Adult ADHD/ADD Brain Mapping?

Discussion in 'Coping and Compassion' started by jerseygal, Mar 14, 2019 at 6:14 AM.

1. jerseygal

jerseygal DIS Veteran

Adult son, who we always considered to be very high functioning, no known issues, was an excellent student, played hs/college sports, extremely well liked by his peers, very personable, did very well in school, and has functioned as a successful professional over the last 8 1/2 years post college. He hit a "bump" in the road recently. He was in a very high stress position, working 60 hours a week, and began having retention issues, ability to focus, anxiety. He has done "self evaluation" over the last several months and thinks that there may be a possible ADHD/ADD issue. His wife and both DH and I feel that the position has largely contributed to this situation, ie situational, but nonetheless extremely concerned and worried for him. He took the first step to see a psychiatrist, who will be doing a Brain MRI to ensure that there are no medical issues with the brain(his grandpa passed away from Brain Cancer) and brain mapping to get a better "picture" of what is going on.
    My question is has anyone with adult ADHD(diagnosed as an adult)done brain mapping? I did brief research and also read about neurofeedback which has success for some. Taking one step at a time,trying to get some additional information. No matter the age, as a parent, when your child is not herself/himself going through an issue, you as a parent hurt for them.:sad1: Thanks in advance for any information!:goodvibes

2. Christine

Christine Would love to be able to sit on

I can't answer your question at all, but it's an interesting situation.

Both my kids were diagnosed with ADHD as children. They each have "levels" of stress and activity that they can tolerate before it bothers them, especially as adults.

I know things are constantly evolving in this area, but I would say that if your son made it through all his schooling, was excellent and did everything you described with no issues, he does not have ADHD. But...one of the things my son's neurophych doctor said that stuck with me was that "everyone has a limit." One reason we see more kids diagnosed today is because we put more on them. Forty or fifty years ago you didn't see kids carting a rolling suitcase/backpack home with homework books in it. They went outside and PLAYED. Kids today have less playtime and more work, so more kids are "hitting that threshhold" where they would not have before.

To me, it seems, your son as an adult has hit that threshhold with this current job and the schedule. Maybe he sees others at the office managing and he can't and now something must be wrong. Maybe nothing is wrong and he's reached his limit and it's not ideal for him.

Given his lack of ADHD history and wonderful performance, I seriously doubt this is the issue but I get that he's looking for answers. Sorry, probably not the info you were looking for.

jerseygal likes this.
  3. jerseygal

jerseygal DIS Veteran

Christine, Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. I am hoping that this is situational and this job is a mismatch. We will see once the brain mapping is done.