After covid, more unused points chasing limited room availability?

brewcrew

DIS Veteran
With DVC shutdown for the last two months, will there be limited room availability for the next year or two (more limited than before)? These lost two months means members have more points, but the same amount of rooms as before.

Correct. That is why they have put in the restriction to borrow only 50% of ones points per contract,

And also why they are returning borrowed 2021 points to the original use year. They are trying to help spread out the excess.

If the closures extend into June, the pain will increase.

I think Disney is trying to deal with this as best they can to try and be fair to all DVC owners. I hope the resorts open soon to help alleviate the problem going forward. As mentioned above if this continues the worse it gets.

I’m still hoping if the non-DVC resorts aren’t booking, they would consider trying to reach a temporary accommodation to allow members to book them via a more reasonable point structure than is in place now.

I’m still hoping if the non-DVC resorts aren’t booking, they would consider trying to reach a temporary accommodation to allow members to book them via a more reasonable point structure than is in place now.

This could be a good plan-- for all of the DVC resorts that are not stand alone, at least. Add rooms to the roster to make up for the point glut that will have built up during closing--- 2 months is 16%....

It's going to be more than just these couple of months that impact things. I can imagine that a good number of owners will be banking their 2020, and even 2021 points as much as possible. They won't want to go to a theme park that is either restricted or a potential place to get the virus. This will lead to a mess going all the way into 2023 or so.

This could be a good plan-- for all of the DVC resorts that are not stand alone, at least. Add rooms to the roster to make up for the point glut that will have built up during closing--- 2 months is 16%....

Id be surprised if Disney goes for this. It’s been mentioned that in normal trading, a DVC room goes with it. In order to have more access to non DVC, WDPR has to agree to not take a DVC villa to sell for cash.

That is why we saw a reduction in borrowing...to space stuff out

Id be surprised if Disney goes for this. It’s been mentioned that in normal trading, a DVC room goes with it. In order to have more access to non DVC, WDPR has to agree to not take a DVC villa to sell for cash.

That is why we saw a reduction in borrowing...to space stuff out
Sure. the reduction in borrowing helps space things out, but in actuality we are talking about a large portion of points that have lost their value, due to the fact that total points equal total availability. If the closure makes it to 3 months, everyone has lost 25% of their annual allotment to nothingness. The people who are early bookers will fill in ok, but the ones who wait will be losing.... I guess there is probably a decent amount of people who lose their points every year, so some could be absorbed there... IDK...

Sure. the reduction in borrowing helps space things out, but in actuality we are talking about a large portion of points that have lost their value, due to the fact that total points equal total availability. If the closure makes it to 3 months, everyone has lost 25% of their annual allotment to nothingness. The people who are early bookers will fill in ok, but the ones who wait will be losing.... I guess there is probably a decent amount of people who lose their points every year, so some could be absorbed there... IDK...

The borrowing rule won’t take care of it all, But, WDPR has no obligation to help out the DVC system, and give the losses they are facing with the closure of their hotels, it doesn’t seem likely they are going to give DVC owners what amounts to free rooms just to use up points,

The borrowing rule won’t take care of it all, But, WDPR has no obligation to help out the DVC system, and give the losses they are facing with the closure of their hotels, it doesn’t seem likely they are going to give DVC owners what amounts to free rooms just to use up points,
I agree, they probably won't. But it would be a good solution. instead of nothing...

I agree, they probably won't. But it would be a good solution. instead of nothing...
DVC members have a reputation of not spending quite as much as the occasional visitor but having members staying in a resort room without any sort of kitchen could at lest support dining facilities at whatever resort.

I think Disney is trying to deal with this as best they can to try and be fair to all DVC owners. I hope the resorts open soon to help alleviate the problem going forward. As mentioned above if this continues the worse it gets.
i would agree that Disney is trying to figure out the best way to deal with this.
I suspect it may be ugly trying to get some reservations for the next year with all the excess points from 2 months of cancellations.

Well, I hate to mention it, but there are more than a few experts saying there is a chance things will drag on for ugh years if no viable vaccine is developed. Sigh. So much differing information to sift thru, it’s daunting.

how that would translate to DVC actively accepting guests going forward is something nobody can truly predict. Last minute guest cancellations (pre 30 day mark) may become a way for people to grab a reservation going forward

Appears that friends/acquaintances who know we own DVC & will travel to WDW as soon as we feel it meets our acceptable level of risk, are using us as a barometer of sorts

Not sure I want to wear that mantle The federal government has basically left things up to the various states, where there is a veritable a hodgepodge of policies. I’m of a more positive frame of mind & both mask/glove up when out & about but we do have beach travel plans & WDW for August

my advice to all is to educate yourself in general, then be prepared to adhere to whatever edicts are in place, in whatever locality. We are all in this together, especially as we begin to emerge from quarantine.

Last edited:
A empty room for Disney cost them money! A free room to DVC and a family of four earns Disney what? $500 per day easy? Seems like a easy choice for Disney!

A empty room for Disney cost them money! A free room to DVC and a family of four earns Disney what? $500 per day easy? Seems like a easy choice for Disney!

A free room to any family of 4 would earn them the same thing. Nothing special about DVC owners,

A free room to any family of 4 would earn them the same thing. Nothing special about DVC owners,
It would help clear up the points problem right? Also a family of four in a room may not spend a dime at Disney right? A DVC family would be different right?

I know I'm wrong because you never are right?

It would help clear up the points problem right? Also a family of four in a room may not spend a dime at Disney right? A DVC family would be different right?

I know I'm wrong because you never are right?

Points problem isn’t Disneys problem. Its DVCs problem. That is my only point, I do not believe DVC families spend more than the average family.

So, if they are giving away rooms for free, I just don’t think DVC owners are more entitled to them than your average guest. I realize others disagree.

If Disney isnt even allowing cash guests whose trips were canceled to keep their free dining recovery deal, I doubt they are going to change their agreement with DVC to give things away.

Opinions, nothing more,,

Points problem isn’t Disneys problem. Its DVCs problem. That is my only point, I do not believe DVC families spend more than the average family.

So, if they are giving away rooms for free, I just don’t think DVC owners are more entitled to them than your average guest. I realize others disagree.

If Disney isnt even allowing cash guests whose trips were canceled to keep their free dining recovery deal, I doubt they are going to change their agreement with DVC to give things away.
Keep posting the same thing doesn't change anything! Disney is not going to give away free room to anyone on the street! A empty room cost Disney money! A DVC family will spend money at Disney! That is a fact!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!