Advice needed: Drive from DL to San Fran

Ohh....if you like garlic....there's a garlic restaurant. The Stinking Rose. There's one in San Francisco and there's one in Los Angeles (Beverly Hills). I've been to both and I absolutely love it. Try the garlic ice cream with mole sauce. It's amazingly good!

If you go to the Beverly Hills restaurant, asked to be put in the Vampire Room. Great decor with Bela Legosi watching you dine.

http://www.thestinkingrose.com/

pxl: Thanks for posting that menu. I've heard of the Stinking Rose, but til now had no idea why it was called that! :confused3 I thought it was some sort of cactus. :rotfl: I looked at the delicious menu and the pictures of the restaurant; what a cool place to eat. I'll definitely try to talk the family into eating here when we're in SF.

Have you thought of stopping in Pismo Beach area to view the monarchs? They travel - and nest in the eucalyptus trees at Pismo from Oct-Jan. When driving - be careful as you may have some suicide bombers hit your windshield.

Hi - I just registered today - have been having fun lurkering but can't keep my comments to myself anylonger :sunny:

they did a bit on it on the Food Network. It looks like a wonderful restaurant. Look it up on food network or google it.

I think they were on the local food show on the radio today too.

Minnietoo: Welcome to the DIS Boards :wave2: ! We are definitely making a stop at Pismo Beach; my daughter loves butterflies and won't believe her eyes. Thanks!

Leo: I keep missing good shows on Food Network. I'm going to have to start taping episodes!

I agree completely with pxlbarrel, the Stinking Rose is a great restaurant in SF. It's not too big so you may want to try and get reservations if they offer them. Parking was a little bit of a hassle, too. Maybe a cab for that night or if not too cold walking around the city in it's holiday decorations is really fun. I still use my coffee mug daily which I purchased when we were there a few years ago. Don't forget to get down to Fishermans wharf for some fresh seafood, yummmmmm!!

this has a lot of great info....so I am going to move it to the board where it fits the best.....just follow the link !

Niele said:
I agree completely with pxlbarrel, the Stinking Rose is a great restaurant in SF. It's not too big so you may want to try and get reservations if they offer them. Parking was a little bit of a hassle, too. Maybe a cab for that night or if not too cold walking around the city in it's holiday decorations is really fun. I still use my coffee mug daily which I purchased when we were there a few years ago. Don't forget to get down to Fishermans wharf for some fresh seafood, yummmmmm!!

I have that mug too!!! We walked from Fisherman's Wharf to the restaurant but it was the middle of summer when we did that. We took a cab back to the the train station after dinner (we were commuting from San Jose).

You can make ressies on the internet...well, that's how I did it a couple of years ago. I assume they're still doing it that way.

Oh and remember that SF is the home of Ghiradelli Chocolate!!!!!! Downtown Disney's not the only place to get that yummy stuff. hehehehe

If your little one likes sea lions, there's a pier that has a gazillion of them just lying about. (ummmm....talk about "sea" air...ugh) :lmao:

SF is one of my favourite places. :goodvibes

Thanks for moving this thread, Judy. I had no idea this forum existed!

That pier with all the sea lions is part of the view from the Wharf Inn's upstairs 2BR "family suite". We'd go out on the lanai every morning with our coffee and watch them... we could hear them very clearly all day long. It was so much fun. What a great view.

Dis Ohana said:
Thanks for moving this thread, Judy. I had no idea this forum existed!

you're welcome ! Hope you pick up more good info.......there is alo a CA/West trip report board.

Make sure to change your preferences to see "all " of the posts!

I saw the words San Luis Obispo and had to come running. That is my hometown, I go to college at Cal Poly, and I know EVERYTHING about the city. Some must hits are The Madonna Inn (men get ready for the best piss of your life, no joke) Pismo Beach with lunch at Splash Cafe (make sure to get clam chowder in a bread bowl) and in downtown San Luis Obispo you should visit "The Gum Wall", it's classy.

If your staying in San Luis Obispo, and if possible stay at the Madonna Inn, no 2 rooms are the same, and man those bathrooms...

Uuaww said:
If your staying in San Luis Obispo, and if possible stay at the Madonna Inn, no 2 rooms are the same, and man those bathrooms...

LOL I wish I'd known you a few years ago. We stayed at some Best Western (it was ok) across from a McDonalds on what looked like an isolated area. The McDonalds started to close at 10 pm!!! Yikes!!!

The mission in SLO was one of our visits in our impromptu mission tour. :)

yeah it sucks, there are no drive thrus in slo and all the fast food joints (expect T-bell and Jack) close at 10, it blows.

sorry to make so many posts but i forgot to mention one thing. about 1 hour north of San Luis Obispo is a city called King City, DO NOT SPEED HERE. If you are going 5 mph over, they will pull you over and the will give you a ticket. even if you are going the speed of traffic, it doesn't matter, they will always so after the non-locals, and esspecially the college students (grrr). just a heads up.

Wow...great tips, Uuaww..thanks! Is the Madonna Inn kid friendly? It looks great, we're definitely checking this place out. Any reccomendations on where to eat breakfast?

The Madonna Inn is kid friendly to an extent, but in reality its just a really really strange hotel that many people get a kick out of. Breakfast food isn't something college students usually eat with the exception of Jamba Juice. But Margies Diner has some good food and it is def. some homestyle breakfast cooking.

Uuaww said:
The Madonna Inn is kid friendly to an extent, but in reality its just a really really strange hotel that many people get a kick out of. Breakfast food isn't something college students usually eat with the exception of Jamba Juice. But Margies Diner has some good food and it is def. some homestyle breakfast cooking.

Does the Madonna Inn still have a tiger in a cage??

poor tiger

jan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter