After re-opening, how big will the discounts be?

JaNelson38

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone-

Our family has been planning a fall 2020 trip for 2 years now. Early on in the situation everyone is dealing with, I was pessimistic it would happen. I've gotten more optimistic as the week has gone on with the more positive news regarding the virus, medication, etc. that life will return to normalcy sooner rather than later and that probably by June or maybe July at the latest, WDW will reopen again.

My question is, since this is an unprecedented situation, what kind of discounts will WDW run to get people to the parks again? Similar to what they were after 9/11? We've budgeted well for certain things and were planning a value resort stay but obviously would upgrade if the situation presents itself. I think fall will be a very advantageous time to visit for those that will have the means and opportunity. If some seasoned WDW veterans want to weigh in on this I'd appreciate it!

Hey everyone-

Our family has been planning a fall 2020 trip for 2 years now. Early on in the situation everyone is dealing with, I was pessimistic it would happen. I've gotten more optimistic as the week has gone on with the more positive news regarding the virus, medication, etc. that life will return to normalcy sooner rather than later and that probably by June or maybe July at the latest, WDW will reopen again.

My question is, since this is an unprecedented situation, what kind of discounts will WDW run to get people to the parks again? Similar to what they were after 9/11? We've budgeted well for certain things and were planning a value resort stay but obviously would upgrade if the situation presents itself. I think fall will be a very advantageous time to visit for those that will have the means and opportunity. If some seasoned WDW veterans want to weigh in on this I'd appreciate it!
In the early days after things start to open up, discounts may be needed to coax people out of isolation.
Once things start to get back to normal there is going to be a huge surge of people who want to get out and do stuff, expect prices to rise and availability to drop.

Having said that, we are currently just starting on the upside of the "curve" and seeing huge daily increases in cases and deaths due to the Coronavirus. A more realistic expectation for "things returning to normal" would be more likely in the 4-6 month range or longer.
Some medical experts are saying that this whole thing could take 18 months to 2 years to run it's full course.
Personally, we've started looking at flights in October or November and keeping our fingers crossed.

FYI, our vacation was supposed to start today, 7 Disney days and a cruise was planned. Everything is cancelled and refunded into travel credits. Everything was booked and meticulously planned 6 months ago...who knew. Best laid plans...

I personally could see it going either way in the short term. Lots of people have rescheduled for 2020 which means Disney doesn't need to offer discounts. But the big question is how many people actually keep those rescheduled vacations as we eventual go back to normal. I could see there being more last minute discounting. Disney is going to do whatever it can to keep revenue numbers up.

My very uneducated guess is that we will see more discounts in 2021 as we settle into the new normal.

Significant discounts. Demand is going to be low, there will be high unemployment and too many in difficult financial situations.

Will it be buy 4 nights, tickets, dining plan and get 3 nights, tickets, and dining plan free, similar to 2009? Wouldn't surprise me.
I remember staying at AKL with a Savannah view on that deal.....definitely magical.

I hope so. A discount might get me there in Jan 2021. Otherwise, highly unlikely we'll make it back for awhile.

we were supposed to arrive at Disney next Tuesday to celebrate my retirement. Moved the trip to October. if Disney is only operating at 50-75% I will be looking for an equal discount. I understand the reasons they may decide to limit access, but if we are only able to experience a portion of what was available pre-Covid 19 then it's not worth to me if there is not a significant discount. April 2021 would be the next option

With the rack rates so astronomically high now, a 30-40% discount will not be enough for many guest.
They will test the waters with the lowest discount possible.

likely will save the largest discounts for packages that include ticket purchases & only open a % of resorts/buildings within them to save on overhead.

They will test the waters with the lowest discount possible.

likely will save the largest discounts for packages that include ticket purchases & only open a % of resorts/buildings within them to save on overhead.
Right, they will start low and see how far they get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!