Airmiles Armchair Chatter

STOP THE BUS ITS OVER.
This promotion has ended. As of October 8, 2019 at 10am EST, no new card enrolments or statement credits for new purchases will be processed. Please visit shell.ca for other available promotions.

got killed early, lots taking advantage of this deal.

supposed to go till end of Dec. Dead after 10 days. This puts Pickle power to shame. Unfortunately I think someone will be losing a job by not putting restrictions on GC and Lotto and Tobacco.

Bummer. I did register my card a few days ago, but didn't get around to actually stopping for a gift card until today (Wednesday). So I missed it. Oh well. It seemed too good to be true anyway.

On the upside, I apparently got 15 AM for my $50 gift card purchase. I came here to try to figure it out. I wasn't aware of any current promotions at Shell besides the 5x offer on gas and some in-store offers on individual products (and the bonus day next week). Still not sure where the 15 AM came from. Did I miss a 3x multiplier?

Just a note that I asked the Personal Shopper for quotes on 5, 6, and 7 day park hopper tickets for one adult and one child. Here they are:

5 day: 12,425
6 day: 12,725
7 day: 12,900

The 7 day tickets for one adult and one child on airmiles.ca are 9,525.

How do I estimate the cost difference for a park hopper option for 7 days? I assume that it's probably better value to just call Disney and pay to upgrade, rather than use an additional 3,000+ miles? Would appreciate any thoughts you have! Thanks so much.

Wheeeeeee! Just saved $4000 with Airmiles! Flights are booked for $620, vs $2600, and 3 adult, 1 child 7 day CDN base tickets are ordered (almost $1600 US, I figure just under $2100 CAD)! Caribbean Beach is booked for 9 nights, we need to book 5 nights at Universal still, but the plans are coming together!!! Now the long wait starts....and now I need to start building up that AM balance again....it's looking rather small.

Oh quick question for those that have used the BMO companion reward - how long does that take to get refunded back to your AM account?

Also, big thank you to everyone here! I'm so excited I just booked this trip, and it wouldn't have been possible without all of you and this wonderful group!

So I just got up and having my first of many coffee's this morning and decide to open the air miles site for the fun of it. I was at LCBO yesterday buying moonshine, yes you read that right. Seems like a good time to check my balance.
Open the site and there's a bonus boom starting today. Not all coupons are a good deal but Sobey's has a 100 miles one for spending $100.
https://bonusboom.airmiles.ca/en/home?reg=ON

Just a note that I asked the Personal Shopper for quotes on 5, 6, and 7 day park hopper tickets for one adult and one child. Here they are:

How do I estimate the cost difference for a park hopper option for 7 days? I assume that it's probably better value to just call Disney and pay to upgrade, rather than use an additional 3,000+ miles? Would appreciate any thoughts you have! Thanks so much.

It's not an easy thing to answer as CM's at Disney don't deal with it consistently. To get an idea go on Disney website and look at the price difference there (between hoppers and non-hoppers regular prices) That is the minimum amount Disney will charge to upgrade.

Now here's where it gets complicated. If the tickets you purchase are Canadian discount tickets some CM's will charge you the difference between the value of the Canadian ticket and the value of the Hopper ticket (non Canadian discount).

You might get lucky and will only be charged the difference between a Canadian discount regular and Canadian discount hopper. This is the option I consider to be fair but doesn't happen often in reported experiences.

Upgrade (non-hopper to hopper) can only be done in person when you are in Florida. There have been many threads here on Canadian DIS which discuss this very issue. Some people get pixie dust some don't and that option can be very expensive.

Personally, when I have Airmiles non-hopper tickets we just don't hop. It can take a little more planning to make sure we get everything done but I've still had enjoyable holidays.

Oh quick question for those that have used the BMO companion reward - how long does that take to get refunded back to your AM account?

Also, big thank you to everyone here! I'm so excited I just booked this trip, and it wouldn't have been possible without all of you and this wonderful group!

I booked flights Mar 1 and the AM for the companion flight were back in my account by Mar 28.

It's not an easy thing to answer as CM's at Disney don't deal with it consistently. To get an idea go on Disney website and look at the price difference there (between hoppers and non-hoppers regular prices) That is the minimum amount Disney will charge to upgrade.

Now here's where it gets complicated. If the tickets you purchase are Canadian discount tickets some CM's will charge you the difference between the value of the Canadian ticket and the value of the Hopper ticket (non Canadian discount).

You might get lucky and will only be charged the difference between a Canadian discount regular and Canadian discount hopper. This is the option I consider to be fair but doesn't happen often in reported experiences.

Upgrade (non-hopper to hopper) can only be done in person when you are in Florida. There have been many threads here on Canadian DIS which discuss this very issue. Some people get pixie dust some don't and that option can be very expensive.

Personally, when I have Airmiles non-hopper tickets we just don't hop. It can take a little more planning to make sure we get everything done but I've still had enjoyable holidays.
Incredibly helpful. Thank you!

What is the BMO companion reward ?
I just got the new elite am BMO mastercard and still aren’t sure if all the perks

I just got the new elite am BMO mastercard and still aren’t sure if all the perks
There was a deal when I signed up that the AM for my first flights booked would be refunded for one person as long as at least two people were booked, if you booked within the first year of getting the card. I'm not sure if the same offer is still on?

On the upside, I apparently got 15 AM for my $50 gift card purchase. I came here to try to figure it out. I wasn't aware of any current promotions at Shell besides the 5x offer on gas and some in-store offers on individual products (and the bonus day next week). Still not sure where the 15 AM came from. Did I miss a 3x multiplier?

Hopefully someone is able to answer this? I asked the same question on October 1. It appears some people are getting a bonus in-store 10 airmiles.

@mab2012, I bought giftcards while the Shell/BMO promo was still on but only received the 10 airmiles which I believe is maximum per transaction normally.

Just wondering what you requested in your quote? Canadian tickets? are they flexible date or have a specific start date?

IMHO, you are best to have airmiles quote on exactly what you need. Example, 7 day Canadian hopper giving them specific start dates at most times of the year is a lot cheaper than 7 day Canadian hopper with flexible date.

As for upgrading the current airmiles Canadian tickets available online, 7 day would be worth a maximum credit of $501 usd (per Disney's website), likely less say $400 (unless someone posts you won't know until you get there) and you can get the price of the 7 day hopper (non Canadian) on the website as well (it will depend on your start dates). They do not sell Canadian tickets at guest services so your new ticket will be priced as a full price ticket unless as previously mentioned there have been a few odd exceptions posted aka pixie dust.

Booking packages with air miles on the Redtag.ca website...anyone else only finding that flights are NOT direct flights? Westjet Vacations seems to be the worst culprit. I didn't think packages had connections in prime winter months. It's frustrating when you find a good deal only to have to spend extra time traveling to get there/back.
I have had to look closely at what days direct flights are flying out of Calgary. When I know that they are flying direct out of Calgary, I was able to find packages that had direct flights. But your right...it seems they want to send everyone through Toronto then down. Which SUCKS!!!! I already have to hop a stupid two prop plane to get to a bigger center...I hate having to have that third or 4th :crazy2: flight to get all the way home in one day. It is a very long and exhausting day.

Just wondering what you requested in your quote? Canadian tickets? are they flexible date or have a specific start date?

IMHO, you are best to have airmiles quote on exactly what you need. Example, 7 day Canadian hopper giving them specific start dates at most times of the year is a lot cheaper than 7 day Canadian hopper with flexible date.

As for upgrading the current airmiles Canadian tickets available online, 7 day would be worth a maximum credit of $501 usd (per Disney's website), likely less say $400 (unless someone posts you won't know until you get there) and you can get the price of the 7 day hopper (non Canadian) on the website as well (it will depend on your start dates). They do not sell Canadian tickets at guest services so your new ticket will be priced as a full price ticket unless as previously mentioned there have been a few odd exceptions posted aka pixie dust.
Hi, I requested exact dates with the Canadian discount. Thank you for your advice! :)

We booked ours April 16 and received the companion miles on May 3, so 2.5 weeks! Not bad :)

It would depend if it was still a promotion when you applied. I don't see it available right now but when my husband applied at the beginning of the year it was. I have a screen shot of the offer details on my phone in March so I know it was still active then. You do have the book both flights with Air Miles within the 12 months to receive the rebated miles.

Hi, I requested exact dates with the Canadian discount. Thank you for your advice! :)

Great! Just making sure you weren't paying for flex tickets if you didn't need to. The quotes that have been posted here this year from personal shopper requests have been coming in around 14.2 airmiles per $1 USD, if yours are around that it's likely the best you'll do.

IMHO, I think your decision is whether hoppers are worth 3375 airmiles to you. If you decide you can go without them, you could go to guest services during your trip and just see what they quote for the upgrade.

Update: I just checked back in this thread. I upgraded a 7 day flex airmiles ticket (from airmiles website not personal shopper) in April, Disney valued it at $469.67 (I believe I paid 6400 airmiles, they have come down since then). I would expect the Canadian 7 day airmiles adult tickets to be no more than $375.74 usd as a credit (20% less).

Stopped at Staples this afternoon as it was my last opportunity to shop during Boom Boom and I was going by. Bought $150 in Rexall gift cards for the BMO offer. 50 airmiles isn't worth much effort but since I seem to be at Rexall regularly it was an easy thing to do.

Also, received a 20x airmileshops last night about 10:15pm, scrambled to put in an amazon order before midnight, that was all I could do on short notice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!