Advice on which DVC Villa

stickboymd

Earning My Ears
My family and I are taking a 3 or 4 day disney cruise and then 4 days at WDW in Jan 2014. I was planning on renting DVC points for our stay at the park because we need a larger room. Figured it would be cheaper than booking through central booking. Our party is 8: my wife and I, 4 daughters(10,8,5,3) and my in-laws. Kids tend to like MK the best, don't plan on renting a car so transport around parks is important. I was leaning towards a 2bd at VWL or AKV. Any thoughts one way or the other? Any other suggestions?

If transportation is important and your kids like MK the best then VWL is a much better option than AKL.

From Wilderness Lodge you can take the boat to MK or a bus. From Animal Kingdom your only option is the bus. Wilderness lodge is much closer to MK than Animal Kingdom lodge.

If you want to see the animals, go to Animal Kingdom lodge. If you want 3 bathrooms in your two bedroom villa, go to Animal Kingdom lodge. If you want the most convenient resort to Magic Kingdom go to Villas at Wilderness Lodge.

If you plan to spend the majority of your time at MK, then BLT is going to be the best location, but the units might not be the best size. Another option is OKW where you will have more space and the bus transit from there to the parks is some of the best on WDW property. AKV is really fun and the resort is like an attraction in itself, but the bus from there to MK can be a bit of a challenge and it's a LONG ride.

Jasonkat said:
If you want to see the animals, go to Animal Kingdom lodge. If you want 3 bathrooms in your two bedroom villa, go to Animal Kingdom lodge.

For 3 bathrooms in a 2-bedroom at AKV you have to reserve Kidani Village. The 2-bedrooms in AKV Jambo House only have 2 bathrooms.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

BLT if you can afford the points...there will be three bathrooms in a 2 bedroom, short walk to MK...love, love,love it

Space wise for a group of eight I would go with OKW. You'll get 2 couches in the living room, floor space for the younger ones to move around, and 2 tables for 4, one inside and another on the porch. You also are guaranteed 2 queen sized beds in the 2nd bedroom and a sleeper chair and couch in the living room.

OKW uses the fewest points too.

After coming off the ship you'll really appreciate the space.

Space wise for a group of eight I would go with OKW. You'll get 2 couches in the living room, floor space for the younger ones to move around, and 2 tables for 4, one inside and another on the porch. You also are guaranteed 2 queen sized beds in the 2nd bedroom and a sleeper chair and couch in the living room.

Plus a full sized washer and dryer instead of stackables. You can go home with clean laundry.

My stackable washer-dryer unit has always cleaned my clothes just fine. ;)

But the full sized work much better and take a bigger load if you have it. Dryer is faster too.

But the full sized work much better and take a bigger load if you have it. Dryer is faster too.
I agree, for a group of eight coming off a cruise the full size washer and dryer would be helpful, as would the two dining tables and all that space.

I would definitely go for the larger villa at OKW. We had nearly the same size party as you last year in a 2br at SSR and it was cramped in the living areas. The bedrooms were fine, but when we were all in the living area there really wasn't enough room to be comfortable. I've never stayed at OKW but I do know the living area is much larger than the other resorts. It's also been recently refurbished.

So it sounds like a lot of people like OKW for the size. How is the location and transportation? Is it close enough to walk to any of the parks? How long are bus rides? Is it a fun resort for little kids?

There are very few "walking" resorts at Disney. You cannot even walk from the Grand Floridian to the MK next door...

You can take a 1mi or so path to walk from OKW to DTD if you want a stroll.
(Or take a boat or bus)

Location wise, OKW is better than value resorts, and I would prefer OKW to MK vs the Boardwalk to MK (which shares with the Swan/Dolphin)

But overall OKW doesn't "wow" you with proximity, just space in the villa ;)

OKW is very spread out and it does frustrate some (if you need the main pool vs a smaller quiet pool, or need a QS snack or drink (I stock a fridge ;) )

stickboymd said:
So it sounds like a lot of people like OKW for the size. How is the location and transportation? Is it close enough to walk to any of the parks? How long are bus rides? Is it a fun resort for little kids?

We stayed at OKW last October and loved it. We had a car and we weren't doing parks, but we did use the bus to get to the Boardwalk (via DHS) and it was fine. It is closer to EP and DHS than most other resorts, but of course it takes longer to get to MK than the Deluxe resorts do. We loved Olivia's, the OKW table service, and we were able to get an ADR for a party of 6 the day before. Our kids are 11and 9 and loved the main pool- DD loved the pool and DS loved the sandy area nearby. The pool activities were lots of fun.

I have to agree, you have alot of people, and the space at OKW is incredible, there is nothing else like it on property.

The closest resort to the MK is Bay Lake Towers, and you can walk from there to the MK.

Next would be VWL, you can not walk but you can take a very short bus ride or take the boat. I like the boat.

Then in proximity to MK would be OKW then SSR. Buses for both but very good transportation.

AKV is the furthest from the MK>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter