Adult to kid ratio are we crazy?

NJlauren

DIS Veteran
I already know I’m crazy but really is this not doable?

3 adults, 5 kids, ages 7,5,5,1,1.

Some park days will only be two adults with all 5 kids. I know only the 7 year old can ride alone, is this totally insane? I have told my husband since the other husband isn’t going he can have a few golf days or days to do other stuff, maybe a bad idea....

Should we force husband #2 to come so we have 4 adults? He likes Disney and goes he just is refusing to go in August, we may be able to change his mind.

In August, I think I would do a New Jersey Shore trip instead or a Pocono's trip. Disney is doable but it will be hot!

OK I lost hope when you mentioned August. The 7 year old can ride alone but I personally won’t let my 7 years old child do the line alone, so that leaves 1 adult in charge of 4 children at a very hot and humid park.

We wouldn’t let her do the line alone, I think for any days it’s two adults we would all wait together (no height restriction rides unless the 5 year olds can go too). Then save the other rides for when there are 3 adults.

In August, I think I would do a New Jersey Shore trip instead or a Pocono's trip. Disney is doable but it will be hot!

If we want to take an extended trip this is the only time of year that’s an option due to school and work (one of us is a teacher)

I think it’s doable. You will have to set realistic expectations and make sure the kids understand them. There really are not a ton of rides where the under 7 rule would be a huge deal. The fives can likely ride the 40 inch rides. Two adults take the older three to ride the bigger stuff, one 5 per adult with the 7 in a seat right in front of them if necessary. Other adult has the babies in a double stroller and can walk around and make find a cool place to hang. When there are two adults, just ride stuff everyone can go on. Two double strollers would make it lots easier.

e wouldn’t let her do the line alone, I think for any days it’s two adults we would all wait together (no height restriction rides unless the 5 year olds can go too). Then save the other rides for when there are 3 adults.
That sounds like a plan, It would be fine then. Double strollers, stroller fans and you definitely can do it. Have a great trip!

We have five children so, yes it is totally doable. It is a lot of work at those ages, but we survived it and lived to tell the tale. Now that ours are past toddlerhood and the youngest are preschoolers it isn't so overwhelming.

I've gone down with 4, and will be with 5 this trip in May. Ages 9, 7, 5, 2 & 1. We haven't had any issues, however I would recommend trying to encourage all 3 adults to come each day.

I would never go in August though. I do not handle heat well. Frankly, I'm a little terrified about our early May trip.

With at least two adults, you should be fine. I used to take my kids to our local zoo alone starting when they were 1, 1, 3, 6 and 8, I survived.

It is a lot of work, but doable. I have 5 kids very close in age and my husband and I have gone 3 years in a row with them- in summer! This past summer oldest was 8 and youngest 1. The year before 7, 5 (turned 6 while we were there), 4, 2, 9 months. First year oldest 6 and pregnant with baby # 5. We each pushed a double stroller, packed lots of snacks, drinks and sunblock. We utilized rider switch and took breaks when we needed it. We expected kid tantrums, and adult tantrums. We had some stressful moments but many more amazing moments. It's so worth it! We were able to do very long days in the park or even leave and come back. We made the most of our time there.

Overall, Disney is designed for families- they make it as painless as possible. We went to a local amusement park a few years ago when I was pregnant with #5. This was after our first trip to Disney. My husband had to ride the flying whales (same ride as Aladdin's Carpets) 3 times in a row. They wouldn't let me ride pregnant. I had to wait with baby #4 while he rode with each of my older girls separately. It was a pretty small ride. But since my girls were not tall enough to ride alone (you had to be 48"), he couldn't stick the two older ones in one cart and ride with the younger. I asked the ride attendant if I could ride with my baby on my lap and sit with one kid, while he sat with the other two. Absolutely no pregnant people allowed on the ride. It took almost 20 minutes to get through all three rides, and my 18 month old knew she was missing out on something fun. She was sitting in the stroller crying that he couldn't manage a 4th ride with her (he was ready to lose his lunch after 3 rides). This happened a couple more times, but this would never happen in Disney. They really cater to young families (and I am sure their insurance policy is a lot bigger than the local theme park we were at lol).

My last piece of advice is to avoid table service. We have done just a couple of ADR with the kids and it was always a disaster- and our kids are generally well-behaved. It's just hard with that many small kids. Pack meals in a cooler or do quick service.

Have fun! I bet the last adult will cave and end up going with you guys. :)

It really depends on the personalities of the children involved (which you may not even know yet, for sure--things change!). If you have more sedate stroller-riders--you should be fine. If you've got one that's a runner, well, that could be a problem. A couple suggestions:

-bring snacks. Lots of snacks. No, more snacks than that.
-lower your expectations. You won't be able to see and do everything, not even everything that's do-able for little kids. Know this going into it.
-plan on frequent potty breaks. Start instituting an "everybody tries" rule well before the trip. Nothing's worse than a potty stop, 5 minutes after a potty stop.
-if you don't typically use a stroller, practice with one before you go. I have 4 kids, and not one of them slept in a stroller. Ever. I hope you have better luck than I did.
-if you really want to do a TS meal, buffets are your best bet. Crystal Palace is my top pick, but they're all pretty decent. Right in MK, festive atmosphere, kid-friendly food.
-plan on down time, just enjoying the resort and pool. Some kids have difficulties with the stimulation of the parks.

I wish you luck! I think if you go in prepared, and have the right attitude, you can make some fabulous memories.

It is a lot of work, but doable. I have 5 kids very close in age and my husband and I have gone 3 years in a row with them- in summer! This past summer oldest was 8 and youngest 1. The year before 7, 5 (turned 6 while we were there), 4, 2, 9 months. First year oldest 6 and pregnant with baby # 5. We each pushed a double stroller, packed lots of snacks, drinks and sunblock. We utilized rider switch and took breaks when we needed it. We expected kid tantrums, and adult tantrums. We had some stressful moments but many more amazing moments. It's so worth it! We were able to do very long days in the park or even leave and come back. We made the most of our time there.

Overall, Disney is designed for families- they make it as painless as possible. We went to a local amusement park a few years ago when I was pregnant with #5. This was after our first trip to Disney. My husband had to ride the flying whales (same ride as Aladdin's Carpets) 3 times in a row. They wouldn't let me ride pregnant. I had to wait with baby #4 while he rode with each of my older girls separately. It was a pretty small ride. But since my girls were not tall enough to ride alone (you had to be 48"), he couldn't stick the two older ones in one cart and ride with the younger. I asked the ride attendant if I could ride with my baby on my lap and sit with one kid, while he sat with the other two. Absolutely no pregnant people allowed on the ride. It took almost 20 minutes to get through all three rides, and my 18 month old knew she was missing out on something fun. She was sitting in the stroller crying that he couldn't manage a 4th ride with her (he was ready to lose his lunch after 3 rides). This happened a couple more times, but this would never happen in Disney. They really cater to young families (and I am sure their insurance policy is a lot bigger than the local theme park we were at lol).

My last piece of advice is to avoid table service. We have done just a couple of ADR with the kids and it was always a disaster- and our kids are generally well-behaved. It's just hard with that many small kids. Pack meals in a cooler or do quick service.

Have fun! I bet the last adult will cave and end up going with you guys. :)

Thank you! Ugh I have realized that too smaller parks have different rules for the same or similar rides as Disney! Drives me a bit nuts!

I hope he caves too!

I think you can do it!

"Big" rides, on days with 3 adults - one takes a 5, one takes a 5+7, one watches babies (or do a rider swap if all adults like that ride).
"Everyone" rides can be done with 2 - Each adults takes a 5 and a 1, the 7yo is allowed to sit by herself.
And lots of the fun isn't rides at all - shows, performers, etc. - so those things won't be as complicated.

I'm torn on this, because that long break in the AC always tended to refresh us, but I can see it backfiring with more kids.

I definitely second "everybody tries" restroom stops and lots of pool time!

I already know I’m crazy but really is this not doable?

3 adults, 5 kids, ages 7,5,5,1,1.

Some park days will only be two adults with all 5 kids. I know only the 7 year old can ride alone, is this totally insane? I have told my husband since the other husband isn’t going he can have a few golf days or days to do other stuff, maybe a bad idea....

Should we force husband #2 to come so we have 4 adults? He likes Disney and goes he just is refusing to go in August, we may be able to change his mind.
You might be able to survive, but for the sake of others you will need to be flexible and willing to change plans and go back to the resort for a rest or meal or swim if kids behavior becomes problematic. Tired, upset, and crying children impact more than just their own family's time in parks.

I do 4 kids and myself frequently because husband usually has to leave before me for work. We also go to 6 Flags several times in the summer with this ratio. Its all about what you are comfortable with. I don't find it hard...but its my norm!

I do recommend the Cosmic Cafe in Fantasyland/Tomorrowland for when you are at MK. We have never had problems finding enough seating (even on a busy day), and it's generally quick service. You can sit as long as you need to, so can still cool off. Send the 7 year old to help one adult with the food tray. My oldest was very helpful to my husband while I sat with the little kids. The food is perfect for little kids, too and the fries are good!

If you do table service at MK, we liked Tony's. It was fine for the kids and we didn't feel stressed there. Only downside was we waited an hour for our table. That was a real bummer. Not only were the kids hungry and cranky, but we missed an hour in the park we could have spent doing other things. Time is money when you are at Disney and that was a huge disappointment. It was mid-May when that happened, so technically not a "peak season" time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!