Advice for Flying with 2 Lightsabers

Piglet_Mom

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are visiting Disney World for a long weekend at the end of the month. We originally planned to visit Hollywood Studios on the day we fly out because there isn't much to do there at the moment and we were thinking Star Wars would be too busy to bother with. However, we ended up actually being able to score reservations for Oga's and Savi's, so we will be making a visit to Batuu after all.

Here's our problem. We will be doing RAC before heading over to the Studios, and will leave a carry-on with Bell Services. We anticipate needing the carry-on for all of the items we will likely acquire that day. I managed to get two reservations for Savi's and we both would really like to build our own lightsaber. I'm just worried about how we're going to get everything home without hassle from the airline (Delta) about having too many items carried on.

We will probably detach the hilts of the lightsabers and put them in our backpack or carry-on. Is it possible to fit two blades in one of the bags from Savi's? Is there a reasonably priced bag/container we could purchase ahead of time? Do they package sabers for shipping at Savi's?

What are everyone's thoughts and suggestions?

My husband and I are visiting Disney World for a long weekend at the end of the month. We originally planned to visit Hollywood Studios on the day we fly out because there isn't much to do there at the moment and we were thinking Star Wars would be too busy to bother with. However, we ended up actually being able to score reservations for Oga's and Savi's, so we will be making a visit to Batuu after all.

Here's our problem. We will be doing RAC before heading over to the Studios, and will leave a carry-on with Bell Services. We anticipate needing the carry-on for all of the items we will likely acquire that day. I managed to get two reservations for Savi's and we both would really like to build our own lightsaber. I'm just worried about how we're going to get everything home without hassle from the airline (Delta) about having too many items carried on.

We will probably detach the hilts of the lightsabers and put them in our backpack or carry-on. Is it possible to fit two blades in one of the bags from Savi's? Is there a reasonably priced bag/container we could purchase ahead of time? Do they package sabers for shipping at Savi's?

What are everyone's thoughts and suggestions?
They have been good allowing lightsabers sticking out of a carryon. You won’t be able to fit two blades in their cases. The cases fit pretty tightly. I also wouldn’t suggest transporting them in anything other than the cases they give you. It’ll give you the best chance to get it home in the same condition you built it in. The bags are great.

I contemplated separating the blade from the hilt but decided against it as then it would be one more additional thing to take care of. I sat next to the window (SWA) and it fit perfect between the seat and the plane with little to no wiggle room, NO issues carrying it on. The case or bag is very durable as it feels very simular to those swimming noodles and even the top part of the hilt has some padding, there is no room for extra blades in 1 case/bag and I would not try it. I took my backpack and the LS as my carry on, I would also advise on not placing them in the overhead bin as those who take their OVERSTUFFED luggage on just dont care and are all to fast to toss and shove them in there with no concern........

You should get one carry on and one personal item per person. 3 items between two people seems like it should be fine. I did put my hilt in my checked luggage to make the blade bag lighter but I think it would have been fine to leave it together.

Where are you staying? I shipped our lightsaber home from the BWI convention center mail room. I chose 5-7 UPS ground with an additional $100 in insurance coverage (it came with $100 included in the shipping cost). It came to about $34 and ended up at my house in about 4 days.

Where are you staying? I shipped our lightsaber home from the BWI convention center mail room. I chose 5-7 UPS ground with an additional $100 in insurance coverage (it came with $100 included in the shipping cost). It came to about $34 and ended up at my house in about 4 days.
We’ll be staying at All-Star Movies this visit. Not sure if they would even have that option.

Woh brave soul trusting them not to smash things up as UPS can be rough as the last 3 items we got from UPS were banged up

I contemplated separating the blade from the hilt but decided against it as then it would be one more additional thing to take care of. I sat next to the window (SWA) and it fit perfect between the seat and the plane with little to no wiggle room, NO issues carrying it on. The case or bag is very durable as it feels very simular to those swimming noodles and even the top part of the hilt has some padding, there is no room for extra blades in 1 case/bag and I would not try it. I took my backpack and the LS as my carry on, I would also advise on not placing them in the overhead bin as those who take their OVERSTUFFED luggage on just dont care and are all to fast to toss and shove them in there with no concern........

Do you mean on the floor under the seat in front and then as far back under your own seat as it can go?

Also, do you recall what airplane you were in?

We flew home on SW. We had a backpack, purse, duffle bag, computer bag, and light saber - which is one item too many for two people. To avoid any issues, I put my purse into the duffle bag (small crossbody bag) and left it in there until after we boarded. I was going to put the lightsaber in the overhead, but the flight attendant told me it could get broken with people jamming bags up there, so it keep it with me or put it up at the very last. We ended up being allowed to keep it sitting between the two of us - but that I think kind of depends on the mood of the flight attendant - strictly speaking it wouldn't be "legal".

My lightsaber virgin put in their cupboard they have. Like others have said I would not put them in an overhead bin. I’d rather sit with it between my legs than do that and I wouldn’t start taking it apart either. It’s perfectly safe in carry case they give you

Do you mean on the floor under the seat in front and then as far back under your own seat as it can go?

Also, do you recall what airplane you were in?

No, if you look there is a small gap between the seat (arm) and the plane wall, it was long enough that I was able to fit it between them, then I placed the blade just under the seat in front of me, it fit perfect with little to no wiggle room....

We flew home on SW. We had a backpack, purse, duffle bag, computer bag, and light saber - which is one item too many for two people. To avoid any issues, I put my purse into the duffle bag (small crossbody bag) and left it in there until after we boarded. I was going to put the lightsaber in the overhead, but the flight attendant told me it could get broken with people jamming bags up there, so it keep it with me or put it up at the very last. We ended up being allowed to keep it sitting between the two of us - but that I think kind of depends on the mood of the flight attendant - strictly speaking it wouldn't be "legal".
So, I was brave and decided to test the packaging disney provided. I also don't like confined spaces and flying to begin with so I didn't want to be dealing with a lightsaber at my feet. I threw it in the overhead bin, then people came and put their roller suitcases in front of it. It survived without a scratch.

You can request that the flight attendant put it in the first class closet (even if you're not flying first class) since it's delicate, but DH was allowed to basically hold it/put it between his seat and the window.

Could you cut a pool noodle in half and pack it like that? Is the hilt too big?
This is basically what the case they give you is. I don’t know if the hilt would fit in a standard pool noodle, but they give you a bag with padding that fits.

So, I was brave and decided to test the packaging disney provided. I also don't like confined spaces and flying to begin with so I didn't want to be dealing with a lightsaber at my feet. I threw it in the overhead bin, then people came and put their roller suitcases in front of it. It survived without a scratch.
I’d rather not put them in the overhead bin, but this is good to know just in case.

Woh brave soul trusting them not to smash things up as UPS can be rough as the last 3 items we got from UPS were banged up

Yeah, I didn't really know what else to do, honestly. We flew JetBlue and they have become real sticklers with carry-ons, so, I felt, any method I chose - shipping, checking, gate-checking or carrying it on - could end with a bad outcome. The CM at the BWI convention center mail office used two UPS shipping tubes to pack it and I asked him to put some extra bubble wrap inside as the hilt end of the carrying case doesn't have a lot of padding and it's quite heavy (I could hear it sliding around after he packed it). When it arrived, the top of one of the tubes was starting to come open (the hilt was probably banging on that end), but, luckily, it was fine. That's also why I insured it for $200 which was a minimal cost (an extra $2 maybe?). I definitely feel lucky that it arrived in one piece and still functional!

They arent quite as delicate as they are made out to be honestly. I took my hilt off and just put it in my computer bag, put the blade in the custom sheath, folded the top over where hilt would've gone tightened the string and put that in the overhead. I mean sure they COULD get broken, but if something was pushed up against it the carry case is going to protect it AND it would take a bit to actually break it.. I figured IF something happened, I'd just have to get a new blade. But the case it pretty padded.

I can't believe I never thought of cramming my purse in my carryon so I could bring my lightsaber as my personal item. That was a great idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter