Advice on ECV rental for cruise

Disneyfn420

DIS Veteran
I am going on a cruise in a few weeks and need a scooter for my mom. We have used services for WDW before but they do not deliver to Port Canaveral. I did a google search and can't find many recent posts about scooter places that deliver to the Port. Does anyone have any experience with them? I was looking at Walker Mobility Or Special Needs at Sea. But both have mixed reviews. Any advice is appreciated.

I am going on a cruise in a few weeks and need a scooter for my mom. We have used services for WDW before but they do not deliver to Port Canaveral. I did a google search and can't find many recent posts about scooter places that deliver to the Port. Does anyone have any experience with them? I was looking at Walker Mobility Or Special Needs at Sea. But both have mixed reviews. Any advice is appreciated.
It believe the one that's most used is Brevard for wheelchair rentals onboard. http://www.brevardmedicalequip.com/Rental/

There's also Scootaround https://www.scootaround.com/mobility-rentals/cruise/cruise-ports

I have used both Walker delivered to the airport Hyatt before the cruise and Special Needs at Sea delivered to the port. Both are ok.

I’m new to the idea of cruising. DH and I both normally rent an ECV for WDW because we can’t handle all the walking. Never been on a cruise before. Would any of you with experience be able to advise if we should rent them for a cruise or if we’d probably be ok without them? A mile a day would prob be where I’d start to feel fatigued, and 2-3 would prob be my limit.

I’m new to the idea of cruising. DH and I both normally rent an ECV for WDW because we can’t handle all the walking. Never been on a cruise before. Would any of you with experience be able to advise if we should rent them for a cruise or if we’d probably be ok without them? A mile a day would prob be where I’d start to feel fatigued, and 2-3 would prob be my limit.
I think you'll be fine without them on the ship. There is some walking from place to place but the ship isn't that big. The walking is broken up, unlike at the parks where you go and go. Generally on the ship you walk a short distance to your activity and then sit for some time.

I think you'll be fine without them on the ship. There is some walking from place to place but the ship isn't that big. The walking is broken up, unlike at the parks where you go and go. Generally on the ship you walk a short distance to your activity and then sit for some time.
That’s what I was thinking but was hoping for confirmation. Thank you!! :)

That’s what I was thinking but was hoping for confirmation. Thank you!! :)

I'm just going to second what MelSpees said. We get around 20K steps in at WDW, but nothing remotely like that on the ship. We cruised DCL to Alaska a few years ago and brought along my Mom who has limited mobility. We asked for wheelchair help in the airports (far too much walking and standing around for her) but she was comfortable on the ship at that point. I'd need a chair or a scooter for her now, since any walking is tough these days. But if you can walk a mile I think you should be fine.

I concur with the others. I need an ECV at WDW, but not on the cruise. The ship has elevators (we like taking the stairs when we can, and I find the stairs are quite nice to walk - nice treat height, good handrail). Many indoor areas have carpet, or carpet in part of the area. There are LOTS of seating areas all over the place.

Also, we can plan our day and activities and take relaxing breaks when needed. We use the app on our smartphone or tablet to look at the entire cruise so we know when events are taking place -- some are repeated, so if we can't do it one day there may be another day it is offered. So it is not walking and on your feet continually like at WDW. Plenty of places to rest, and there is always your stateroom.

SW

i recommend Special Needs at Sea. I've rented from them 6 times now with absolutely no issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter