Advice for lost boys

SgtTibbs

RunDisney'er
A co-worker came up to me today, "Hey, I heard you know about Disney World, I leave for there next week, any advice?"

Sure, Do you have your magic bands linked to your account?

"What's a magic band?"

Ruh roh Shaggy....

How would you best help someone who's staying off site and has done zero planning or research?

A co-worker came up to me today, "Hey, I heard you know about Disney World, I leave for there next week, any advice?"

Sure, Do you have your magic bands linked to your account?

"What's a magic band?"

Ruh roh Shaggy....

How would you best help someone who's staying off site and has done zero planning or research?
Send them a link to buy the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World on amazon.

How much do I like them, and how busy is my life right now?

If the answers are "a lot" and "not very" (in that order) - Head over to their house, maps in hand, and start with the basics of which park is which, and what the headliner rides are. If they've purchased tickets in advance, help them set up their MDE account and book some fastpasses/ADRs. Explain about magic bands, and refer them to guest services to link them if they want to buy them in the gift shop. Leave them with one of my old books to read on the plane (with sticky notes saying "skip this chapter" on the bits they should have done six months ago that will only make them feel bad.)

If it's someone who will actually absorb and enjoy the info, I would give them a whole workshop on it. However, not everyone is interested in all the nuances of planning a WDW vacation. A lot of people want to just show up and wing it. It's insanity to my type A+ brain but I respect that not everyone travels how I do.

For instance, I'm planning a family trip for this fall and their eyes glaze over anytime I mention the pre-planning. They've fully entrusted me with all aspects of the planning because it just doesn't matter to them. I know that after the trip is over, they'll thank their lucky stars (and me, hopefully) that we ate at good restaurants, took breaks, and still got to ride the things we wanted :rolleyes1

I'm assuming this person is not super type A based on the fact that they don't seem to have done any research on WDW. I'd just give them a few little tips if that's the case (versus the full-blown dissection of ADRs, FP+, RD, etc. That can make people's heads spin).

I think with only a week to go, the best you could do is walk them through setting up an MDE account, making sure they have tickets linked and made some FP+ reservations. I would recommend getting there at rope drop and, if you have some more time, show them how to make extra FP+ from the MDE app once they've used their first three. Other than that, nothing. I think going above and beyond that will be incredibly overwhelming for everyone involved.

50/50 chance they hate it, or have a blast.

I do think on some level people have to figure it out for themselves, so I don’t overly volunteer info or that I have any ‘expertise’ (which is questionable to begin with). I didn’t know squat when we started regularly going in 2013, and I’d like to think we turned out ok.

I am far more helpful with all you strangers here than I am with friends who inquire! :-)

I'd be sure they had tickets now, and help them get whatever FP & ADRs they could while reviewing the basics of MDE. Then I'd get them a subscription to TP and make a plan with whatever I was able to scrape up. There's no time for them to learn very much, but a step-by-step guide would be immensely helpful. Just go here and do this, and learn to optimize. I agree with @PollyannaMom that reading about what they should have done could be depressing, so probably all I'd do is give them some maps to study on the way, and suggest they read the WDW website as much as possible. Disney always makes everything sound wonderful.

Teach them about rope drop for sure. Then remind my co-worker about it every single day until they depart.

And I'd light a candle for them on Sunday because they're going to need all the help they can get!

I think with only a week to go, the best you could do is walk them through setting up an MDE account, making sure they have tickets linked and made some FP+ reservations. I would recommend getting there at rope drop and, if you have some more time, show them how to make extra FP+ from the MDE app once they've used their first three. Other than that, nothing. I think going above and beyond that will be incredibly overwhelming for everyone involved.

This exactly - good luck!

In my experience (YMMV) most non-Disney folk who go to WDW don't stay on site. That would explain why he doesn't know about MB - he doesn't have one or need one.

I disagree with all the people who are suggesting you offer up books, subscriptions, maps, or copious advice. If this person wanted to go that route he surely would have.

Make sure he knows Fastpasses are free. Suggest a restaurant or specific snack. Let it go.

I like helping people with this stuff, but I would probably stick to the basics.
1. Get them scheduled with some Fastpasses each day, so that they at least have something.
2. Tell them to download the Disney app and help them get acquainted.
3. Let them know not to get stressed out about doing everything. Maybe give 1-2 recommendations per park on things to do and places to eat and leave them to explore. If they're asking a week in advance, they might not be the type who need to have every moment mapped out anyway.

The one person I know who was caught truly unprepared was my boss. She decided to wing it with her kids between Christmas and New Years, and had no idea what "crowded" meant until she got there. She has sworn never to go back to WDW.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

They have Costco discount tickets. Does anyone know if what you get from Costco can be linked or do they need to redeem them at the gate?

Since they won't have park hopper, I'll suggest they avoid any park with early morning hours.

I would (personally) tell them that people plan for Disney for months and they will have a hard time finding good tableside dining. Tell them about Disney Springs as an option for some good dining and a "chance" they might get into a good restaurant.

I would ALSO tell them about Rope Drop and Park Closing strategies to ride the hard to get rides.

At that point, I would call it a day. There is nothing else that could help them at this late stage.

So far I have:
  • Get an MDE account, and link your Costco tickets to it.
  • Get the phone app, you can use the phone app to make fastpass reservations and pre-order food at some restaurants.
  • Avoid AK on Monday's and Saturday's
  • You can get free ice water at any fast-serve restaurant
  • Popular rides might have a shorter wait time just before the park closes

And that's probably about as much as I can hope to pass on to them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter