Advice for lost boys

This all reminds me of a co-worker that was given a Christmas Disney trip for her birthday. She didn't know what she was doing, and she came back saying her trip was terrible. She didn't know it was one of the busiest times to go either. I couldn't help but laugh when she mentioned that.

I think the best thing you can offer them is to make sure they understand FP+, at least at a basic level. If I had to pick one thing that would be a "make or break" at WDW, that would be it. It's a very different experience if you get to go on attractions without a long wait instead of standing in lines all day.

The rest I don't think is a big deal...I don't even think avoiding MK on Saturday or MonWednesday is a "thing"...or even avoiding parks with EMH. As an offsite person, I don't think those matter at all.
Honestly, aside from ADR's, FP+ is the only guiding factor really for my plans. Aside from that, I don't hardly make plans anymore. I just do whatever I want around those FP+ plans and see what's available as I go. It's not a strategy for everyone, but it's definitely not very stressful and more relaxed.

A co-worker came up to me today, "Hey, I heard you know about Disney World, I leave for there next week, any advice?"

Sure, Do you have your magic bands linked to your account?

"What's a magic band?"

Ruh roh Shaggy....

How would you best help someone who's staying off site and has done zero planning or research?

I didn't read all the answers but I have learned I just point them to the dis or tell them to buy a guide since if they haven't done it now, they aren't going to do it.

I have typed out directions for co-workers, sometimes pages, talked until I'm blue in the face, all because they asked and then nothing. They didn't follow or care to even look and think it's crazy. Unless it is a close friend that I know really wants help, I don't bother any longer.
Actually, one of my BFFs took her family, kids and grandchildren a couple of years ago and just gave me her credit card and I booked everything. I gave them a choice of BLT or GFVs, they chose BLT and I took it from there. They still joke they cannot believe how much it cost, although I didn't skimp since not sure when they will be back LOL

Just give them the MDE information and disboards. They are adults and if they want to do it, they will.

I successfully talked my boss out of going over spring break for a day. Her kids want to go so bad, I knew a one day trip planned a week before would ruin the parks for them forever, especially over Spring Break. I just kept telling them about the crowds - since I had been a couple weeks before. Luckily they decided against it.

This isn't the first time she's talked to me about a trip. I've made it clear that she should plan fairly far ahead of time. She doesn't seem to understand, so I've let it go. It'll be interesting to see if she ever goes.

I have a co-worker who is a Disney Planner. She was going with her boss to a conference last summer shortly after TS Land. I tried to explain that they needed to get to HS at 6:00 am and it would open early for them to get in. I told her to get in line for FOP at the end of the night because they were not going until 5:00 and that would be the shortest wait. She didn't listen to anything I told her, got to the parks late and had a miserable, hot trip. Her boss was disappointed because she wanted to ride SDD and FOP and was unable to do either. She still loves Disney, but her boss said when she is ready to take her kids, she is coming to me to help her plan her trip. She is a Disney Planner! I tell her about my trips and she is amazed by what we get done and how well our trips go, but won't listen to any advice because after all she gets paid to plan other people's trips. :sad2:

The best advice I think you could give them is to be at the park as early as they can each day and a crash course in fast passes.

I successfully talked my boss out of going over spring break for a day. Her kids want to go so bad, I knew a one day trip planned a week before would ruin the parks for them forever, especially over Spring Break. I just kept telling them about the crowds - since I had been a couple weeks before. Luckily they decided against it.

This isn't the first time she's talked to me about a trip. I've made it clear that she should plan fairly far ahead of time. She doesn't seem to understand, so I've let it go. It'll be interesting to see if she ever goes.

Just IMO, but that's horrible advice and a shame to "talk them out of it". A one day trip planned a week in advance during spring break may ruin the parks for you, but doesn't mean it would ruin it for others. You could tell me on Dec 24th that you're giving me a ticket for Dec 25th and I'll be there with bells and whistles on and have a fabulous time. So many here love to plan in depth months in advance and that's great. However, it is far from a necessity in order to have a good time. For me, such as me, doing that would actually ruin the trip. If you told me I had to plan months out, have a spreadsheet, etc...I would refuse to go.

1st: are you sure the person's spouse isn't on top of things? The things my then-husband thought I didn't know about planning was immense. And I would talk to him (and our son) through the planning process, so it's not like the words didn't enter his ears. But he would come to me with statements from coworkers like I didn't know those things, when we had talked about them. So the coworker might be clue-free, but it doesn't mean that the spouse/partner is.

That would explain why he doesn't know about MB - he doesn't have one or need one.

Make sure he knows Fastpasses are free. Suggest a restaurant or specific snack.

Agreed.

Staying offsite, there's not much of a need for a magicband. Heck, the only NEED for a band is for those rides with videos if you're a person who gets a kick from seeing themselves in a video while on a ride. I am most definitely NOT one of those people, and therefore do not need a band.

They have Costco discount tickets. Does anyone know if what you get from Costco can be linked or do they need to redeem them at the gate?

Since they won't have park hopper, I'll suggest they avoid any park with early morning hours.

Of course they can be linked, and then they can make FPs.

Do you *know* they don't have hoppers?

Find out where they are staying and check the costco site (https://www.costcotravel.com/Specialty/Disney/Walt-Disney-World) for that package. They might actually have EMH. I don't see that Costco sells stand-alone WDW tickets.

No, I wouldn't avoid MK on a Monday...or a Tuesday or any other day.

The no-Monday mention was for AK, not MK, FWIW.

It'll be interesting to see if she ever goes.

Given that the person she's talking to about her trips tells her not to go, I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't go.

Most of my friends who go to WDW do JUST fine without me. They read the info as they book, they make FP arrangements, they make dining arrangements. They go at busy times because they all have kids in school, and they come back loving it. People are not as clueless as they seem. Message boards aren't as big of a requirement as we think they are. Disney does a pretty good job at explaining things, as long as the person has looked at the disney site.

Just IMO, but that's horrible advice and a shame to "talk them out of it". A one day trip planned a week in advance during spring break may ruin the parks for you, but doesn't mean it would ruin it for others. You could tell me on Dec 24th that you're giving me a ticket for Dec 25th and I'll be there with bells and whistles on and have a fabulous time. So many here love to plan in depth months in advance and that's great. However, it is far from a necessity in order to have a good time. For me, such as me, doing that would actually ruin the trip. If you told me I had to plan months out, have a spreadsheet, etc...I would refuse to go.

I'm going to chalk this up to me knowing her better than you do. She doesn't have the personality to roll with the punches and just enjoy it for what it is. (For friends who are more laid back, I'd have left it with a friendly warning.) She wanted the fantasy trip all in one day without doing anything beforehand. You've been before, I'm assuming, and like me can probably have a good time sitting on Main Street people watching with your favorite treat in hand. (Extremely underrated activity, IMO.) For you to arrive on Christmas Day with bells on is different than someone who hasn't been since she was a kid thirty years ago.

I was telling her weeks before that since she was staying off site, even with the crowds, she'd be fine as long as she got there early in the morning when temps were cooler and lines would be shorter. I recommended she buy her tickets about a month before, book a couple FPs, and I mentioned a couple of my favorite QS options. I said nothing of spreadsheets or how she missed all the good ADRs 180 days ago. A week out, she told me they wouldn't get there until 10am and then buy their tickets at the gate. In case she changed her mind and didn't want to go. I couldn't let her do it in good conscience. From my perspective, I saved her money and misery. It would have been irresponsible of me to encourage her to spend $500 on tickets and not have the trip she wanted. She and her family had a wonderful time in Florida without stopping at Disney World, which is all that matters in the end. I'd rather that than her returning saying it was the worst day of their trip.

Depends on the person, I tell my boss he should send his wife and kids to Disney on their own and stay at home himself. If he would ever go, he would go because of the children. However, I know him, he has zero patience, hates waiting, doesn't understand magic and would probably try to talk his daughters out of meeting a woman in a costume pretending to be princess or a mouse. Seriously, the best thing for him is to stay away from Disney as far as possible. I told him the only way HE would have a good time was if he would spend an additional $2,500 on a VIP tour.

Spreadsheets and all are not necessary, (especially for first time visitors) a little preparation is necessary.

I only advise on when to go and where to stay, all other things depend on how likely it is they are going to listen to what I say.

It definitely depends on the person, my only caution would be that you may not know a coworker as well as you think you do. Or sometimes personality traits may not carry on vacation.

I hate lines, have little patience, not really a fan of meeting grown adults in costumes. Yet, WDW is my happy place. Doesn't at all mean everyone will be that way, but I wouldn't talk someone out of going if they want to. I'd give them any answers they're looking for and let them decide.

I'd ask a couple questions:
1. What is your overall goal? Family time together, ride all the rollercoasters, great food, fun photos? Depending on the answer I might give a couple tips for that idea.
2. Would you get up early if it meant you could do a lot more? If so, then a few rope drop tips.
3. Do you want to use the app? If they are techy, show them how it works so at least they can see how long lines are in different places.

Anything more with a week to go will just frustrate most people.

And I totally agree that managing someone else's trip is usually an exercise in futility for both sides.

PHXscuba

After trying to help a few people with trips I’m firmly in the less is more regarding trip planning.

I would ask how much help they actually wanted. There is a fine line between helpful and annoying, so I would offer a few tips and see how they responded.

In my experience (YMMV) most non-Disney folk who go to WDW don't stay on site. That would explain why he doesn't know about MB - he doesn't have one or need one.

I disagree with all the people who are suggesting you offer up books, subscriptions, maps, or copious advice. If this person wanted to go that route he surely would have.

Make sure he knows Fastpasses are free. Suggest a restaurant or specific snack. Let it go.

These ^

It is my opinion that if one cared enough and had the personality of a “planner” they’d find out all they needed to on their own. It’s not like the internet isn’t jam packed with Disney advice, planning sites, etc.

Some folks just want to fly by the seat of their pants. Who are we to tell them they need to know where they want to eat 180 is advance or their vacation is going down the toilet?

I have had people come to me AFTER speaking to someone who overwhelmed them with “everything they need to know” because it was too much. They wanted the short, layman’s advice.

Full disclosure. Outside travel dates, rope drop, 7am FOP FP booking and one or two not in high demand ADR’s over a 2 week trip I am essentially a non-planner. It’s vacation. Not a military op.

Just my .02

Only answer specific questions, if they haven't been prompted to ask or plan previous to this, they're probably the looser type tourer, fly by the seat of their pants type & they're really not interested in any real structure you might offer.

They'll also be the ones to return & say WDW isn't that great.

These ^

It is my opinion that if one cared enough and had the personality of a “planner” they’d find out all they needed to on their own. It’s not like the internet isn’t jam packed with Disney advice, planning sites, etc.

Some folks just want to fly by the seat of their pants. Who are we to tell them they need to know where they want to eat 180 is advance or their vacation is going down the toilet?

I have had people come to me AFTER speaking to someone who overwhelmed them with “everything they need to know” because it was too much. They wanted the short, layman’s advice.

Full disclosure. Outside travel dates, rope drop, 7am FOP FP booking and one or two not in high demand ADR’s over a 2 week trip I am essentially a non-planner. It’s vacation. Not a military op.

Just my .02
Totally agree. We've had trips with a lot of planning, others with minimal. We enjoyed both types of trips.:daisy:

:goodvibesI get that question a lot from co-workers, but normally their plans are a little further in the future! I share website info - (Dis Boards, All-Ears, Disney Tourist Blog, etc.) and the books I think have the best information - The Unofficial Guide, Easy Guide, Jim Korkis books for historical perspective, etc. I give my opinion on the “best” (haha) resort for their specific itinerary if they ask for it, but warn them I am hardly objective when it comes to Disney (which they’ve probably already figured out!).

We were lucky on our first trip - 1981. Only a few Disney resorts (we stayed at the Contemporary, but did eat dinner - lobster - at the Trophy Room at the Golf Resort! :goodvibes ),one theme park (not counting Discovery Island), one water park, and I think our only dinner reservation (not ADR back then!) was for HDDR! It is daunting for guests planning a first trip today, but they are lucky in that there is so much more information available .....and helpful co-workers! ;)

I sat down with a friend recently and showed her where to find the magic bands in MDE and explained how to book fps for her upcoming trip in 2 weeks. Then I explained about refresh and how to get a 4th, 5th, etc fp and told her "Have a great time, and while waiting somewhere, refresh, refresh, refresh". (I also told her what the hot rides were)

As for ADRs, with a few exceptions, free dining (and the invention of the MDE app) has helped in that most everything can be found a day or 2 out. People make multiple reservations, and drop what they do't want or simply change their plans, often at the last minute. I explained about the midnight deadline and told her to start checking a day or 2 in advance, but especially from 4 PM to 12 AM day before. Or, get up early and decide where to eat today.
I remember the first time we got shut out of reservations due to free dining (which we knew nothing about), we were so upset. We started going first thing in the morning to guest services to see what was available that day.The next time I over planned and my family was not happy. Now back to semi winging it. I call it "loosely planned". So, when a friend asks about planning last minute, I pretty much tell them the strategy I use. As for fps, the only ones I find necessary to get at 60+ are FOP, ToT, whatever I can get for TSL (waiting to see how SWGE goes), and SDMT. My friend got some decent fps at 2 weeks out, and I explained which ones were single rider. Last trip, I pretty much got everything I wanted using refresh, often day before or day of.
So, just give them a crash course on the basics.

ETA: they were staying on property so I explained about EMH.

I think with only a week to go, the best you could do is walk them through setting up an MDE account, making sure they have tickets linked and made some FP+ reservations. I would recommend getting there at rope drop and, if you have some more time, show them how to make extra FP+ from the MDE app once they've used their first three. Other than that, nothing. I think going above and beyond that will be incredibly overwhelming for everyone involved.
I agree with this. Its great advice. MDE app, link tickets, do FP's, and thats it. Im sorry but suggesting he read a book or a guide to disney world is a horrible suggestion.That's way too overwhelming. I mean come on, a book?? About how to vacation in Disney? LOL!

I would say,with only a week (though far less now) to help him set up his MDE account, which you can probably do with him during a break at work, help him link his passes and show him how to make FP and ADR and how to check ride times. I would leave the planning up to him and his party. If he just wants general advice from someone he thinks (and probably is) and expert, I say tell him to pack his patience, a hand held fan, and bring lots of bottled water in a backpack. Let him know it's ok to bring snacks and drinks into the park and to head left instead of right since most Americans instinctively circle starting to the right of a park. That's it. The best he can do at this point is be prepared for the heat and afternoon thunderstorms and enjoy what he is willing to wait in line for.

Most coworkers and casual friends I know don’t enjoy WDW because they think they can just show up (which I know you can and have it work out) but I think a newbie needs all the tools and knowledge to make it at least a semi-successful trip.

Totally agree. You can show up and have it work out...if you know how Disney works. If they're total newbies, they don't know what they don't know. Having a successful day at Disney is way different from having a successful day at Six Flags, and newbies don't necessarily get that.

With respect, this is because you know how Disney works. You know the lay out. You know how FP works (and how to refresh). You know about RD and riding at the end of the night. You know which restaurants need ADRs (and, if I recall, this doesn't apply to you because you bring all your own food). You have a realistic understanding of which rides will have crazy lines if you can't get FP. But if a newbie just plans to walk up to the castle and have lunch with Cinderella, that's going to be a problem, if that person's children have been looking forward to that. If a newbie shows up expecting to ride 7DMT and the mountains before lunch, and doesn't know about the FP system and the length of standby lines, that person is going to be disappointed. Many of us could show up tomorrow and still have a good time, but that's not the case for many newbies.

Story time. I was waiting in standby at HM last fall before my 7DMT FP window, and noticed a large family group (like 10 people) behind me. We started chatting and found out it was the 11-year-old's birthday and they all decided to go to WDW and bought tickets at the gate. I asked what FP they had planned, and the mom said none. I asked why, and she indignantly replied, "because they're too expensive!" I was like, "they're FREE!" So I spent the rest of the time in line on her phone setting up an MDE account and linking the tickets for all of them (except for a college age son and family friend who had their own MDE accounts and would need to link themselves). Anyway, I hope they were able to set up at least a few FP for the day, as we got to the ride entrance before I could do that. But I explained how it worked. So this big party of 10 was going to wait all day in standby lines simply because they didn't know the basics of FP. Would they have enjoyed themselves? Probably, but not as much as with FP. And if they'd gone at Christmas or Thanksgiving, forget it - standby all day would be a nightmare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter