age restriction on Edge club?

NashvilleMama

DIS Veteran
The threads I've found on this are all a few years old so want to see if anyone has a recent experience:

We'll be traveling with family - 5 cousins - and they'll be 12, 12, 12, 10, and 5. BIG age gap between the 4 oldest and the youngest little guy. It's reading to me like my DD10 won't be able to get into Edge with the 3 12yo kids....which honestly may devastate her and I'm seriously considering if we shouldn't wait another year until they can all hang out together.

Is it still a case by case situation depending on how full the clubs are on that particular cruise? Or has anyone had recent experiences that can put me at ease on this one?

thx!

We went on the Fantasy the end of May this year and my 10, almost 11 year old was able to go. We just had to go with him the first time and sign some paperwork. I know our ship was overall pretty full but not sure how many kids in that range were aboard to say for sure if it is dependent on how full they are.

The threads I've found on this are all a few years old so want to see if anyone has a recent experience:

We'll be traveling with family - 5 cousins - and they'll be 12, 12, 12, 10, and 5. BIG age gap between the 4 oldest and the youngest little guy. It's reading to me like my DD10 won't be able to get into Edge with the 3 12yo kids....which honestly may devastate her and I'm seriously considering if we shouldn't wait another year until they can all hang out together.

Is it still a case by case situation depending on how full the clubs are on that particular cruise? Or has anyone had recent experiences that can put me at ease on this one?

thx!
My daughter was able to do Edge at 10 years 7 months on the Wonder, but there were very few kids on the sailing. We didn't ask, we just went for Open House and they asked us and then checked their list and allowed her to go.

When we went on the Magic this summer, there were PAGES of 11 year olds on the ship, so I'm pretty sure they didn't allow any 10 year olds. Edge was always packed!

ALL of your kids listed above can go to the Oceaneers Club/Lab though. It is 3-12.

My daughter loves that she can do both the Edge and Oceaneers.

They tend to be very strict about ages allowed. I doubt if a two year gap will be tolerated. However 12 year olds are still allowed in the oceaneer club but most kids 12 and over will want to move up to the Edge because the activities are more geared to their age.. She should have a fine time in her own age appropriate club and maybe one or more of the cousins will stay with her. But I’m one of those grandparents that don’t tolerate whining so if she wants to pout about not being with her cousins my response would be...theN stay in the room until you act better and learn how to be appreciative of what you do have.

There is still a lot they can do together that doesn't involve the kids' clubs. Pools, movies, shows, etc. If your daughter is allowed into the Edge, keep in mind there will be kids up to age 14 years old in the Edge.
Also, there is no ability to sign in or out of Edge. The kids come and go as they please, so if you were hoping she'd be a secure area, that's not the case. If it's for the activities, don't forget the Edge will have Open Houses where she will be allowed.

For what it's worth, my 11 year old went to Edge once and didn't care for it at all, she preferred the oceanears club. She is an "old" 11 year old, my size, and very mature but loves to have fun. I think the counselors just interacted with the kids more there. It was her 5th DCL. I say all this because maybe your 12 year olds will have fun in oceanears too.

Also, a couple of times during the cruise they will have "open house" at Edge. During open house your 10yo would be able to go in there.

once, we were able to do it by going with our daughter to ask and signing the paperwork. On a previous cruise, she went alone and asked and they told her no.

If you are looking for a guarantee that a 10-yr-old will be allow to move up, nobody can give that. It does depend on the demographics of your particular cruise -- how many kids legitimately within the 11-14 age group are there, plus how many 10-yr-olds are onboard (they'll only allow 1 if they can extend the same to all). That said, most reports I've read mention "no problem" allowing a 10 to age up. But you will need to wait until you are onboard and stop by to find out for sure. As others mentioned, all the kids can go to the Club/Lab or do other activities around the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!

They tend to be very strict about ages allowed. I doubt if a two year gap will be tolerated. However 12 year olds are still allowed in the oceaneer club but most kids 12 and over will want to move up to the Edge because the activities are more geared to their age.. She should have a fine time in her own age appropriate club and maybe one or more of the cousins will stay with her. But I’m one of those grandparents that don’t tolerate whining so if she wants to pout about not being with her cousins my response would be...theN stay in the room until you act better and learn how to be appreciative of what you do have.

Just wanted to clarify- the Edge is for 11-14 year olds so it’s not a 2 year gap.

Also wanted to clarify Disney has a hard 3 year old and hard 18 year old cutoffs, but within Edge and Vibe they allow, with parent permission, for kids to move up as long as they are within a year and there is availability. That is their official, but unpublished, policy.

If my 10.5yo does get permission to go to Edge, will he also be allowed to go to the Oceaneers Lab?
We're planning on letting him have checkout privileges either way.

My 14 year old who had been in Vibe for 3 cruises got invited to Edge on our last cruise. He declined.

My 11 year old was interested but the kids were on the older range so she went to Oceaneer. There were only 272 kids under 18 on that cruise.

In March, 2017 our daughter (10.5) was allowed in Edge with our visit and permission. She loved it, our mistake was waiting too late in the cruise to do it so everyone had already buddied up. Our next cruise (March, 2019) she will be 12 and we will register her for both Edge and Oceaneer as her younger cousins (4, 4, 8, 8) will be there.

It's cruise and child specific if Edge works for 10 year olds.

If my 10.5yo does get permission to go to Edge, will he also be allowed to go to the Oceaneers Lab?
We're planning on letting him have checkout privileges either way.
We've been on four cruises in the last year. The Edge has had less kids then the Vibe for some reason. Anyway if it's off season from what I've seen the last few cruises it probably won't be any issue. Yes your child can go back and forth.

We recently cruised with a 13, 11, 11 and 6 - so they could not all hang out together in any club. The 3 older would go to the edge when the younger had certain activities in the Lab/Club she wanted to do. They spent a lot of time together in the pools (with an adult), eating ice cream, and the family fun activities like Trivia, Animation, games, etc.

I'll also add on the prior cruise my girls were 12 and 10 1/2 and the 10 yo was allowed in Edge - but they just didn't love it. They did most of the other activities I mentioned, and it was a more port intensive cruise.

Welp - leave it up to a random issue like this to push me to investigate other options. I'm 99.9% sure we're now going to do this Alaska cruise on Princess in 2020 instead of Disney. The insane price difference just can't be justified, coupled with not being positive all the cousins will be able to hang out together in the clubs which is a huge purpose of this multi-family trip. Thanks for all the feedback on this!

My ten year old went to Edge. As another poster noted you have to go with them to sign the form allowing them to go to Edge. You have to be okay with them checking themselves in and out. This is where the app was great for me. We had a deal if he wanted to leave Edge he had to text me and tell me where he was going.

Welp - leave it up to a random issue like this to push me to investigate other options. I'm 99.9% sure we're now going to do this Alaska cruise on Princess in 2020 instead of Disney. The insane price difference just can't be justified, coupled with not being positive all the cousins will be able to hang out together in the clubs which is a huge purpose of this multi-family trip. Thanks for all the feedback on this!
Have you checked the kid's clubs ages on Princess? Do they work better for you? (Since that's apparently an important consideration for you)

I do know, on Princess, if you have children in different clubs, and you want them together, the older has to "age down". There's no "aging up" on Princess, from what I've read.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter