also states that if you shop at two different AM partners participating in this promo you get 95AM as bonus. If you shop at 3, you get 190AM.

Did the $100 gift card for $50 AM @ foodland and will grab all my turkey day stuff there..
Managed to get 2/3 of our MVMCP fast passes.. No 7 dwarfs left
And ordered our Busch gardens fun cards as for $100 each it will cover end of this year ( our hockey tourney trip) and next years Christmas trip . Im going to take the three littles when big kid goes off to lightening game with his teammates and we can focus that night on little kids stuff.. then out first day post tourney we can focus on big rides for he big two ..
See ortho on Monday hopefully cast comes off I have a really bad feeling underneath is a mess. I’ve always been allergic to tegaderm medical dressings and they didn’t ask me if I had any allergies when I went for waterproof lined cast and it feels like it’s on fire.. I’m not sure I have skin left under there.
Funniest story got a text messsge yesterday from kids boss asking if wanted tix to wiggles I said ok even tho they aren’t into .. gets us out of house why not? My jock kid in exchange for said “free” tix is doing the wiggles laundry day am.. I can’t stop laughing .. he’s not impressed ha ha
Happy Friday All xo

Sobeys (Ontario) has Kraft Dinner dinner on for 10 am when you buy 10. It's on the front page, 99 cent sale price but airmiles aren't listed. Foodland had the same deal last week but I didn't make it there.

Also, one of the Sobeys I go to stopped accepting Sobeys gift cards as payment for other gift cards. Fortunately at the moment the one I go to the most still does.

Sobeys (Ontario) has Kraft Dinner dinner on for 10 am when you buy 10. It's on the front page, 99 cent sale price but airmiles aren't listed. Foodland had the same deal last week but I didn't make it there.

Also, one of the Sobeys I go to stopped accepting Sobeys gift cards as payment for other gift cards. Fortunately at the moment the one I go to the most still does.
The Sobey's closest to us doesn't show any of these but I'm too far away from gold and only 3 months to go so I have to chance it and go buy something...anything LOL. We have more than enough for our pre cruise hotel but I like to have a good buffer in case of a car rental etc

this is great, my kid keeps complaining we don't have any KD in the house. I keep saying "it's not on sale".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!