Advance reservations, AP's DDE, PS, etc

FLYNZ4

DIS Veteran
We are going to WDW Aug 6th for 13 nights. So far we have the following reserved:

1) Arrival night in 2 Pop Century rooms (AP discount) for our arrival night (we arrive on a Saturday late night)
2) 12 nights at BCV in a 2BR, plus a studio for the last week.
3) PAP are ordered for all of us (today)
4) Minivan for the duration

What are our next steps? Here is what I know we need to do

1) Order DDE on or about 7/1/05. Do you think we will get our card in time? We are going back to WDW on 7/1/06.. and we want the DDE to work for that vacation too. I believe if the current track record holds... our DDE will expire 7/31/06... which will be just fine. We might have to use the email print-out for this trip (but I am hoping for the card)

2) PS for any restaurants? I considered getting reservations for HDD... but I am not 100% sure that I could stand seeing that show again. What discounts do we have available? I seem to remember maybe the last show (9:30) has some sort of DDE or DVC, or AP discount... but I cannot remember for sure.

3) Any other shows that are a "must see" to get advanced reservations? We usually just make our reservations for the various restaurants a day or two in advance, without too much trouble... but we will have a big party this time. (6-8 depending on the week).

Any other suggestions for me? Our group size will be much larger than normal... and 3 of the people have never seen WDW.

Thanks in advance.

/Jim

We have done trips with large groups of Disney neophytes too, and it's probably best not to overwhelm them. The very favorite show of everyone we take is Cirque du Soliel. We usually don't make dining arrangements before arriving either except for holidays. If your DDE cards don't arrive in time, you can call and have them reserve a letter for you to use instead of the card.

The key to taking a large group of neophytes is planning. Make sure THEY all read the tour books etc about now, so you can meet ahead of time and discuss what everyone is most interested in. We usually plan specific days for things. ie, each park and each major show like Illuminations, Fantasmic, Wishes, etc.

I don't think the DDE card will arrive in time. I ordered ours April 14 and we don't have it yet. The CM told me 6 to 8 weeks! We are not going until Dec, but like you, I would prefer the card not the letter. Also, they don't email letters anymore. The CM told me they were having "problems" with that and will no longer do it. They will fax your letter the the IG in Epcot and you can pick it up there. Also, because of how long it takes to get the card, she said it will "probably" be dated to expire May 2006, even though I ordered it in April.
I would make Advanced Reservations for any restaurants you really want to do and any sit down meals you might want. In the last week we have heard from three families that it is IMPOSSIBLE to walk into a sit restaurant with out a PS. Also, it is almost impossible to call that morning and get a PS for dinner anywhere sit-down. The ONLY restaurant our friends got this way was 1 night they got a 9:00 PS at Yachtsman steakhouse. They tried every morning. The husband is one of those "doesn't like to be tied to a plan" kind of guys and laughs at us for making our PS at 90 days. All the families said that CM's were telling them that it is because of the MYW dining plan. Apparently many, many people are booking that package.
Have a great trip! :sunny: :sunny:

dianeschlicht said:
The key to taking a large group of neophytes is planning.

I agree completely. We have made several trips with large groups...the one additional thing I would recommend (as I learned from our last trip with 10) is to take into account those people who enjoy sleeping in and those who enjoy early mornings in the parks or other activities. The next trip we make with such a big group we will "meet up" later in the day rather than waiting on the late sleepers or rushing them into a busy day. Just food for thought :flower:

NMW said:
I don't think the DDE card will arrive in time. I ordered ours April 14 and we don't have it yet. The CM told me 6 to 8 weeks! We are not going until Dec, but like you, I would prefer the card not the letter. Also, they don't email letters anymore. The CM told me they were having "problems" with that and will no longer do it. They will fax your letter the the IG in Epcot and you can pick it up there. Also, because of how long it takes to get the card, she said it will "probably" be dated to expire May 2006, even though I ordered it in April.

I ordered my card in late January, used the e-mail for my early March trip, got the card shortly after, used the card for my trip last week. I used the e-mail with no problem in March, really not much difference than using the card last week. I would not lose use time on your card just because you want the actual card rather than the letter. If you order on 7/1 and your trip is 8/6, they will have time to mail you the letter rather than having to go to Epcot for it. You only have to go to Epcot if there is not enough time to mail the temporary letter.

NMW said:
I would make Advanced Reservations for any restaurants you really want to do and any sit down meals you might want. In the last week we have heard from three families that it is IMPOSSIBLE to walk into a sit restaurant with out a PS. Also, it is almost impossible to call that morning and get a PS for dinner anywhere sit-down. The ONLY restaurant our friends got this way was 1 night they got a 9:00 PS at Yachtsman steakhouse. They tried every morning. The husband is one of those "doesn't like to be tied to a plan" kind of guys and laughs at us for making our PS at 90 days. All the families said that CM's were telling them that it is because of the MYW dining plan. Apparently many, many people are booking that package.
Have a great trip! :sunny: :sunny:
I was wondering if the dining plans would change the popularity of the restaurants. It sounds like it will. Like your friend, I also dislike planning dinner reservations (and hence what park to visit) far in advance... but I do not laugh at people for doing so. I used to do that a long time ago, and over time, just lost interest in advance planning for meals. I think that I will take your advice and make an itinerary and start booking meals. I think it will be especially important since we will often have 6-8 people

/Jim

DebbieB said:
I ordered my card in late January, used the e-mail for my early March trip, got the card shortly after, used the card for my trip last week. I used the e-mail with no problem in March, really not much difference than using the card last week. I would not lose use time on your card just because you want the actual card rather than the letter. If you order on 7/1 and your trip is 8/6, they will have time to mail you the letter rather than having to go to Epcot for it. You only have to go to Epcot if there is not enough time to mail the temporary letter.
DebbieB (and others),

Thanks for the advice. Do you agree with my plan to wait until 7/1 to order the card since we will want to take a 2nd major trip next July?

I agree that it will be OK to have the letter... but it would just be more convenient to have a card. It would be nice if you could order in advance... with specified Start/End dates to make the planning of this better. I would like them to match the dates of our AP's as closely as possible.

/Jim

DDE cards have been taking around 8 weeks or so to arrive after ordering. Mine took longer, actually. Like anything this is subject to change, however.

FLYNZ4 said:
DebbieB (and others),

Thanks for the advice. Do you agree with my plan to wait until 7/1 to order the card since we will want to take a 2nd major trip next July?

I agree that it will be OK to have the letter... but it would just be more convenient to have a card. It would be nice if you could order in advance... with specified Start/End dates to make the planning of this better. I would like them to match the dates of our AP's as closely as possible.

/Jim

Sounds like a good plan to me. It would be nicer to have the card, but not worth $50 you will have to pay to renew next year (if not more) if you get the card earlier and it expires before next year's trip.

I agree with the plan to buy the card on 7/1 ish and have it expire 7/31 of next year. Might as well take full advantage of any discounts you can get out of it!

As for the PS's, I would make the ones that you and the other regulars absolutely can not live without. Then, as you get closer start making others if you feel it is necessary.

FLYNZ4 said:
Jim,

re: DDE card
FWIW ... I ordered our DDE card in earliest January for a 1/29/05 trip. Using the emailed "letter" during our stay presented no problems. The card finally arrived in early April showing an expiration of 3/31/06. (It appears the card runs one full year from when it was mailed?)

re: Adv Reservations
Here is one more vote in favor of the advance reservations. ;) BTW, I'd recommend the Fantasmic! Dinner+Show Seating package at MGM. While the reserved seats weren't the best seats -- my group last year was quite happy with the restaurant choice (Brown Derby) and amused by the whole "special seating" process.

DDE information: I ordered my DDE card on Friday, May 13th. I was told it would take 4 -8 weeks to receive the actual card, but would receive a letter that could be used in place of the card in 2 weeks. I received the letter and list of restaurants accepting DDE today - May 17th. I was not told to go to Epcot - it just came in the mail.

bwvBound said:
Jim,

re: DDE card
FWIW ... I ordered our DDE card in earliest January for a 1/29/05 trip. Using the emailed "letter" during our stay presented no problems. The card finally arrived in early April showing an expiration of 3/31/06. (It appears the card runs one full year from when it was mailed?)

re: Adv Reservations
Here is one more vote in favor of the advance reservations. ;) BTW, I'd recommend the Fantasmic! Dinner+Show Seating package at MGM. While the reserved seats weren't the best seats -- my group last year was quite happy with the restaurant choice (Brown Derby) and amused by the whole "special seating" process.
bwvBound,

We also did the Brown Derby Fantasmic Pkg in December during our last trip... based on your recommendation. It was fine for Debbie and I, but I would not really want to pay the premium for a large group.

I still haven't made any dinner reservations... but I will do that soon.

/Jim

FLYNZ4 said:
We are going to WDW Aug 6th for 13 nights. ...(snip).............3) Any other shows that are a "must see" to get advanced reservations? We usually just make our reservations for the various restaurants a day or two in advance, without too much trouble... but we will have a big party this time. (6-8 depending on the week).

Any other suggestions for me? Our group size will be much larger than normal... and 3 of the people have never seen WDW.

Thanks in advance.

/Jim

Jim - Have you and your guests already seen La Nouba - the Cirque du Soleil show in DD's West Side? If not, consider working it in. If you have, wouldn't you like to see it again? :teeth: I'm sure you and all your guests will really enjoy it. Here is some info from the May Mickey Monitor regarding discounts for the show:

On a Cirque du Soleil Experience

The Deal: The performances? Awe-inspiring. The music? Amazing. The savings? Yours. As a Passholder, you can enjoy the Walt
Disney World® Resort-exclusive Cirque du Soleil® show, La NoubaTM at 25% off* the regular price of Category 2 admission. This offer is good for performances from May 1 through September 30, 2005 (there are no shows on Sundays and Mondays, nor 6/5–20, 8/14–17 and 8/28–30, 2005). And you can bring up to three Guests along to enjoy the savings as well! Tickets may be purchased up to 30 days in advance, so call 407-939-7604 today.

The Ins & Outs: *Discount is not valid on previously purchased
tickets, gift certificates or with any other offer. Passholder must
present valid Passholder I.D. at box office to purchase/pick up
tickets. Please arrive a minimum of one hour prior to show time.
Advance reservations required. Availability is limited.

Best wishes -

Carol

Carol,

This sounds like a great suggestion. Debbie and I have seen Cirque du Soleil shows in LV... both Mystere and O. I think the WDW shows are cheaper, and discounted as AP holders. Thanks for the tip :)

/Jim

If you get the annual pass now so you can use the # to order the DDE, does that mean the time is ticking off your AP? Or does the year start when you first use it?

SyrCinderella said:
If you get the annual pass now so you can use the # to order the DDE, does that mean the time is ticking off your AP? Or does the year start when you first use it?

No, they are separate. The DDE clock will start ticking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter