Advice, please: Yacht Club or Boardwalk?

jenmsmith

DIS Veteran
DH and I are headed to WDW in November to celebrate my 40th birthday. My quandary: should we stay at the Yacht Club with its newly refurbished rooms and the BC/YC amenities? Or should we save $250 and stay at the Boardwalk?

We stayed one night at the Boardwalk this May and enjoyed it. We've also stayed at Beach Club and had a nice stay, but for a few noisy neighbors (which can happen anywhere, I know).

DH is fine with whatever I decide. But I can't decide.

Pros and cons? Advice?

I would, and do, go with whichever one is less, including Swan/Dolphin. While YC is my favorite resort at WDW, saving money is saving money to me. I've had great stays at BW. I won't stay at BC unless nothing is available at any of the other resorts just because if I'm staying in one of the WDW resorts and not Swan/Dolphin, by george I want a full balcony. Silly since Swan/Dolphin have very few balcony rooms and those actually cost more but in my mind, that's how it works.

Are they the same basic rooms at YC and BWI? Garden view, standard view or pool(YC)/Water(BWI)?

Well questions like this are very hard to answer.

You save $250 but that could be a ton to a family, or nothing. Only you know how impactful that is.

You spent time at both hotels, so you already know the basics.

If the better pool vs being on the “boardwalk” side of things is more important, well again, you know better then us.

Sorry, less then helpful, but seems like you have the answers

YC is great if you want to feel young(er than most guests)
Although I'm not up on all that has changed in the last year and a half... I really enjoyed my Christmas at YC. :goodvibes

If SAB is not an important consideration, I think I would choose based on dining. (Which as more places you would dine at)
Boardwalk has more limited QS options if that is a consideration.

I would probably lean BWI for the $

Our favorite is the Boardwalk. We live the theme, atmosphere and nightlife, but always check pricing on BC as well since we can always walk over to BWI. I would go with the cheapest option. BC isn't worth $250 more

Garden/woods view at YC, standard at Boardwalk
We enjoy a good view, so I may pick whichever had a better (or more importantly what isn't looking at a loading truck!) view esp if it was for a special occasion like a 40th BD. But, that being said, maybe a SV at BWI isn't that "standard"! We've stayed SV at the Poly and we always have a decent view of something! If you stayed SV last time at BWI and enjoyed I'd stick with the good thing! Some people could care less about view, but we are kinda View Babies!! Waaaaaa I want a good view! Waaaaa!:rotfl2:I would save a ton of money if we weren't!!

The trend lately is that as each resort gets refurbed, the in-room theming is toned way down, to where it's so subtle that the room may resemble an offsite hotel. For those like me who find the theming to be the main reason to stay onsite, the resorts that have not been recently refurbed would be preferable. For those who prefer a plainer room without much noticeable theming, the refurbed resorts would be preferable. Before the refurb I would have chosen Yacht Club, but now I'd opt for Boardwalk. YMMV.

DH and I are headed to WDW in November to celebrate my 40th birthday. My quandary: should we stay at the Yacht Club with its newly refurbished rooms and the BC/YC amenities? Or should we save $250 and stay at the Boardwalk?

We stayed one night at the Boardwalk this May and enjoyed it. We've also stayed at Beach Club and had a nice stay, but for a few noisy neighbors (which can happen anywhere, I know).

DH is fine with whatever I decide. But I can't decide.

Pros and cons? Advice?

We had this same decision to make for our Labor Day trip, except the price was the same. We had booked BWI, but ended up switching to YC. We haven't stayed at either, but we've stayed at BC 3 times (it's our favorite resort). If the BWI had been cheaper for us I would've stayed there (it's a short trip, just DH and I and we'll probably be at EP most of the time for F&W). If you're planning on using the pool, I would definitely vote for YC. If not, I would probably save the money and stay at BWI.

I'd pick YC over BWI any day. I stayed at both resorts in 2016 and while I enjoyed many things about the BWI, I just couldn't get past the scary clown pool. Not only did I not like the pool theming , I found the pool to be very small for the size of the resort and did not care for the pool bar. Now I love SAB and really enjoy the theming of YC with it's beautiful and tranquil lobby. Hope you have a great trip, whatever you decide.

I would save the money and go with BWI. Take that 250 and treat yourself to a nice meal at Flying Fish!

We liked the BW. I actually think it has the best location of any resort. Halfway between Epcot and HS. We are really not pool people so I would save the money and stay BW if it was us. I am a pool bar person and BW's works jsut fine for me there.

Boardwalk is the only resort I've stayed in in my adult life. I think it is ideal. A balcony over the boardwalk is a great experience.

If it matters to you, there is currently some refurb work going on at the Boardwalk Inn. Don't know when it will be done. This picture is from MousePlanet:

https://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/274325-1/ASD-08-11-2017-BW+-+1.jpg

ASD-08-11-2017-BW+-+1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter