• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

After the "sticky" at the top, I'm afraid

rlyrehc

Mouseketeer
When we fly to WDW next Tues. I will be 2 weeks off of major abdominal surgery. I feel fine albeit I get tired extremely quickly. I was thinking of renting one of the electric wheel chairs in order to take a tour while my husband is in a conference. After reading the "sticky" post at the top of this forum, I'm afraid. Is it offensive to rent one since I am fully capable of walking? I know people will be wondering when I park the chair and get up to follow the guide onto rides. Am I being rude? :confused3

The answer is NO, NO, NO.
I read your post on another board and you have a very good reason to rent a scooter/ecv (just for reference, a power or electric wheelchair is different than an ecv. If you ask for one of those, you will be told they don't rent them).
You have a temporary need for an ecv. Some people have a permanent need for one.
Most people won't think anything of you using one, and if they do - you don't know them, will probably not see them again, they have no idea what your needs are and have no right to judge.
You know that right now you need one and your opinion is the only one that matters.

First an answer to a question you did not ask. Several years ago I had a kidney removed. My doctor knew I went to the parks often. He told me that for the next six months when I went, if at an attraction there was a sign warning pregnant mothers, people with bad backs, or people with heart conditions from riding it would also apply to me.

Now a few questions and answers:

Are you disabled? Yes, although temporarily.

Do you need assistance (such as an ECV) for stamina problems? Yes!

Are you fully capable of walking through the parks, realizing that once around World Showcase at Epcot if about 1.25 miles? No!

Do you, and people with you, realize you have a disability and require assistance? Yes.

Is there any reason why any stranger should care about the fact that you are using an ECV? No.

Even if some stranger should care about the fact that you are using an ECV, is there any conceivable reason why you should care what that person thinks? No!!

I hope this helps put your fears/concerns to rest. By the way, if I am ever questioned about my use of my (personally owned) ECV I will sweetly tell them I would be willing to give them the ECV if they will also take all my disabilities.

I want join the chorus of people telling you to rent an ECV.

Ten years back we were at WDW while my wife was on a waiting list to have her hip joint replaced. She could walk short distances, but after a while her hip would start to hurt and she would get referred pain all up and down her leg. No way could she cope with walking around a park all day. She rented an ECV, but would often get off it and walk around a while ( walking a short while actually gave her temporary relief from the pain) into say, the shops in Epcot's world showcase. If you saw her walking around you wouldn't be aware she had a problem. No one (and I repeat no one) made a comment about her using an ECV.

Second story:

Last trip we met up with a friend who had recently had surgery on one of her feet. She rented an ECV. Although there were no visible signs of her temporary disability, no-one made a comment.

Third story:

My Father In Law is now 93. He is a proud man and wouldn't admit he was getting older. He wouldn't rent an ECV 'because I'm not disabled'. However, he was getting unsteady on his feet. He used to love pushing my wheelchair because everyone would see a fit 90 year old pushing his disabled son-in-law around. What no-one would be aware of, was that mine was a powered electric wheelchair and I was driving along slowly so that he had something to hold onto and steady himself. Last year (after a fall) he finally gave in and bought himself an ECV. He is much happier now.

I have to admit that at one time or another, I have suffered many of the problems listed in the 'sticky' above. But you get used to it, shrug, and carry on with life. Better by far to have the ocassional idiot crowd in front of you or stop without warning, than not to enjoy your trip to Disney. Let 'Illegitimus Non carborundum' be your motto!

You should not let pride or fear of what others might think stop you from renting an ECV.

Andrew

Andrew Bichard said:
What no-one would be aware of, was that mine was a powered electric wheelchair and I was driving along slowly so that he had something to hold onto and steady himself.

Andrew

Amanda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter