Ages of your kids for Stroller use?

What Age do people stop taking a stroller for their children?

• Total voters

BobbyDukes

Mouseketeer
At what age do people bring their strollers for their kids. My good friends our travelling down with three kids, two of them are young girls who definitely need a stroller. The other child is a ten year old boy and his parents believe that he can do the whole trip walking. I simply warned them of the amount of walking that occurs at WDW.
SO I ask everyone at what age do ya'll stop bringing a stroller for?? I know, I know every kid is different and different abilities but whats the mean age.

Mine are 5 and 9 right now.

We stopped bringing a stroller approx late 4.

We do often rent a stroller at the bigger parks such as Epcot and DAK for the 5 year old. Mine have otherwise been fine to walk everywhere else. It's nice not having to lug a stroller around when travelling, but opt to get one there if little tired legs need a break. :-)

I was just searching stroller threads last night. My daughter will be 7 and son 4 on our next trip.

I think your ages choices are too high. There were posts that read their 4 year olds didn’t need strollers. It would be interesting to see younger ages added into your poll.

I would guess 7-8 is the average age kids stop using strollers at Disney.

It depends on the kids. Mine, 4 and 8, never use a stroller at home and are very sturdy. This last trip my eldest insisted on renting a double stroller and she looked ridiculous in it, but she did use it a bit. We walked about 20.000 steps a day, and it enabled us to stay out later with the kids. Next trip though, we are down to a single. And even then our 4yo likes to walk a lot - it’s only late in the day when her legs get tired.

Last trip I had a 2 yo, 6yo and 9yo. We took our city mini double. I wouldn't have taken a stroller for a 9 year old but he certainly was interested in getting in from time to time. With those ages and a double stroller I think that is fine. Lots of people come in all over the board on this. I knew my 6 year old would NEED a stroller (she complains a lot). There were times an adult carried the 2 year old and the 2 big kids rode (usually at the end of the night). We're going back in the fall and kids will be 4, 8, 11. I'm pretty sure I'm only taking a single but the 8 yo won't be happy. I'm picturing times she wants to hitch a ride or the 4 yo walks and she rides. It really varies from kid to kid but I wouldn't take a stroller strictly for 8 years or older but would expect they might want a ride if a stroller is available (if that makes sense). Went to DL years ago when kids were 2 and 5 and a friend brought her 5 year old. I had a double stroller and she didn't bring one, she ended up renting a stroller because her DD needed a rest.

We brought a stroller for our then 6 year-old and wondered if we should have. Turns out we only used it at the very end of every park day when the post-fireworks crowds exiting the park were densely-packed. The rest of the time it sat parked in one of the various stroller parking areas and served no purpose other than being a place to keep our rain ponchos and extra bottles of water.

Last edited:
At what age do people bring their strollers for their kids. My good friends our travelling down with three kids, two of them are young girls who definitely need a stroller. The other child is a ten year old boy and his parents believe that he can do the whole trip walking. I simply warned them of the amount of walking that occurs at WDW.
SO I ask everyone at what age do ya'll stop bringing a stroller for?? I know, I know every kid is different and different abilities but whats the mean age.

The parents are right, an able bodied 10 year old is perfectly capable of walking around WDW.
I know every kid is different and to each his own, my kids did not use strollers at WDW past 4. We took small breaks if needed and we just went at a pace the kids could handle.
My boys were in 5th/6th grade when they were 10, way too old for a stroller no matter where you are.

Unless the child has special needs, sensory issues, or physical disabilities, a 10 year old does not need a stroller.

I have a 10 year old. There is no way I'm pushing her around in a stroller. She has typical abilities for a 10 year old and we have done Disney 1-3 times per year for the last several years. She has had zero issues walking any more than an adult. We all take small breaks for everyone, which I would encourage for anyone visiting Disney, no matter the age.

Adding that our stroller (we do still have a 4 year old) is basically a push cart for our cooler with drinks and snacks, sunscreen, popcorn... LOL

We last used a stroller when my son was 5. That was a single stroller and my then 8 year old DD walked and my DS only used it a few times like late at night. When we went last year my DS was almost 6 and the stroller stayed home. We walked an average of 11 miles a day for 8 days straight and everyone was fine. Just take a break and get a snack if the kids get tired. I cannot even imagine pushing around a 10 year old in a stroller. My DD is now almost 10 and she would think I was a crazy person if I even suggested it (as would my almost 7 year old DS).

Disney World can be a great motivator for the whole family to get more active in the months leading up to the trip. We have been encouraging my DD to move more and going on walks as a family. I’m debating getting her the Fitbit for kids so she can see her steps (and so I can get an idea of what her average is / what we need to work towards).

On our next trip my DD will be 8, DS will be 5, and other DS will be 3. We will be bringing a double stroller for the boys but I think age 5 is my limit for the stroller.

Oooh this is one of the touchiest issues on the DIS. The “don’t let kids use a stroller as soon as they can walk” brigade can be as scary as anti-vaxxers. A few months ago someone posted here, approvingly, that she would expect her six-year old son to be physically assaulted upon his return to school if one of his classmates noticed him in a stroller at WDW.

No strollers and carry their own Camelbak backpack starting at 4/5 (I think my daughter turned 5 on the trip we were first stroller free) - no problems. They are now 13, 14, 17. If they are tired or whining, it’s time for a break in the room or at the pool.

10 year olds are in 5th grade! Nobody (without a disability) should be in a stroller when they are in or about to be in middle school!

Oooh this is one of the touchiest issues on the DIS. The “don’t let kids use a stroller as soon as they can walk” brigade can be as scary as anti-vaxxers. A few months ago someone posted here, approvingly, that she would expect her six-year old son to be physically assaulted upon his return to school if one of his classmates noticed him in a stroller at WDW.

We aren't talking about a debate about 6-7 year olds. We are talking about whether or not a child without any special needs or disabilities who is 10 year olds need a stroller. At some point it's no longer a gray issue. My 14 year old doesn't need a stroller, either. My husband would probably love it if I pushed him in a stroller, but I'm not doing that, either.

my daughters were 3 and 5. We took an umbrella stroller. Prior to the trip my dad would take the girls all over for hikes. They walked all over. The 3 yr old only used the stroller to nap. Our next trip the girls were 5 and 7 and no stroller at all. (I also had each girl wear a small backpack with their water bottle and "stuff") We just took breaks when needed.

We aren't talking about a debate about 6-7 year olds. We are talking about whether or not a child without any special needs or disabilities who is 10 year olds need a stroller. At some point it's no longer a gray issue. My 14 year old doesn't need a stroller, either. My husband would probably love it if I pushed him in a stroller, but I'm not doing that, either.
Why is there no LOVE button??

my daughters were 3 and 5. We took an umbrella stroller. Prior to the trip my dad would take the girls all over for hikes. They walked all over. The 3 yr old only used the stroller to nap. Our next trip the girls were 5 and 7 and no stroller at all. (I also had each girl wear a small backpack with their water bottle and "stuff") We just took breaks when needed.
I highly recommend you get them some Camelbaks (or similar water backpacks) they will love having the water tube right over their shoulder!

I agree, this is one of the hottest topics on here. Your ages are too high for me to vote. We bought a cheap stroller for my you get DS the year he was 4 1/2 and was glad I did but that was the only time we used it. By the time they are 5 and in school, they should be able to walk WDW. (Please no flames, this is my opinion for average abilities based on ages. I understand there are kids with special needs or kids with below average physical abilities that may need a stroller and there is no judgement here) If not, you need to slow down. Sure, it’s a lot of walking, and they will get tired. Take appropriate breaks, Slow down and watch some shows, or a parade. A 10 year old is way to old and way to big to be pushed in a stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter