Adults ordering from the kids menu

midnight star

DIS Veteran
Sorry for all of the food related questions lately. This is what happens when you are the designated Disney planner out of your friend group lol.

Anyway, for adults wanting to order from the kids menu at Table service restaurants, how much extra do they charge? Or can you only order from the adult menus? Tried searching but didn’t find a clear answer.

They usually double the portion and double the price. Although my mom was able to order off the kids menu at Lamplight with the kid portion/price (she eats like a bird). Not sure if that’s normal or if the server was being nice that day.

Double/Double is the general rule and they don't include the drink.

Interesting. I have not found that to be the case. I really only order off the kids menu at two places (Rancho Del Zocalo and Golden Horseshoe) and they'ver never increased my portion size or charged double.
They've also always included a drink, even if its a juicebox.

I suspect there's a difference between ordering off the kids menu at a counter service place and a sit down restaurant. CS doesn't know if you have kids (or probablby care) and I know from experience they just give you a regular kids meal no matter if your standing at the counter with kids or not.

Interesting. I have not found that to be the case. I really only order off the kids menu at two places (Rancho Del Zocalo and Golden Horseshoe) and they'ver never increased my portion size or charged double.
These are both Counter Service. They have no clue WHO is eating the meal and just give it to you "as it." If you were to order at say Blue Bayou or Carnation Café, where a server takes your order it would/could/might be different.

At quick service places, adults can get the kids menu with no problems. But at table service places, adults get charged more if they order from the kids. Since they double the price, I think we will just order something from the adult menu then. Won't be much of a price difference depending on what we order.

Last month we ate at RT, CO, LLL, (and maybe one or two more table service restaurants.) I asked if I could order a kids meal at all of those places and they didn't hesitate when they said "sure". No extra food and no upcharge. -There were also no kids with us, so no mistaken that the meal was for an adult.

from what I recall most of the table service restaurant's servings are more presentation than large portions so I'm kind of in the middle with this one. unless it's a preference to what is on the kids menu.

I do wish that more restaurants would have senior options on the menu. I once had to make a trip with three more senior than me (mother and two aunts). each time we stopped to eat, I would end up with 2-1/2 meals, mine and half of each of theirs they didn't want to waste. later on I gave up and would just order a dinner or side salad since I knew there would be more than enough to eat.

My 12 year-old still orders off the kids menu at table service restaurants. She is small for her age but not small enough to be mistaken for a 9 year-old. I've also ordered off the children's menu at Trattoria twice. I wasn't very hungry due to a late lunch and asked the server if I could order pasta off the kid's menu. They didn't even mention an up-charge to me and there wasn't one on our bill. I suppose it just depends on the server you get at each restaurant and the situation. A table with 6 adults that all want to order off the kids menu - probably not going to fly. A table with 6 adults with 5 ordering off the regular menu and one wanting a kids meal might be okay.

My 18 year old daughter ordered off the kids menu at Blue Bayou with no issues. The portion of mac and cheese was large but I’m sorry I don’t remember if we were charged more or not. If we were it was worth it though cause it was definitely an adult sized portion.

Those are both counter/quick service locations. There is never a problem ordering a kids item there.

At table service, when my daughter orders off the kids' menu, the server will comment "It will be an adult portion." For me, it isn't an issue because it is what she will eat. (HF ASD, textures can be a big issue...)

My mom had stomach surgery and orders off the kids menu all the time at most sit downs and we've never been charged more. But she does only get the allotted portion.

Even for my kids (12 and 14) I find it varies wildly- both at DLR and WDW, at least for table service. As @Malcon10t said - quick service is never an issue. Seems to be dependent on the location and the server when it comes to table service. Some have zero problems but some will do the double double. At Tiffins and Be Our Guest they wouldn't let them order off the kids menu (then we've been in the Tiffins and the Nomad lounge other times and never had an issue with them ordering off the kids menu). Contrast with lunches or dinners at Club 33 and the server has been fine with them ordering off the kids menu. Same thing with the Carthay lounge and a host of other restaurants.

My kids don't eat that much and are somewhat picky so limiting to anyone over 10 to only the adult menu is an irritation I have. Thankfully I would same more then half of the time the server is okay with it.

Even for my kids (12 and 14) I find it varies wildly- both at DLR and WDW, at least for table service. As @Malcon10t said - quick service is never an issue. Seems to be dependent on the location and the server when it comes to table service. Some have zero problems but some will do the double double. At Tiffins and Be Our Guest they wouldn't let them order off the kids menu (then we've been in the Tiffins and the Nomad lounge other times and never had an issue with them ordering off the kids menu). Contrast with lunches or dinners at Club 33 and the server has been fine with them ordering off the kids menu. Same thing with the Carthay lounge and a host of other restaurants.

My kids don't eat that much and are somewhat picky so limiting to anyone over 10 to only the adult menu is an irritation I have. Thankfully I would same more then half of the time the server is okay with it.
I’m a little picky. That’s why I over analyze food menus lol. Have to make sure I’ll be able to eat things. I have a relatively small appetite, especially at the park when I’m walking around a lot. I waste soo much food. I had to start getting kid menus from quick service places. Also I’ll normally get an appetizer as a meal since those aren’t too big.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter