"Adult Beverages"

PhillyPooh

Mouseketeer
We will be staying at the WL in August. We won't have our own car. Is there anywhere close by that we can purchase liquor to consume in our room? We will be trying FL Tours this time. Is there a grocery store stop that has a liquor store close by or do they sell it in the grocery stores? Here in PA we are still stuck getting ripped off buying in the "State Stores".

Beer and wine are sold in many grocery stores. These are all I've ever purchased when visiting WDW, so I don't know about liquor store locations near any of the grocery stops, but I'm sure someone will chime in on this.

Ralph

While you pay more you can buy both wine and liquor in the Disney Gift Shops. We had a bottle of Baileys (mixed it with
hot chocolate) and some whiskey (Jack Daneils?) that we mixed
with Coke/Diet Coke. We purchased both of these in the WL
gift shop.

The shop in the Contemporary had a larger selection including wines.

Yes, I was wondering this also. We also booked FL tours and requested a stop. We just want to pick up a couple of bottles of wine or something. I noted this on my ressie with Fl tours.....they should know where to stop ...right? Phillypooh I feel your pain ....I'm also from Pa.

We have purchased beer wine and liquor in the hotel's shops. They are a bit more expensive, but really not so much that I wanted to drive ten miles to save maybe 5-10 bucks. (remember, the stores closest to DW will be expensive too) If I was already at the grocery store, maybe stopping on the way in from the airport, but wouldn't make a special trip just for that. I think that might depend on what hotel you are at though too. Some DW hotels are closer to those stores than others. Oh, and if you are particular about your liquor you might want to pick some up beforehand. Dh is a beer snob, but was OK with the selection at the Poly, and I would have preferred Tanqueray gin, but made do with uh, something else I have blocked from my mind, lol. Gee, I think I may have just convinced myself to make sure to stop on the way in from the airport so I can get the good stuff, lol! Oh, they had pretty good wines and champagnes though. (for example, White Star was available chilled, and other wines we had at Narcoosees)

Phillypooh,
This is a bit off topic, but since you live in Media, have you ever gone to Total Wine in Claymont, DE? They have an awesome selection of just about any wine or liquor and the prices are much lower than the state stores in PA. My hubby and I usually make the trip down there when we need something. The price and selection make it worthwhile. (You just have to be careful of the DE State Troopers who sometimes watch the out of state cars going to the liquor stores!)

We only buy in PA if it's an "emergency". My parents live in Newport, DE (near the Christiana Mall) so we usually stop on the way down to visit them. That way we don't have to worry about the "troopers" who hang out in the parking lot. By the way "Hi Neighbor", my sister just moved to Aston and my best friend lives in Aston.:wave2:

Most of the deluxe resorts have a good to decent selection of wine, liquor, and beer. Fantasia Gifts at the Contemporary has the best, though. If you're in a monorail hotel, it's worth a stop.

sotoalf, they have more/better than at the other monorail hotels? It would be worth a monorail ride to pick up some Tanqueray, LOL! (Actually we would probably just pick it up on a first day there Chef Mickey's trip)
Will the troopers stop you if they think you are going to take the liquor over the state line or something? I have lived near borders of states all my life and run back and forth for liquor (or lottery tix, cigarettes back when I smoked, whatever) even gas is often cheaper across the border, lol. I have never heard of there being a problem with taking it across. Bummer. :cool:

Chamonix: You've stumped me. That situation has never occurred to me. If it's a closed container, it shouldn't be a problem. But if you're as serious a drinker as you seem, then maybe you guys won't have a problem leaving Disney with less than a half-empty bottle . :p

sotoalf wrote
if you're as serious a drinker as you seem

OK, thanks to that, I am on the wagon now, LOL!!
No, seriously, I don't drink every day or anything like that; in fact, I like the taste of alcohol so little that I prefer a certain one--I am partial to the kind of gin I "like"...and that is Tanqueray. I can't stand the taste of beer. It tastes horrible! I've never drank a beer in my life. Vacation is a good time to indulge though, no driving, etc. We probably drink more at DW than any other time, actually. And yes, we do like to discover new wines or champagnes when we eat out in the nicer restaurants at WDW.
If that makes me a "serious drinker," :wave2:

We take Tiffany Towncar and always stop at grocery store to pickup wine and beer (in addition to juice boxes). Can't recall the name, but last year there was a liquor store right next to the grocery store they took us to. The towncar service should be able to get you to the right location.

We did live in Pa for four years and could never make sense of that system! Nice to be back in NY, but have to give credit to Florida as nothng beats being able to buy wine when grocery shopping!

There's an ABC Liquors in front of the Winn Dixie, about 3 minutes down 535/Apopka-Vineland from the 535 entrance to WDW. It's pretty decently priced and has a good selection.

There're also, as many have said, a couple of Walgreens -- I like the one on the non-Disney side of I-4 (also on S.R. 535), by Vista Way (WDW College Program housing). (Cherished CP memories.. ;))

Your best bet would probably be the Winn Dixie/ABC, but I think that the Publix on Vineland Rd. (Past the outlet mall and the Dolly Parton thing) has a liquor store in that same shopping center.

Hi PhillyPooh! We just used FL Tours in March and asked them to do a grocery stop for us. They stopped at Publix, and we were able to purchase a 12-pack of beer and a bottle of wine right at the grocery store. We brought it to our room at the Portofino w/o any problem. I'm not sure if you are going to Disney instead of Universal if they stop at a different grocery store, but I'm assuming that many of the grocery stores down in Florida are the same way (as in they sell alcohol).

I often miss my college days (in Connecticut) where we could just buy beer in grocery stores. I live on the NJ/PA border and you have to make a special stop just to buy beer or wine. Kind of a pain!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter