Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the pictures indicates a ‘no fly zone’. We were at WDW last week and spent a couple of days at the water parks. I was surprised to see helicopters flying overhead on both days. I don’t remember experiencing this at WDW before. Is it a company that offers overhead tours of WDW or just a coincidence/something different with the locations of the water parks?

There are a few companies just outside property that offer tours. They aren't allowed over Magic Kingdom and have been asked to not go over Animal Kingdom. But the other parks are all quite common to see one over or at least quite close.

One of the pictures indicates a ‘no fly zone’. We were at WDW last week and spent a couple of days at the water parks. I was surprised to see helicopters flying overhead on both days. I don’t remember experiencing this at WDW before. Is it a company that offers overhead tours of WDW or just a coincidence/something different with the locations of the water parks?
No fly zone is mainly over the MK area. Most of the helicopters are overhead tours.

In line with what others have mentioned, if you look at the "no fly zone" photo, it's of the new hotel building at Coronado Springs, facing towards Magic Kingdom (Space Mountain, Contemporary, BLT are prominent in the background). Guess it's a 3-mile radius from Magic Kingdom (and Disneyland too).

Blizzard Beach is south of CSR, so it's outside that curved perimeter. I think Epcot may be (partially?) inside the no fly zone, but Typhoon Lagoon would be outside as well.

I know there has been quite a bit of talk about how far the bus stops are from the entrance but I think this photo shows that they aren't any farther than the other three parks. Yeah if you have to walk to the end it seems daunting but likewise if you are one of the first stops you are actually pretty darn close. This picture shows it pretty well. Like I said before, glad they got the overheads to shade the sun.

bus loop.JPG

I know there has been quite a bit of talk about how far the bus stops are from the entrance but I think this photo shows that they aren't any farther than the other three parks. Yeah if you have to walk to the end it seems daunting but likewise if you are one of the first stops you are actually pretty darn close. This picture shows it pretty well. Like I said before, glad they got the overheads to shade the sun.

View attachment 348313
Granted I always liked Hollywood studios’ parking for handicapped (family as some health problems id rather not relate online) as well as the bus stops being that literally close to the entrance. Who am I to complain but for once I guess I can understand why some do

View attachment 348313
I had friends measure their walking time 2 weeks ago and at a moderate pace it took them 4 1/2 minutes to get from the park entrance to the Pop Century stop which is the furthest from the park entrance. Not nearly as daunting at the 20 minutes we saw published when the new stops first opened!

As you say, the shaded stops/protection from rain will be nice too!

Interesting to note how much closer the Skyliner is to the entrance, than the bus loops.

Incentive for guests to book a stay at a Skyliner resort :smooth: $$$
Will definitely make Parkhopping DHS and Epcot a breeze too though for all guests.

No fly zone is mainly over the MK area. Most of the helicopters are overhead tours.

The center point of the No-Fly zone (per the FAA website) is just to the south of the Contemporary Resort as you can see from the pin on the below image. It extends up to 3,000 feet above ground level and for 3 nautical miles (6076 ft X 3 = 18,228 ft) in all directions. To give a sense, that covers all of the Bay Lake and Seven Seas lagoon areas including all the resorts, the Magic Kingdom and the north Service Area. It takes it south to a point that sweeps around the southern edge of World Showcase in Epcot and when you sweep that around it covers the Epcot Resorts on Crescent Lake but no other park is covered by that 3-mile perimeter. That's why you can always see the sightseeing helicopters south of World Showcase at Epcot (including the one that does the IllumiNations flight) Studios, and Animal Kingdom.

The really annoying part is anyone who lives in the residential neighborhoods to the north, are also included in the no-fly zone and if they tried to buy a drone recently, they learned they can't launch it in their backyard due to it being restricted by the FAA NFZ.

NoFly Zone.jpg

The really annoying part is anyone who lives in the residential neighborhoods to the north, are also included in the no-fly zone and if they tried to buy a drone recently, they learned they can't launch it in their backyard due to it being restricted by the FAA NFZ.
I'm inside that zone. Its funny that part of my development (including my house) is in the restricted area but other parts are not.

Incentive for guests to book a stay at a Skyliner resort :smooth: $$$
Will definitely make Parkhopping DHS and Epcot a breeze too though for all guests.
It will although similar to taking the monorail between MK and Epcot, the Skyliner will require at transfer at Caribbean Beach Resort.

I'll be interested to find out what the time difference is between Friendship boats (which also have a close location to entrance at DHS) and the Skyliners. Unfortunately I'm guessing both can be affected by bad weather.

I'll be interested to find out what the time difference is between Friendship boats (which also have a close location to entrance at DHS) and the Skyliners. .

Me to, and my guess is we will have that answer within the first hour the Skyliner opens, certainly throughout the first day anyway.

I'm leaning towards the skyliner winning, but some folks will prefer sitting the entire boat ride over the CBR transfer. Others will prefer the more private skyliner (depending on group size, avail etc) and likely a more interesting visual/view experience. Oh and some will want AC at times.

Some of us want to get those steps in and walk (dang Fitbit curse).

Last edited:
I think this is the first set of aerials I've seen that captures the magnitude/scale of these projects.

I was wondering if it is how far along it is now that makes the size and immersive prospect apparent from the aerials. Could also be we now know what TSL and Pandora are like to compare sizes of the projects and understand the immersive possibilities.

Last edited:
It will although similar to taking the monorail between MK and Epcot, the Skyliner will require at transfer at Caribbean Beach Resort.

I'll be interested to find out what the time difference is between Friendship boats (which also have a close location to entrance at DHS) and the Skyliners. Unfortunately I'm guessing both can be affected by bad weather.

I think it's really going to come down to how long you have to wait for the boat. If the boat is there and waiting, I think they time will be pretty close, otherwise I think the Skyliner will end up being faster unless there a really big line waiting to board.

I think it's really going to come down to how long you have to wait for the boat. If the boat is there and waiting, I think they time will be pretty close, otherwise I think the Skyliner will end up being faster unless there a really big line waiting to board.

Agree. The boat takes 20-25 minutes which is why so many people get off at the YC and walk the rest of the way while the boat is going to the Boardwalk before heading to the IGW.

I just don't see the Gondolas not being faster. I can walk Epcot to MGM faster than the boat, the Gondola moves constantly much faster than I can walk. I imagine it'll be 10-12 minutes versus the 25 minutes. So half not including wait time for the boat.

I was wondering if it is how far along it is now that makes the size and immersive prospect apparent from the aerials. Could also be we now know what TSL and Pandora are like to compare sizes of the projects and understand the immersive possibilities.

Just got back from TSL and, even my critical/engineering side, must give a virtual high-five to Disney Imagineers/construction workers/staff for an incredible experience. The only question I have is does this land have sustaining power for those children that cannot relate, directly, to these games/toys. Otherwise, I give it a solid grade.

ETA: I believe there is a well rumored expansion area for TSL, but the magnitude appears to be quite limited. I think we are seeing a paradigm shift happening in that any new "land" being developed will require a marketing projection on future expansions based on data (empirical?).

Last edited:
I just don't see the Gondolas not being faster. I can walk Epcot to MGM faster than the boat, the Gondola moves constantly much faster than I can walk. I imagine it'll be 10-12 minutes versus the 25 minutes. So half not including wait time for the boat.

10 to 12 minutes travel time would be about right, but then you need to figure in at least a couple minutes to transfer at the CBR station, and how ever long you have to wait in line to board.

The only question I have is does this land have sustaining power for those children that cannot relate, directly, to these games/toys.
My kids are 12 and 13 and they know most of the games. Most are still made today and are common gifts at kids' bday parties, in my experience. I did explain Lincoln Logs... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!