Adult dining plan for child

Disneymom2235

Earning My Ears
My daughter will have just turned 10 when we go so she is now considered an adult for dining purposes. I looked at the menus of where we plan on eating and aside from the buffets she won’t eat the majority of the options for sit downs. Does anyone know if she can still order off the kids menu or does she have to pick an adult entree?

When you are seated, just request a kid's menu. If you are on the dining plan, you might want to ask for an "adult" portion. Or another option is to pay out of pocket (if on dining plan) and use her credits for signature (2 credit) meals. Dining plan she is considered an adult and you will pay adult prices for the plan. If not on plan, you will pay adult prices for any character dining, all you care to eat\buffet or family style.

When my kids turned 10 and didn't yet eat adult food/portions, we paid for their food out of pocket and used their credits on other meals. It really makes a dining plan go a long way! Option 2 - have them eat a quick service meal before you go to the restaurant and have them just order a drink and hang out with you as you dine. Saves on top this way too!

When we went last time, our then 12 year old was a very picky eater. When we went to a restaurant he couldn't find something on the adult menu at, they gave him an adult sized portion of something off of the kids menu. He has since found his tastebuds :) so we aren't having that problem this trip! However, I think that most restaurants would allow the kids menu to be chosen from, if you are okay with using the table service credit on that.

So it kind of depends what dining plan you're on.

If it's the Deluxe dining plan, then it doesn't matter, because all dining credits are pooled and they are not separated by adult/child.

If it's the regular Dining plan, then it does matter. The dining plan corresponds with your ticket - so disney adult ticket = disney adult dining plan. The reason most of the non-buffet sit down restaurants have to restrict ordering to the menu that matches their "category" has to do with the way they are reimbursed. Not every menu item is covered by the dining plan for the same reason.

This is exactly the reason why we did NOT get the dining plan for our trip when DS1 was 10. We paid OOP, and he was able to order the food he really wanted. And honestly we ended up spending a lot less than the dining plan would have cost us, so between that and my kiddo being content with his meals, it was worth it to pay OOP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter