• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Adventure Awaits! - April 13-21, 2013 - Tokyo, Tokyo Disney Resort

tfc3rid

DIS Veteran
Well, I am excited about my upcoming journey to Japan. My DW and I, who LOVE to travel, are ready to embark on our first adventure across the Pacific.

Background:
My dream as a Disney Fanatic has always been to visit the Tokyo Disney Resort, particularly DisneySea. So, as I've been researching times to visit on DisBoards and on other Disney oriented forums, I determined that a visit in Mid-April, between Spring Break and Golden Week would be good, even though it would be right over the 30th Anniversary Day for Tokyo Disneyland.

Accomodations:
The plan was to use my Disney Vacation Club points for a 6 or 7 night stay at either the Hotel MiraCosta or the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel (or both)... Now, most times, folks will tell you that using DVC points for this would be a terrible use of points. However, based on the price of the rooms and amount of points used, it actually is a very good use of points, as that time in April is a 'low points season' for use at TDR.

Well, 6 months ahead of our arrival date, I called DVC Member Services, gave them the required information and let them work their magic. Booking through DVC MS for TDR is a bit different, as they are not privy to the available rooms so it will take about 24 hours.

I wanted arrival on Saturday, April 13 and departure on Saturday, April 20 at Hotel Miracosta but would be open to Sunday to Sunday. Well, the next day, I received an email from DVC saying that my accommodations were booked at MiraCosta for Sunday, April 14 to Saturday, April 20. Wanting one additional night, I looked to see if the Disneyland Hotel was booked for Saturday, April 20 and got a room there...

So... Hotels out of the way. Staying at MiraCosta 4/14 - 4/20 and the DLH 4/20-4/21.

Flights:
Now living in Atlanta and being pretty savvy with finding great airfares, I set my budget for airfare from ATL at $1,200 R/T, inclusive of all taxes. Now, that was a fairly optimistic fare, seeing as most ATL-TYO fares are around $1,700... But, you never know. I would keep looking every day. I even debated booking a R/T out of LAX and would get to LA 'somehow'... However, about a week ago, I noticed I could get ATL-TYO on Delta (stop in LAX each way) for under $1,200 R/T. I jumped at it... The problem? I would have to arrive to Haneda Airport on Saturday, April 13 at 10:30 PM (2230) and depart from Haneda on Monday morning, April 22 at Midnight. Not a huge problem in order to stay below my budget for airfare. I booked the R/T for $1,170 (same itinerary is now $1,700)... However, I also decided to book a room at the Haneda Excel Tokyu Hotel for that night to avoid traveling after the long flying day and so that we can take the early AM Limousine Bus to MiraCosta. I was able to score the Airport Hotel room for $225. Considering I came in under budget for airfare and am paying no other hotel expenses, I would make that deal.

The Plan:
As of right now, I'm still working an itinerary together. My hope is that the special Park Hopper passes will be available to Disney Resort guests and that we will do the park Monday through Thursday (4 days).

Since we will have some time on Sunday 4/14, I think we can venture into Tokyo. I also planned some Tokyo touring Friday, Saturday 4/19 and 4/20.

I am so looking forward o this journey and hope to keep updating this report as we get closer!

Yay, we will be there exactly the same times. We arrive on Thursday 11th , staying at sheraton grande, we will be touring tokyo and the hitting the parks Monday 15th to Thursday 18th,
I am concerned the anniversary celebrations will make the parks crowded, but can't change now. It is school break time in Australia, so we are limited to this time.

I booked airfare in July and booked accommodation, but have not done too much other planning. Although have done a lot of reading.

You got the Miracosta - you are so lucky! We never manage to get in there. We also use DVC points when we stay (we bought them in the states, not expecting we'd end up moving to Japan). It is pretty nice not getting a bill at the end of your stay. As Japan is a very cash based society, I have seen people paying for their Tokyo DLH stay in cash. That is a whole lotta Japanese dollars! :)

Have a great trip - the hotels are beautiful!

We, too, are headed to TDL in April. Although we will be going the first week. This shouldn't be a bad time to go. Japanese schools begin in April, so I am hoping for the best.

I thought about using our DVC points, but it seemed pretty outrageous. I will have to look again. A four night stay would be about 156,000 yen or 210 points. I think I could get more cash for the points

Hhmmmm.

These are great post we are thinking of April of 2014, looking forward to trip reports.

Would like to use points for the room however would still need a small trip fix to GCV/DL so need to plan

35 days to our outbound flight... Getting excited and nervous... Trying to develop an itinerary for touring Tokyo proper. I figure we are going to have about 3 days for that...

Intimidated regarding the language... Are there any offline english to japanese translators avaialble for smartphones? Google translate requires a data connection... I will have zero cell service while over there and sounds like free WiFi is not that prevalent...

Other than that worry... I'm looking forward to going...

Hmm...not sure of offline apps. You're best bet is too learn a few helpful phrases.

Thank you
Please
Pardon me
Sorry
Do you speak English
I don't understand
Where is the bathroom

and my personal favorite
What is this (very important in food)

The Google translate app allows you "star" phrases. I wonder if you could do a bunch ahead of time and then access what you have bookmarked.

We leave next Friday for our trip to Tokyo and TDR. So excited!! I've been using Pimsleur but am definitely doing to need some help with my Japanese. I downloaded the Japanese for Dunmies app to use after searching the net for recommendations. Not sure if I will need a connection, but DH and I are renting a pocket WiFi from Global to keep with us during our trip. Less than $100 for our 10 day trip.

I start many of my conversations in Japan with "Eigo de daijoubou desu ka?" Which means, in english okay? If they don't speak any english they will likely tell you "chotto matte" or please wait, and get someone who does.

Have a great trip! :)

We leave for TDL/TDS in two weeks and have been doing the Pimsleur cds. I think my default opening will be:

Sumimasen. Eigo ga wakarimasu ka

or

Sumimasen anata wa eigo ga wakarimasu ka

Andy

Those will work great!

I start out with the "English okay" because they often think I'm Japanese (I'm Vietnamese/American and only speak English). I get a lot of weird looks when I can't respond in fluent Japanese.

My husband is a big white dude so he stands out a bit here. The Japanese often just go straight to English with him. :)

Either way, you'll find the Japanese to be very kind and generous people who greatly enjoy when visitors do their best to try to speak Japanese.

The weather is slowly starting to shape up here so hopefully it will be great for your trip! :)

My husband is a big white dude so he stands out a bit here. The Japanese often just go straight to English with him.

Yep me too, big and a readhead. I've been on two biz trips, Tokyo & Kyoto/Osaka - and never had a language issue.

Can't wait.

Andy

I think my default opening will be:

or

Careful. "Anata" does mean "you", but is rarely actually used in Japanese. The first sentence is more "natural" (and has the benefit of being easier...).

Well, we are back and it was everything I hoped it would be and more... The
Disney Parks are tremendous... Well-maintained, operated flawlessly and just so far and away immersive... MiraCosta was a great hotel but the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel far exceeded the Miracosta in my opinion...

The attractions unique to Tokyo were incredible and the attractions we have state-side were better because of technology, maintenance, etc...

The only stressful part of the journey was really the language issue. It was a bigger deal than I expected it to be... By the end of our trip, my wife and I were just so exhausted from trying... But do not be discouraged...

Overall, it was great and I'll build in the details over the next few weeks as I sort through our 4500 pictures.

We leave for TDL/TDS in two weeks and have been doing the Pimsleur cds. I think my default opening will be:

or

Andy

Your first sentence is the same one I use!!

Well......we didn't get to use our Japanese skills much (if any). By the time we opened our mouths virtually everybody we met was speaking english.

Even in restaurants, by the time we were seated 'english' menus would arrive lol.

Andy

Well......we didn't get to use our Japanese skills much (if any). By the time we opened our mouths virtually everybody we met was speaking english.

Even in restaurants, by the time we were seated 'english' menus would arrive lol.

Andy

Wow... Complete opposite of my experience... LOL

Wow... Complete opposite of my experience... LOL

Yeah we were kinda bummed. We'd spent weeks with the language CDs too.

Oh well. DD now wants to take Japanese in 8th grade so we'll just have to go back and practice :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter