Adventures in making Candied Orange Peels

Tiggerkeeper

<font color=9900FF>DIS Veteran<font color=0099FF><
The recipe called for 24 oranges I used 12 and whoa, that's plenty!! I would recommend using regular juice oranges. I used navels and the pith was like a sponge and held liquid so that the peels had a very hard time drying. Cut the peels about the same width as a McDonald's french fry. I tried a few of the peels even though they never dried and the taste was wonderful!! This is a must try again! I am going to try again next Saturday after I get my annual orange shipment.

These really are impressive looking and tasting when dry. My step mom says she uses the same technique with lemon peels for garnishing lemon pie.

Back to the kitchen I go!!!!!!!!!!

TK

P.S. The recipe for this candy is under a thread by the same name.

TK - Thanks for the update! I didn't get to these on Saturday - I forgot that DD had a TKD tournament & then MsSocks came over for a cookie marathon.

I'm a little surprised about the navel orange rinds - since the purchased version seems to be that large - but it makes perfect sense. I may just cut back on the pith, though, since I want to use what I have here in the house.

Can't wait to try these!

Deb

I also tried this recipe. I cut way back on it to see if it really did work. It turned out fine. so I have went out and bought more oranges. I am going to make them and give a Xmas gifts. They are really good and also very impressive.

Has anyone done Grapefruit rind? I am going to try. Since I live in Florida I thought I would try.

webmomom, what kind of oranges did you use? I thought they would be impressive too. Grapefruit sounds interesting I bet they would be good this way!

I used naval oranges. they worked quite well. Tomorrow I am going to try the grapefruit

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter