Advice to Those New at RVing

NightGuardianAngel

Mouseketeer
This is my advice for anyone completely new at RVing

1. Never plug your rig directly into shore power. Always use a surge protector and plug the surge protector into the pedestal first to test the pedestal to see if there are any errors before plugging your rig into the surge protector. One time, I received an error code and after doing some troubleshooting myself, I called the maintenance personnel and they found out the wires in the pedestal were melted so they moved me to another campsite. Also, a surge protector can protect your rig’s electrical system.

2. Always use a regulator when connecting your tig to the city water hookup (I usually set the regulator to 40 psi). Water pressures can vary by campgrounds and by location and it will save your rig’s plumbing. Also, use a filter as well too to keep particulate matter out of the rig’s plumbing.

I'll add to your #1, do this before you unhook your rig in case you need to move. It's always the very first thing we do before we even finish putting the rig exactly where we want it. We've had to move more than once.

Another one - after you have parked your rig where you want it, if it's a TT or 5th wheel, chalk the wheels before you unhook. I can't tell you how many times I've watched people unhook their rigs without chalking the wheels, it can move once it's unhooked.

Look up before you park, lots of parks have trees with low hanging branches. People tend to look all around them but not up. I watched a couple park their TT just this weekend and a limb ended up sitting right on top of the back of the rig. When the pull out it is going to scratch their roof since it's a huge live oak limb. I didn't notice it until after they had parked or I would have warned them. Also, before you unhook, if you have slides make sure nothing is in the way. Use whatever method you want to measure. We know where ours come out by using the length of my arms for the slides and my wing span for our steps.

Look up before you park, lots of parks have trees with low hanging branches. People tend to look all around them but not up. I watched a couple park their TT just this weekend and a limb ended up sitting right on top of the back of the rig.
Definitely get out and look at everything (up, down, around). The one time I didn't do this (was rushed into backing my motorhome into a site at a state park by a guy in a 5th wheel) I backed into a picnic table. It was on my blind side pushed half way into the site when they cut the grass. $7,000 in fiberglass/paint later, I ALWAYS get out and walk around to look for silly wayward picnic tables. (Honk all you want Mr. 5th wheel in the donked out pickup. ) :)

j

Please, teach your family basic campground etiquette! (don't cut through sites, be extra loud late at night, don't watch your exterior tv at all hours, turn off your lights when you're done for the night, park only 1 vehicle at your site.....)
Practice setting up your RV at home before your maiden voyage. Remember, anything you forgot...there's aways a Walmart nearby!
Oh and fancy tp will indeed mess up your plumbing!

Please, teach your family basic campground etiquette! (don't cut through sites, be extra loud late at night, don't watch your exterior tv at all hours, turn off your lights when you're done for the night, park only 1 vehicle at your site.....)
Practice setting up your RV at home before your maiden voyage. Remember, anything you forgot...there's aways a Walmart nearby!
Oh and fancy tp will indeed mess up your plumbing!
There are a lot of newbies and I agree, someone needs to gently pass on that knowledge from seasoned campers. Well said :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter