Advice on service dogs ... what to do?

OurLaughingPlace

DIS Veteran
We are in the process of getting a service dog for our DD in the near future. We travel to Disney once a year (August). We have gone for the last 13 years, but never with a service dog. I am nervous about what we need to do/bring for traveling. I want to be prepared in advance. I know that traveling in the heat, we will also have to be especially concerned to give our dog breaks. Can you please help us out?

Border crossing - we come from Ontario, Canada but drive to Buffalo to fly out from here
Plane - we fly Southwest (dog will be a smaller breed and will be crate trained)
Hotels - we usually stay 10 days PORS and 4 days BC.
Restaurants - we usually do the regular dining plan
Parks - do all 4 parks - DD will skip any rides dog can't go on and stay with dog
Disney Springs - we go here a lot when we are at PORS
We don't do water parks.

Do I need to change any of our usual plans or destinations? Can you please let me know what I need to make sure we have with us? Specific papers? Do I need to contact hotels, restaurants, parks etc in advance? Do I need to book anything / space for plane (I'm thinking dog can be in crate at DD's feet? I just want to be sure that when we get DD her dog, we make sure we have what is needed for traveling. And, we want our vacation to be as smooth and as worry free as possible. I'm sure that we will know more once we get her dog, but right now I'm just looking for advice. TIA

We are in the process of getting a service dog for our DD in the near future. We travel to Disney once a year (August). We have gone for the last 13 years, but never with a service dog. I am nervous about what we need to do/bring for traveling. I want to be prepared in advance. I know that traveling in the heat, we will also have to be especially concerned to give our dog breaks. Can you please help us out?

Border crossing - we come from Ontario, Canada but drive to Buffalo to fly out from here
Plane - we fly Southwest (dog will be a smaller breed and will be crate trained)
Hotels - we usually stay 10 days PORS and 4 days BC.
Restaurants - we usually do the regular dining plan
Parks - do all 4 parks - DD will skip any rides dog can't go on and stay with dog
Disney Springs - we go here a lot when we are at PORS
We don't do water parks.

Do I need to change any of our usual plans or destinations? Can you please let me know what I need to make sure we have with us? Specific papers? Do I need to contact hotels, restaurants, parks etc in advance? Do I need to book anything / space for plane (I'm thinking dog can be in crate at DD's feet? I just want to be sure that when we get DD her dog, we make sure we have what is needed for traveling. And, we want our vacation to be as smooth and as worry free as possible. I'm sure that we will know more once we get her dog, but right now I'm just looking for advice. TIA

as fair as traveling into the US I am not sure but once in the US the dog can pretty much go any where you can go ( except a few place line an operation room) but you will be allowed in the parks, in places that service food and the hotel. and you do not need to contact the hotel a heard of time. here is the Americans with disability website on service doing and a few FAQ ADA

As fair as rides they can go on some ( mostly if a ride dose not have a hight requirement so think pooh IASW buzz ) if you would like to go on something the dog can not there is two option one most of the rides have crates where a CM will stay with the dog while you rides or one member of you group can stay with the dog while the rest rides then the person that stayed with the dog can go on ( with two other people form your group) wile someone else stays with the dog.

as fair as what you need you really do not need anything just remember that it is very hot in FL that time of the year the pavement can be even hotter ( you might want to bring show for the dog to protect its feet) take more breaks too let the dog drink and rest and watch for sight of heat problems with your dog you should still have a great time just be extra careful on the hot days.

I believe that you need to tell the hotel ahead of time that you will be having a service dog with you so that appropriate arrangements can be made.

There are doggie shoes (booties) so make sure to get that for your service dog and get him or her used to walking in them because it is going to be HOT in August.

Information about service animals at WDW:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/service-animals/
It tells you which attractions a service animal can go on and which they cannot.

I don't think dogs can go on any rides. I notice they all have crates for service dogs.

Since it's August, my biggest concern would be the heat and the dogs paws on the blazing hot pavement. I know there are treatments you can apply to their pads every day, but not familiar with any of them.
We tried everything, we like this
Musher's Secret Paw Protection Natural Dog Wax,
Its 12.99 on chewy. I tried to add the link it was a mile long.

I would notify the hotel and airline that you will have a service animal. Bring vet records/proof of immunizations. And be prepared to answer the only 2 questions they are allowed to ask: Is the dog a service animal for a disability (yes/no - do not need to answer what disability) and what work or task is the animal trained to perform.

Have a great time!

I can speak to your plane travel on Southwest. I do not have a service animal, but did need to help settle our folks on two recent flights. We boarded early with a young lady who was training a service dog. We were asked to allow her to sit next to the wall in the first row of seats, so the dog wouldn’t be in aisle and allow him to have room to lay down. We like dogs so we moved over one seat. He was perfectly behaved. On our next flight same thing different dog, no problem.
Just like any unusual circumstances, talk to the gate agent ahead of flight, I’m sure they can accommodate your new helper.

Thank you for your replies. It sounds like it won't be as stressful as I had feared. @Disneyfan754321 thanks for the suggestion on the wax - I've looked it up and we can buy it here in Canada. I will definitely be picking this up. Appreciate the advice and support from everyone:-)

Travel within the States shouldn’t be a problem. You may want to research about crossing the border - vaccination records, registration paperwork or such may be required for entering the US (or even back into Canada).

enjoy your vacation!

As long as the dog can handle 100'F and high humidity, and perhaps having a covering on him/her to prevent sunburn, and booties on the feet to prevent burned paws by the pavement? August is probably the most brutal month at WDW - no other time you could go?

I have a friend who's blind and has a seeing eye dog. She lives near Disneyland and brings the service dog with her. I'll ask her about her experience with her service dog at DL & DCA...will let you know what rides she's able to bring the dog with her on and other logistics.

You definitely need to notify the airline that you are bringing the dog. There are only certain seats that the animal is allowed to occupy. Do not purchase your airline tickets on line. Call. So they can assign at time of booking your seats and make all notations.

I have a friend who's blind and has a seeing eye dog. She lives near Disneyland and brings the service dog with her. I'll ask her about her experience with her service dog at DL & DCA...will let you know what rides she's able to bring the dog with her on and other logistics.
Disney’s websites for WDW and DL have lists of attractions Service Animals can and can’t go on, along with other general information. starry_solo posted a link to the WDW Disney website information. So, you don’t need to try to get a list of rides.
But, it‘s nice of you to ask your friend about general information or hints she might have. I’m sure thst would be helpful.
I believe that you need to tell the hotel ahead of time that you will be having a service dog with you so that appropriate arrangements can be made.

There are doggie shoes (booties) so make sure to get that for your service dog and get him or her used to walking in them because it is going to be HOT in August.

Information about service animals at WDW:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/service-animals/
It tells you which attractions a service animal can go on and which they cannot.

I believe the OP is going to WDW though? Even if they have the "same" attractions at both parks, they may have differences as well.

True, but chances are pretty good that both sets of parks have similar policies with regards to service dogs.
They do have similar policies, but the post is about WDW and a link to the WDW information was posted, so it would be a better use of your friend’s time to just get general info and experience rather than take the time making an attraction list.

OurLaughingPlace, we have experience with the dog booties at WDW and they work great. I've never tried the wax. Just make sure you practice several times having your SD wear them. Especially the 1st time have your video camera going on your phone, it's cute to watch them get used to them and taking their 1st steps. We distracted ours with playing ball and he forgot about them in about 5 minutes and has been great with them ever since. You can look at the different maps to find the SD relief areas in each park, I recommend that as soon as you get in park to know where they all are. We have flown Southwest several times and they have been great, never and issue, they have always let my wife and daughter and SD load early and have had them sit in the bulk head at the very front, much more leg room. (our guy is 95 lbs) Our last trip we stayed at BC and he was great and they have an easy to get to relief area for your SD. You'll have a great time and Pluto loves meeting SD, I think they all do but he was the most fun.
YO

@coachyo Thank you for taking the time to reply. Your report is very encouraging. DD's service dog will be a smaller breed. Especially appreciate the feedback on southwest flights - I think that the flight was worrying me the most. We are definitely mapping out the SD relief areas in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter