Advice on visiting in September?

ExcitedMama

DIS Veteran
We are tagging along with my husband’s work trip in September to Palm Springs which will fall during my daughter’s birthday. It’s a crazy long drive so I was thinking of adding on a surprise stop at DL. I need to price check but probably either Sunday 9/9 or Saturday 9/15. I think the Halloween decorations go up pretty early but would everything be in place if we go on the earlier date? I know there’s never a guarantee of refurb dates but would one be a better choice? From trying to research it sounds like there’s nothing really set for nighttime entertainment after Pixar Fest ends in August? So if I’m booking now no way to know what’s better? Does Sunday usually get the same nighttime options as Saturday? Any other advice?

Halloween season officially begins this year on September 7, so on either date, all decorations and Halloween-themed rides should be in operation. I would consider both choices equal. Concerning nighttime entertainment, there are many question marks at this time, as World of Color is broken with an unknown return date. Fantasmic! should be running (at least) on weekend nights, and hopefully the parade will continue, at least until World of Color is repaired.

I called to ask about when HM would be closed for the overlay and was told it would be down for a week in early September. The CM said the park would not be fully themed until the first MHP on 9/19. What do you think? Is that just the CM having no idea? I’d hate to go and not be able to do HM with the overlay.

As the PP said, HalloweenTime is slated on September 7, 2018 (Friday). I think both days will be crowded, but if I had to guess, I would guess that Sunday 9/9 will be busier. The 9th is the first Sunday after the start of HalloweenTime, which lately means a lot of locals (AP holders) will be in the parks checking out the decorations, overlays, merchandise, entertainment, etc. Sundays are also generally busy because only the SoCal Select AP is blocked out. On Saturday, the SoCal and SoCal Select APs are both blocked.

In terms of evening entertainment, usually fireworks and F! drop down to a weekends (Fri-Sun) only schedule once summer ends. (On Fridays when there is MHP, F! is not presented and fireworks are only presented during the party.) Saturday and Sunday should have the same evening entertainment offerings. As mentioned, WoC would normally be presented nightly, but they've announced that it will be down until later this year. They haven't said anything about the Pixar Play Parade or Paint the Night. I would keep an eye on the dining packages for PtN and the Pixar Play Parade as a preliminary way to see if the parade will continue past Labor Day (right now, the dining packages are available through 8/31).

I called to ask about when HM would be closed for the overlay and was told it would be down for a week in early September. The CM said the park would not be fully themed until the first MHP on 9/19. What do you think? Is that just the CM having no idea? I’d hate to go and not be able to do HM with the overlay.
The Disneyland webpage for HMH says it'll be returning on September 7, 2018. I'd be inclined to take what the phone CM said with a grain of salt. HMH has, historically, taken 18-days to install. So only closing for a week would be quite a change. Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy only takes a few days (<1 week) to install, so perhaps the CM was thinking of that overlay.

You'll be fine on the 9th. That is my wedding anniversary and we are always at DL on the 9th. Everything is always up and going by then.

A Question related to this, When will Space and Haunted go down to get their overlays? I am planning 8/31-9/5 and am worried they will both be closed :worried:

A Question related to this, When will Space and Haunted go down to get their overlays? I am planning 8/31-9/5 and am worried they will both be closed :worried:
I think you will get to see Space, but I would not count on Haunted Mansion. But I will let a Disneyland expert chime in and let us know exactly how long their respective outages usually are.

Haunted Mansion is closing on Monday, August 20 and most likely won't re-open until Friday, September 7. The installation of the overlap for Space only takes a few days at most, so my guess is that it'll close on Tuesday, September 4 and also re-open on the 7th.

Be prepared for heat. Check the recent threads for tips on how to deal with it. On average, September is the hottest month of the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter