Advice for thrill adverse kiddo

Calee

DIS Veteran
I have a 12 year old that does not like heights/drops and doesnt like super fast rides. We have never done Universal, but at WDW there are enough shows and boat rides for him to have fun. On other rides he waits in line with us and then is old enough/responsible enough to exit and wait, and he doesnt complain about this (his 2 younger brothers like all rides).

So, with that being said, what would he be likely to enjoy at Universal/IOA? He isnt "too cool" for spinner rides or characters, especially since he usually has his younger brothers with him.

We all would like to do something new, and we have recently read Harry Potter for the first time, so I want to do Universal, I just want to be prepared with what attractions he will do. Also, are there chicken exits at the end of the que's?

You can spend hours just exploring HP stuff without getting on any rides!
There are actually plenty of non thrill rides. I know the reputation is that the park is for thrill seekers but there are plenty of more calm rides. And there are chicken exits (actually really nice rider switch right off the ride platforms).

There should be plenty to do, Universal does have more thrill rides than Disney but the disparity isn't as huge as going somewhere like Busch Gardens.

IOA - Cat in the Hat, One Fish Two Fish (Dumbo type ride), Posiden's Fury, Kong for sure. Then there are other rides he can possibly handle based on what you described it just depends how wild he is willing to get. On that list I'd include Spiderman, the Suess train (depending on heights), Popeye's Bilge Rat Barges, there is a teacup type ride over near Dr. Doom's, Flight of the Hippogriff (kiddy coaster) and then MAYBE Forbidden Journey but it's hard to compare that to another ride so maybe have him watch a video first. - Jurassic Park, Hagrids, Dr. Doom's Fear Fall, Hulk, Dudley Do-Rights I'd say are no go.

UO - ET, Men in Black, Fast and Furious, Bourne Stuntacular, Minions (there is a non-mobile row I believe if simulators are a problem), Shrek, Kang and Kodos spinner (Simpson's themed Dumbo ride), Horror Makeup Show should all be fine. In the maybe tier you have Transformers (same ride system as Spiderman), Simpsons/Jimmy Fallon (simulators). Woody Woodpecker kiddy coaster, Escape from Gringotts I'd be iffy on but I wouldn't say for sure no. The most "intense" part is in the very beginning but they make it look worse than it really is with lighting. No go would be Mummy and Rip Ride Rockit.

There is also the Hogwarts train that takes you between the parks if you have a hopper/AP and then little things to do in both Potter areas.

I'm thrill averse as well and found plenty to do when we went last year. the HP areas are extremely immersive and you could spend all your time just moving from detail to detail. I also loved the Dr. Seuss section as did my thrill loving coaster kid. the Cat in the Hat ride is really fun.

If spinny rides are ok Men In Black is fun and a great break from the heat. I don't recommend back to back rides or at least b2b if you're a middle aged mom. My stomach reminded me i was not 19 anymore when i did that.

Meet and greats are really fun, and honestly the one virtual ride I did (minions) is completely stationary, so if he's ok looking down if it becomes too intense then he might give the virtual rides a chance. I'm going to try Spiderman whenever we get back. to my son (11) it's the best ride in the park.

Men in black is so much fun, There's one big spinning part near the end, but otherwise, it's tame. We often ride that over and over. At some point, maybe try Spider Man, or Gringotts. They are both thrilling, but I think a lot tamer than rides like Mummy and Forbidden Journey. Maybe not try it first off, but at some point. There's definitely a chicken exit at FJ. I've used it before. The queue is so great, he'll want to experience that for sure. Gringotts' queue too. Not sure where you get out of line there tho, but I think you can. just find a team member. Spider man is great. It's a bit of up/down, (not big drops like Doctor Doom,) and screens. Previous poster mentioned a lot of great options. Before our son was tall enough for many rides, we'd find lots of fun alternatives while the others were riding things.

Men in black is so much fun, There's one big spinning part near the end, but otherwise, it's tame. We often ride that over and over. At some point, maybe try Spider Man, or Gringotts. They are both thrilling, but I think a lot tamer than rides like Mummy and Forbidden Journey. Maybe not try it first off, but at some point. There's definitely a chicken exit at FJ. I've used it before. The queue is so great, he'll want to experience that for sure. Gringotts' queue too. Not sure where you get out of line there tho, but I think you can. just find a team member. Spider man is great. It's a bit of up/down, (not big drops like Doctor Doom,) and screens. Previous poster mentioned a lot of great options. Before our son was tall enough for many rides, we'd find lots of fun alternatives while the others were riding things.

IIRC Gringotts chicken exit is right before boarding (I’ve used it) so you still get to see the queue and preshow which are a lot of fun!

I am also averse to big drops - if you sit in the front car of Gringotts the drop is nothing (Pirates of the Caribbean is too intense for me as a reference point) but it is a little fast in sections so that might be the more “intense” part for him.

There are tons of rides and experiences I love at both parks while avoiding the big thrill rides so yes he will have plenty to enjoy :) Have fun!

IIRC Gringotts chicken exit is right before boarding (I’ve used it) so you still get to see the queue and preshow which are a lot of fun!

I am also averse to big drops - if you sit in the front car of Gringotts the drop is nothing (Pirates of the Caribbean is too intense for me as a reference point) but it is a little fast in sections so that might be the more “intense” part for him.

There are tons of rides and experiences I love at both parks while avoiding the big thrill rides so yes he will have plenty to enjoy :) Have fun!
When you say Gringotts is a bit fast in some sections, what do you mean? Is there any ride at WDW that you could compare it to?

I am also thrilled adverse. I don’t like roller coasters because of the continuous adrenaline-surge. However, I don’t mind drops like on Splash Mountain, and I love Dinosaur!

When you say Gringotts is a bit fast in some sections, what do you mean? Is there any ride at WDW that you could compare it to?

I am also thrilled adverse. I don’t like roller coasters because of the continuous adrenaline-surge. However, I don’t mind drops like on Splash Mountain, and I love Dinosaur!

Fast like speed fast, and it also uses 3D screens to simulate action (but your car is stationary during those scenes, minus some tilting to mimic the on-screen action). I wouldn't call it a roller coaster - to me, if you can handle Splash you can handle Gringotts.

Our thrill averse child has been to Universal several times since he turned 13.

I think the big question to ask you son is "what in particular do you dislike?" Then see what works for him.

Our son does not trust roller coasters. He does not understand why anyone would want to ride something that makes them feel scared (and boy, do roller coasters scare but exhilirate his brother). He does not like drops, so coasters and log flumes are completely out for him. He did ride Gringotts once, and even the short drop on that one was too much for him. But at EPCOT, he adores Test Track. No drops and it doesn't look like a roller coaster, even though it has some of those elements.

So, for him, Spiderman, Transformers, MIB are a total blast, even though they have intense elements. He loved Bluto's Barges, but not the other water rides. He did Jurassic once and said never again. But he enjoys the shows, the Simpsons, the food, and plenty of other things. Theme / Amusement Parks will never be his thing. He's told me this. But he does enjoy plenty of elements, and we temper the trip with a day or two at the Kennedy Space Center, which is completely up his alley.

Our son does not trust roller coasters. He does not understand why anyone would want to ride something that makes them feel scared

He's one of my people! I'm right up there with him in this belief, but married to someone who finds the fear exhilarating. Things came to a head very early in our marriage when he thought he could get me on a log flume ride with a significant drop at the end and once I tried it I'd "love" it. yeah, that did NOT turn out well, and he got an earfull from me after he did it. Of course he took our daughter on it as a toddler and she thought it was amazing. She's still a thrill seeker at 14.

we've finally reached an accord where he knows I'll sit and watch and hold everyone's stuff, but I do push myself a bit and do rides like MIB, and will try Spiderman when we go back. It's all about balance.

He's one of my people! I'm right up there with him in this belief, but married to someone who finds the fear exhilarating. Things came to a head very early in our marriage when he thought he could get me on a log flume ride with a significant drop at the end and once I tried it I'd "love" it. yeah, that did NOT turn out well, and he got an earfull from me after he did it. Of course he took our daughter on it as a toddler and she thought it was amazing. She's still a thrill seeker at 14.

we've finally reached an accord where he knows I'll sit and watch and hold everyone's stuff, but I do push myself a bit and do rides like MIB, and will try Spiderman when we go back. It's all about balance.

As someone who has had more than one fear-induced panic attack with full-on hysterical sobbing in front of their loved ones I support your self-advocacy but will say Spiderman is really fun! That's my level of "thrill" - simulated, with no actual drops.

Thanks goodness my thrill-loving partner learned early on that trying to push me results in immediate tears and just accepted it's not for me. We have so much fun together in the parks.

but will say Spiderman is really fun! That's my level of "thrill" - simulated, with no actual drops.

Good to know. I tried to do transformers last time but chickened out. I've watched the youtube videos but it's just not the same as being there. How do you do on Gringots? I know there's a drop there, but it's not huge.

Good to know. I tried to do transformers last time but chickened out. I've watched the youtube videos but it's just not the same as being there. How do you do on Gringots? I know there's a drop there, but it's not huge.

Chickened out on Gringotts the first time and then screwed up my courage last year - I asked to sit at the front where the drop it shortest and it honestly feels like nothing up there.

Chickened out on Gringotts the first time and then screwed up my courage last year - I asked to sit at the front where the drop it shortest and it honestly feels like nothing up there.

Good to know, I'll do the same. I really wanted to at least SEE the queue last summer, but by the time we could get back there the line was always insane. it's on my list to go whenever we can get back.

I have to laugh, because Mr Risk Averse was in the front of Gringotts the one time he rode it - being able to see the drop just made it worse for him, even though it was small. The Beetle Bomp at King's Island is about as much as he is willing to do re: drops.

I have to laugh, because Mr Risk Averse was in the front of Gringotts the one time he rode it - being able to see the drop just made it worse for him, even though it was small. The Beetle Bomp at King's Island is about as much as he is willing to do re: drops.

Ha, just goes to show there really is no yard stick for what's OK vs. what's too much! What I really wish is I could learn to be a bit more brave and talk myself into doing more fun rides that I'm scared of but would probably enjoy if I could learn to conquer my fear.

Gringotts has a drop right in the beginning. Then it’s a fun coaster with some stops for 3D scenes. The drop is about equivalent to PoC. Most of the fast movement is in the dark. It’s really a mild coaster. If the drop bothers you a little the first time, do the ride again. It’s not as bad the second time through.

If drops really bother you, don’t do Jurassic Park.

Forbidden Journey is my fav. It’s Soaring taken to the next level.

If you’re worried about Transformers, ride Spider-man first. They’re both basically the same ride. Transformers is just slightly more intense.

If you’re worried about Kong, do Fast and Furious. It’s basically the same ride without all of the animatronics.

If you’re worried about Kong, do Fast and Furious. It’s basically the same ride without all of the animatronics.

DH assured me that Kong is totally flat and I'd be ok on it. I just had no desire to ride it, but OP your son might enjoy it.

Gringotts has a drop right in the beginning. Then it’s a fun coaster with some stops for 3D scenes. The drop is about equivalent to PoC. Most of the fast movement is in the dark. It’s really a mild coaster. If the drop bothers you a little the first time, do the ride again. It’s not as bad the second time through.

If drops really bother you, don’t do Jurassic Park.

Forbidden Journey is my fav. It’s Soaring taken to the next level.

If you’re worried about Transformers, ride Spider-man first. They’re both basically the same ride. Transformers is just slightly more intense.

On Gringotts, the one drop doesn’t worry me so much. The part I am worried about are the other coaster sections. It looks like the vehicle spins and someone said those parts are fast, plus they are in the dark. I never liked rides like the octopus/tarantula or the tilt-o-whirl. I am afraid it will be like that and in the dark.

On Gringotts, the one drop doesn’t worry me so much. The part I am worried about are the other coaster sections. It looks like the vehicle spins and someone said those parts are fast, plus they are in the dark. I never liked rides like the octopus/tarantula or the tilt-o-whirl. I am afraid it will be like that and in the dark.

You’re turned for the 3D scenes. And the speed in the dark isn’t bad because you don’t see anything. It’s really a tame ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!