Advanced Dining Reservation window changing from 180 to 60 days prior to arrival

So you're just here to argue, lecture, and act like you're smarter than everyone else.

Sorry to everyone who has put a lot of time and effort into planning their vacation only to have it canceled or significantly altered to the point it isn't worth going. I know Disney is a once-in-a-lifetime thing for a lot of people. And for many others, it's tradition, and others it was supposed to be a welcome escape from everything else. I hope you all get another opportunity to come enjoy the full experience.
Nope, not at all, I’m just telling it like it is. Sorry you’re taking it that way. I’ve learned in life to always put yourself in the other persons shoes, and that’s what I’m trying to express. Eveyone has lots of feelings right now, so carry on! That’s what these boards are for...express it and get it out there!

Hey everyone: Let's take a deep breath here and move on. This thread is for the discussion of the change in the dining reservation window. Let's stick to that topic.

I don't want to have to close this thread.

Thanks!

I think I am actually going to enjoy this trip if everyone else wants to cancel. It will be a different experience that's for sure. But, with lower crowds, no fastpasses and possibly having to be spontaneous with dining this could be fun. Also think about this...... If you have ever wanted to go to the least crowded park now you will know which one. It will be the park that still has reservations open.
Me too!

It is a bummer that all of my ADRs that I planned and got up early to book are going to be canceled for our mid November trip but such is life. The only part I'm worried about is taking away the dining plan. It works well for our family and I like having my dining already paid for and just have to worry about gratuity. I work in a very busy hospital here in PA and as I'm sweltering in my n95 and PPE I think of my upcoming Disney vacation and all of the magic, fun, and memories that we are going to continue to create regardless of the situation. It is my escape and I will be happy sitting on a park bench in Frontierland listening to my favorite music loop and eating a Mickey pretzel. Sending pixie dust to everyone :tink:

I don't know why they don't just cancel as soon as they find out they need to rather than a blanket cancel. Annoying.

The big reason is that they already know that restaurant capacity is going to be drastically reduced across the board for awhile, so they were looking at a situation where half of all ADRs would be cancelled. Instead of arbitrarily choosing who got to keep the reservations and who lost out, starting from scratch is more fair.

Also, probably because so much else is going to be changing for the next year or two in how people are allowed to go into the parks and whatnot, they needed to start from scratch. Given the park reservation system they are going to have, park hopping is likely to go away, which means a lot of people with ADRs won't even be able to keep them and then there would be a run on other dining options. With all the changes coming, ADR planning that made sense before COVID won't work anymore for many people. You would have a situation where people who had ADRs heavy on character meals/in-park restaurants were suddenly scrambling for the few available ADRs outside of the parks and with no characters. By starting from scratch, this will allow everyone to see how things are going to be going forward and plan accordingly and it ensures that no one is unfairly hurt by making ADRs that they no longer can use.

Maybe the silver lining on all of this will be that the powers that be at WDW might realize shorter ADR windows are better, thus ideally minimizing hoarding by those who grab every hard-to-find reservation in sight at 180+10 and hold them until park hours are released many months later. 60 days for ADRs and 45 for FP+ for onsite guests would be great. With no FP at reopening, I wonder if they are planning to really reduce overall entrance capacity in order to space guests out in the lines. For those that keep their trips, perhaps waits will be incredibly short! (Or really long, if they are cleaning vehicles more often or spacing guests out on the vehicles too).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!