Advice for lost boys

I know your pain. My supervisor was asking me this week about Orlando and that his DS11 hasn’t decided between Disney and Universal. He leaves in 2 weeks and I think they only plan one park day. Completely in the dark. I told him to go to Universal only because at this late stage I don’t think they would enjoy WDW and I feel Universal is a little less busy. Most coworkers and casual friends I know don’t enjoy WDW because they think they can just show up (which I know you can and have it work out) but I think a newbie needs all the tools and knowledge to make it at least a semi-successful trip. I agree, if you can get their tickets linked in the MDE app and give them some basic information and maybe a few suggestions, that’s about the best you can do.

50/50 chance they hate it, or have a blast.

I do think on some level people have to figure it out for themselves, so I don’t overly volunteer info or that I have any ‘expertise’ (which is questionable to begin with). I didn’t know squat when we started regularly going in 2013, and I’d like to think we turned out ok.

I am far more helpful with all you strangers here than I am with friends who inquire! :-)

Agreed. I usually offer a tip or two and see how they react. I've not yet had people ask me for more.

That said, my DH just asked me today to help a coworker with his family's first trip. DH wants me to tell him about refreshing and other advanced FP topics. I didn't know about those things when we went the first time and I was stressed enough about the planning. I don't know if I should go down that path or not. Have people here refreshed on their first trip? Were you glad someone told you about it (or you read it here)?

I kind of feel like there is so much to see and do during the busy times of the day when you've never been before that refreshing is perhaps unnecessary. Especially since his kids are really young and won't be riding Space.

On the other hand, young kids, so why not help him get 13 IASW FPs in a row, so he's not waiting in line for that, right? :rolleyes1

I have had people reach out and be very serious about taking advice. I actually sit once a month with my bff to go over things for her family's first trip in 2021! I've also had people throw it out there in casual conversation and clearly they're just being friendly and not really interested in any advice I have to give. So from that I decide how much detailed advice I give.

I think the best thing you can offer them is to make sure they understand FP+, at least at a basic level. If I had to pick one thing that would be a "make or break" at WDW, that would be it. It's a very different experience if you get to go on attractions without a long wait instead of standing in lines all day.

The rest I don't think is a big deal...I don't even think avoiding MK on Saturday or MonWednesday is a "thing"...or even avoiding parks with EMH. As an offsite person, I don't think those matter at all.

I had a similar experience but with friends that were staying on site and leaving in 4 weeks. They rang panicking as they hadn't been to Disney for 20 years and so much had changed.

They booked the hotel through booking.com - the Beach club - but missed out on free dining etc. They then booked their tickets through someone else and nothing was linked to a MDE account.

soooo 6 hours later I left their house and they had fast passes for most things and instructions on how to book more.

They had a great time thank goodness.

Many years ago, before fast pass and magic bands, our neighbor in Atlanta told me they were taking their kids to WDW and wanted advice. She knew we took our kids to WDW every year. I told her to go buy a Birnbaum's WDW guide immediately and be at the parks at rope drop. She did neither. When they returned, she came over asking me why in the world we loved WDW. They arrived at the parks at 11:30 a.m., said they rode very little because they lines were so long and kept getting lost because the parks were so large. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Today there are so many wonderful internet sources of information for WDW but I guess some people just are not planners like I am. Now we live 50 miles from WDW and I still plan even the day trips, 30 days out, so our visits are wonderful. I commend everyone who tries to help others......it sure makes a difference to be ready to fully experience and enjoy WDW :)

I answer specific questions with specific answers.

I agree with this. In your place, I would have felt that my coworker was putting a lot of pressure on me by asking for assistance at the last minute. I would suggest that the coworker either review the WDW website or grab a comprehensive guidebook ASAP and then come back to me with questions. If necessary, I might help with setting up an MDE account, linking tickets, and showing them how to schedule FP+ and ADR. It’s the coworker’s vacation, so they should be doing most of the work. Taking on too much responsibility for someone’s vacation has the potential to not turn out well if they have a lousy time.

My face lights up when people ask me Disney advice!!!! But I’m sure after the first 5 minutes of speaking, they probably wish they never asked!!!! For me, it’s a joy to help people with their Disney trips! I try to cram in as much info as I can in a short period of time!

The main things I feel are important to explain are the FP tiers at Epcot and Hollywood studios and importance of booking ADR’s on their 180 day and FP’s on 60. Definitely tell them to take a break in the afternoon! Don’t try to get everything done in one shot because they are going to wear themselves out! I’d tell them about EMH so they can either go in the park early or stay late if they choose. If they are good friends, my best advice would be to go to Disney when we go, so I could be their personal tour guide!! lol I’m sure there’s more, just drawing a blank...

No, I wouldn't avoid MK on a Monday...or a Tuesday or any other day. MK is the most popular park, so it's always the most crowded. I don't really think you're going to notice a huge difference between Monday and any other day. We certainly don't.

Help them set up their MDE account............explain book 3 FP, get 4th later (5th etc).........encourage rope drop........eat lunch at 11, not noon.

That's about all I think I could get away with..............without overwhelming them or coming across like a nut!

PS- a couple of years ago my daughter invited an adult friend who knew nothing about WDW. We had a highly engineered touring plan that included rope drop each day. They were blown away at how much we did and how large the crowds became AFTER we did our thing. They had no idea how much planning it took, but enjoyed the benefit of my family's experience and knowledge!

Anytime I hear someone ask about planning a Disney trip, I head the other way. Many years ago I had a boss ask me to help me plan their family trip so I did. They couldn't get out of bed early enough to do half the plan. I learned from that experience that not everyone has the same affinity for Disney as my family does. Nor does everyone vacation the same. Disney, especially a first trip, is not a beach vacation.

My step son's wife asked me recently about helping them with a trip, even asked us to go. At first I was excited, then the realization of what that trip would be like started to sink in. If Christmas dinner is at 4 I tell them it's at 2 so that they will be there at 4, they are late for everything. Getting them to understand the importance of ADRs and FPs would be a nightmare. I sent her some links to some sites and youtube videos and left it at that. Hearing from me that you need to make dining reservations 180 days in advance makes me sound like the crazy Disney fan, hearing it and reading it from more official sources may help her understand.

Are you sure that no planning has been done? We set a vacation time nearly 12 months in advance and my DH will freak me out and text me about every month "What dates is the vacation again?" He pays for a lot of the vacation and he is easygoing once we are there (and usually buys me a present for planning), but he just leaves the planning up to me. Just how our family works.
I have a co-worker who went who knew nothing but her brother was on the trip and he planned everything.
I have friends who went, stayed offsite with extended family, planned nothing and had a great time.

But I would talk to them about MDE and Fastpasses. Mention that rope drop is the best time for short waits. Mention that they will have a hard time with table service restaurants (like eating with characters) if they haven't already booked that, but those are very expensive anyhow.

Just wondering, would you recommend avoiding AK on Monday's once SWGE opens? We were planning a Monday AK day in early Sept.

Nobody really knows how Star Wars will affect all of the other parks. But in general there isn't any reason to really avoid AK simply because it's a Monday. A lot of people talk about avoiding certain parks on certain days, but I think that's rather outdated information. Weekends are generally busier for all parks, but I think the day of the week has less to do with crowd levels than it used to be. Things like EMH, DAH, FP availability, etc. have the greater impact now. If I were you I would go ahead with your plans and not worry about which park on which date. If Star Wars affects crowds throughout all the parks, I doubt one park will be affected more than others (aside from HS of course).

I think mistake filled first trips are memorable. I have fond memories of waiting 75 minutes for splash mountain because my mom and I didn't realize there were fastpasses :rolleyes1.

Tell them it will probably be crowded, there's a lot to do and see, don't be surprised if you don't get it all done.

I've done both super planned trips and trips where we just winged it. They're both fun.

A co-worker came up to me today, "Hey, I heard you know about Disney World, I leave for there next week, any advice?"

Sure, Do you have your magic bands linked to your account?

"What's a magic band?"

Ruh roh Shaggy....

How would you best help someone who's staying off site and has done zero planning or research?

This made me chuckle. I hope they have a good time. I've heard people say that the best trips are those without plans.

As someone posted, depending on how busy life is for me at the moment and how well I know them determines my response. I have babysat someone through a trip and even linked to them on MDE and made FPs for them as they were in the parks to teach them refresh. But for others, I agree..here is a link to unofficial guide and hope you have fun.

"Hey, I heard you know about Disney World, I leave for there next week, any advice?"
Wow - That is a lot of money to spend when you know nothing about where you are going. Honestly there isn't much you can do at this point. Maybe get them on the My Disney experience app and let them know they can check for FP and ADR and knowing how to refresh to find FP. Strongly recommend RD as this might be the only way to hit the hot rides

And the real response should have been -- you should have talked to me 6 months ago. But I guess be as helpful as you can for a last minute trip.

Unfortunately these last minute, lack of planning trips really can ruin WDW for someone. They will say - we couldn't get into any restaurants or the lines were long for everything and they will never want to return When we (uber planners) know that at least some sort of plan will help avoid these issues and help create a memorable and enjoyable trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter