Advice Needed! Which itinerary would you choose?

DisneyTigers

Mouseketeer
We are a family of 2 parents and 4 teenagers. Next summer we are flying into Phoenix and driving to Flagstaff, staying for 2 nights and checking out the Grand Canyon.

The next day we will hit the road for SoCal, ending with a 3 day stay at DL and then another 3 day stay in Santa Monica. In between AZ and LA, we are planning to visit San Diego. But, I need some help here...

Option 1: Drive from Flagstaff to San Diego (7 hours driving with no stops) spend 3 nights in SD (2 full days). One day in SD would be the Old Town Trolley tour around town, and the other would be kayaking with sea lions in La Jolla and other beach activities. On the 3rd day we'd get up and drive straight to Anaheim.

Option 2: Drive from Flagstaff to Palm Springs (5 hours). Check out Joshua Tree that evening (starry skies!) and then drive the next morning to SD (2 hours), and spend 2 nights in SD. We would spend the first 1/2 day driving around and checking out the sites, the full day touring the city via the Old Town Trolley, and we'd stop to kayak in La Jolla on the way to Anaheim on day 3.

Which would you choose??? The kids could go either way.

I personally would pick the second, and get a full beach day in La Jolla. Go kayaking, play at the beach, have a nice dinner and relax. I also don't like single night hotel stays, so I'd rather get all the driving done in one day and relax in San Diego for three nights. Joshua Tree is amazing at night for stars, but not something I'd choose to do when you have limited time available on a CA vacation - you can get great starry skies at the Grand Canyon as well.

I'd go for option #1. Joshua Tree in the summer is super duper hot. Even at night.

I'd go with option 1 because I don't like riding around in a car all day for several days. Joshua Tree is a long drive from Palm Springs and when you are in the park, it's a very long drive to see stuff. I just can't imagine being in a car with 4 teenagers that much. Plus, when you are driving around in San Diego, you will want to get out and check stuff out. Half a day of driving around really isn't enough. It would just give you enough of a peek to make you want to come back someday so you could actually do stuff.

What are your plans for 3 days in santa Monica?

Oh we will be in San Diego for at least one whole day, either way. But I'm thinking that we should just plan for 2 whole days and bag Joshua tree.

Palm Springs/Joshua Tree in the summer is HOT. Unless you take the tram above Palm Springs there's not much teens would want to do there. I think your family would be happier getting to the great weather in San Diego and having a more relaxing time there.

PHXscuba

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!