Air Miles Tickets

crazyfordisney2000

DIS Veteran
We are going to upgrade our air miles tickets to annual passes. I haven't ordered the tickets from air miles yet, should I wait to get the "more expensive" tickets, or get the Canadian discount tickets. From what I recall, the required amount of air miles before they changed it to "Canadian discount tickets" was the same. Am I wrong, it's been a while since I've looked into them..... TIA

We are going to upgrade our air miles tickets to annual passes. I haven't ordered the tickets from air miles yet, should I wait to get the "more expensive" tickets, or get the Canadian discount tickets. From what I recall, the required amount of air miles before they changed it to "Canadian discount tickets" was the same. Am I wrong, it's been a while since I've looked into them..... TIA
I would wait until the stock of the discounted tickets is cleared out and AM gets in the "real" tickets. There is no question the # of miles needed will jump significantly --it did in fact drop by about 25% (i think that was the discount??) when they started offering the CDN tickets. You would lose any realized discount if you were to upgrade the current tickets to Annual Passes so if you can wait out the supply AM is holding i would suggest hanging on a bit longer.

There is no question the # of miles needed will jump significantly --it did in fact drop by about 25% (i think that was the discount??) when they started offering the CDN tickets.

Not quite. I did the math at the time - Air Miles did not pass on the full discount. The miles drop was around 17%, plus or minus a percentage point or two (depended on the ticket).

As to OP's "buy now or later" question, who knows? The duck is right that the number of Air Miles will jump for sure. At least enough to cover the 17% discount, plus they will account for the February price increase. Whether it will be better or worse "value" remains to be seen. If you have lots of miles, lots of time, and would prefer to minimize cash outlay (even if your "return" on the Air Miles ends up being lower), it's probably worth waiting. If you're looking to maximize the value of your Air Miles, it's a harder call, and one that I don't think anyone can answer with better than even odds.

Agree - wait. If AM is fair, then the price when the regular tickets come back should be 4000 AM or less. The previous price was 3775 for a 7-day adult ticket. Why? Because they usually maintain a 10-11 cents/mile price. Right now a Universal ticket thru airmiles is worth just over 11 cents per mile. The current Canadian resident ticket is worth just over 9 cents per mile. So, if the regular tickets ever come back, they should hopefully be worth somewhere between 3969 (11 cents) to 4158 (10.5 cents).
I'm currently waiting for them to come back in, but I have a trip planned for next month and need an AM ticket. Apparently being an Onyx member gets you certain perks, such as the personal shopper service. I'm currently waiting to see if they can get me a regular ticket. Hopefully it will be in the range I quoted above, otherwise I'm stuck going with the Cdn ticket for this summer.

Agree - wait. If AM is fair, then the price when the regular tickets come back should be 4000 AM or less. The previous price was 3775 for a 7-day adult ticket. Why? Because they usually maintain a 10-11 cents/mile price. Right now a Universal ticket thru airmiles is worth just over 11 cents per mile. The current Canadian resident ticket is worth just over 9 cents per mile. So, if the regular tickets ever come back, they should hopefully be worth somewhere between 3969 (11 cents) to 4158 (10.5 cents).
I'm currently waiting for them to come back in, but I have a trip planned for next month and need an AM ticket. Apparently being an Onyx member gets you certain perks, such as the personal shopper service. I'm currently waiting to see if they can get me a regular ticket. Hopefully it will be in the range I quoted above, otherwise I'm stuck going with the Cdn ticket for this summer.
There was conversation awhile back over using the personal shopper to get Disney tickets that were different than what was offered on the AM site and the mark up they added was outrageous! Something about needing to cover their cost , was stupid $$$$

There was conversation awhile back over using the personal shopper to get Disney tickets that were different than what was offered on the AM site and the mark up they added was outrageous! Something about needing to cover their cost , was stupid $$$$

Probably! I guess I'll see when/if they contact me sometime this week. I'll post when I find out anything. Just not sure how long to leave getting a ticket for mid-August. I know they usually come in a few days, but my luck they'll run out of tickets just when I want one and I'll have to wait! No way I'm renewing an AP for $700+ US!

Should there be something on my AM ticket that says whether it was a discounted one or not? I can't remember how many miles i used for them. Thanks!

Should there be something on my AM ticket that says whether it was a discounted one or not? I can't remember how many miles i used for them. Thanks!

You would get a green exchange card not real card ticket if you order the discounted ticket. When linked to your MDE, the ticket is shown as Can ticket.

Just got the reply from the Personal Shopper service. They are offering me a REGULAR child's ticket for 4325 AM. I've done the math and it's still not great, but seems to work out better than the current CDN ticket. Can someone check my math as I need to order this today in order to make sure I'm going to get the ticket before we leave in mid-August. AM always says allow 3-4 weeks for delivery, so you never know.
Child's CDN 7-day ticket - 3150 AM for a value of $279.57 (got this value straight from Disney, so I hope they're right). This works out to 8.9 cents/AM

Regular 7-day child's ticket from PS - 4325 AM for a value of $415.35 (straight from Disney's website). This works out to 9.6 cents/AM

So, as I'm renewing an AP with the ticket, it should cost me $705.03 - $415.35 = $289.65 US

I'm still hoping that when the regular tickets come back to AM, the cents/AM will be in the 10-11 cent range, but for now, this seems to be the best option.

As I said, please check my math. I'll wait a bit before ordering the ticket in case I've missed something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter