Advice from experience, is it worth going to Disney if you can't transfer out of a wheelchair?

prettiepixie

Earning My Ears
I've been going to Disney for practically my whole life and had only gone once with someone in a wheelchair, he was able to transfer out of it so he was able to go on more rides. However, my family and I were thinking about bringing my grandma on a Disney trip since it's been a while since she's been and she would love to experience it again. We're passholders and go all the time and it kind of bums her out that she doesn't go. She's not able to walk very much and wouldn't be able to transfer out her wheelchair, I know Disney has a handful of rides that allow you to remain in your chair, but I'm wondering is it worth all the money for her ticket if she isn't able to transfer? I would like to know if anyone has had experience going to Disney in a wheelchair and not being able to transfer and if they still enjoyed the parks or not? Also, which park would you recommend to do in a wheelchair? I personally thought of MK since it's a classic and I know my grandma would love to be in that park again, but with how packed the park has been lately I'm not sure if she'll enjoy it. My family and I keep going back and forth with the idea, but I'd love to hear from people who have had experience with this.

I know someone that can not get out of his wheelchair to go on any rides and he is an AP and DVC member and loves going he dose more the atmosphere stuff like like show looks around the world Showcase interacts with the CM ( galaxy edge and pandora are great also the CM at the world show case) go focuse on the none ride things and add on rides she can do. You all will have a great time and see and do things you normally will not

I traveled with a young man who could not transfer and he really enjoyed the parks! He was able to ride a number of rides. If memory serves, he rode Buzz (his favorite), small world, Jungle Cruise, the safari in AK. I think he could have gone on the carousel and Aladdin, but decided not to. He LOVED the shows - Mickey's Philharmonic, Nemo, Festival of the Lion King. If your travel times are flexible, I would just try to avoid holiday weeks/weekends and any special events (marathons, etc.). I know it's super hot, but we go the last week of August every year and the parks tend to be very quiet at that time.

I know someone that can not get out of his wheelchair to go on any rides and he is an AP and DVC member and loves going he dose more the atmosphere stuff like like show looks around the world Showcase interacts with the CM ( galaxy edge and pandora are great also the CM at the world show case) go focuse on the none ride things and add on rides she can do. You all will have a great time and see and do things you normally will not
Thank you! I think she would really enjoy the atmosphere as well and just being able to be there again since she hasn't been since she could no longer walk much, and I know she would just love FOF parade and Happily Ever After.

I traveled with a young man who could not transfer and he really enjoyed the parks! He was able to ride a number of rides. If memory serves, he rode Buzz (his favorite), small world, Jungle Cruise, the safari in AK. I think he could have gone on the carousel and Aladdin, but decided not to. He LOVED the shows - Mickey's Philharmonic, Nemo, Festival of the Lion King. If your travel times are flexible, I would just try to avoid holiday weeks/weekends and any special events (marathons, etc.). I know it's super hot, but we go the last week of August every year and the parks tend to be very quiet at that time.
Thank you! I didn't know that you could do the safari and Aladdin with a wheelchair that's really cool! I think my grandma would love the shows too, especially the Country Bears since that was one she used to do years and years ago. My family works weekdays so weekends are usually the only times we go unless we have days off or we take the days off ourselves, but we live here so it's not much of an issue. We're more worried about picking the right time for my grandma where she would be comfortable and is able to enjoy herself since she doesn't do very well in the intense heat. We'd actually love to take her around next month since the weather here has been nice, but I know spring break is coming up for a lot of people next month and I don't want it to be too overwhelmingly crowded. We're going to talk to her about it and see how she feels if the crowds would bother her or not.

My daughter can’t stand or walk by herself. We can lift her out of her wheelchair into ride cars, but obviously, it’s much easier if she can stay in the wheelchair.

There are wheelchair spots for all show, with at least one seat for someone to sit right next to the wheelchair. The rest of your group will be able to sit nearby. Each park has at least several shows.

Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread. The first post in that thread is an index that tells which post has which information. Posts 18-21 have information that includes which attractions have a wheelchair accessible ride car that she would be able to stay in the wheelchair for.

I'm a full time wheelchair user but I can transfer onto some rides using my arms to lift myself in. I'd still go if all I could do where the shows/rides where I can stay in my wheelchair.

I do have a question for you though. If she can walk even just a few steps I would assume she could also get onto some rides. At least for some of them it's pretty easy especially if you can stand and take a few steps. For instance Soarin requires you to transfer out of your wheelchair but it's an easy transfer. She could stand, turn 90 degrees, and then just sit on the ride seat.

Even if she did not ride a single ride it would still be worth it. There is sooooo much to see and do. The shows, the street entertainment, parades, fireworks, country hopping at Epcot. Shopping. Eating. People watching. Character meet n greets. Hidden Mickey hunting. finding all the animals in the Tree of Life. Just experiencing and appreciating all the details in each aspect of the park.

Depends on if she actually wants to ride rides as to whether she will enjoy it. The last few times we took my Mama she was in a wheelchair and loved it. She didn't really like to ride any rides, I actually can't remember her riding any when she was able to walk, she would just sit somewhere and wait for us. When she was first in the wheelchair she could stand fine and could actually walk short distances but WDW was just too much for her. After a while, she could stand but not really walk a lot. She just loved being there so it was worth it for her.

I travel to WDW about once a month with a friend who wheels it and about one day in 4 she just can't get up from the chair at all. Half the joy of WDW is just being there. We've gone and just tooled around without thinking about rides or anything with a line.

But there is a lot to do even without leaving your seat.

Last year we took my 78 y/o mother who had dementia and severe Rheumatoid arthritis. She was in a wheelchair for whole the whole trip. While it was a different pace for us she had a great time people watching, loved the characters and being with us. We did shows and rides that she could do in her wc as well as my teen grands doing thrill rides. We had 3 other adults and traded off if we wanted to ride what ahe couldn't. I was surprised by all of the wc friendly rides. Sadly she passed away in January of this year. Our next trip will be different but we have great memories and lots of family photos! Go, enjoy and make great memories!

There are attractions that can accommodate a guest staying in their chair, If they don't want to ride there are sometimes alternate experiences available ie. Finding Nemo Subs at Disneyland Park, Whatever their decision I hope you all have a wonderful time

My husband is a paraplegic that rarely transfers, and we love disney. there are plenty of shows where you can stay in your chair. There are also rides that do not require a transfer, like Winnie the Pooh, Buzz Lightyear, and Small World. We have a lot of fun (both of us are wheelchair users), so it may be worth it. Read the FAQ and other stickies up top. It will give you a good idea of what will and won't work for you in the parks

I've been going to Disney for practically my whole life and had only gone once with someone in a wheelchair, he was able to transfer out of it so he was able to go on more rides. However, my family and I were thinking about bringing my grandma on a Disney trip since it's been a while since she's been and she would love to experience it again. We're passholders and go all the time and it kind of bums her out that she doesn't go. She's not able to walk very much and wouldn't be able to transfer out her wheelchair, I know Disney has a handful of rides that allow you to remain in your chair, but I'm wondering is it worth all the money for her ticket if she isn't able to transfer? I would like to know if anyone has had experience going to Disney in a wheelchair and not being able to transfer and if they still enjoyed the parks or not? Also, which park would you recommend to do in a wheelchair? I personally thought of MK since it's a classic and I know my grandma would love to be in that park again, but with how packed the park has been lately I'm not sure if she'll enjoy it. My family and I keep going back and forth with the idea, but I'd love to hear from people who have had experience with this.
I have limited mobility so there are lots of rides I cannot do however I love Epcot particularly during flower and garden time I enjoy scooting around as well as the shows which are all great if you are in a chair. I also love animal kingdom for getting around enjoying the shows seeing the animals and birds . Just my reccomendations

You could also look at it a different way...that if you are going to a theme park, Disney may have the most attractions/shows/activities that you could without transferring out of a wheel chair and be the most disability friendly theme park.

I'm a big believer that WDW has something for everyone even if you can't transfer out of your wheelchair. But with the new rules for reopening I'm considering cancelling my trips. From what I've heard they are not having parades, fireworks, character meet and greats, most shows are cancelled, and I think the festivals are also cancelled. So it's mostly limited to rides. The rides are nice and I can do some of them but just doing some rides does not justify the price for me. I want the other parts that are easier for me to enjoy as a wheelchair user.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!