Ads about Gun Control do not belong on this site

donsullivan

Mouseketeer
I came across this this afternoon and I believe this does not belong on this site at any time. If the majority feel otherwise, that is indeed your choice but it will drive me off the site completely if this is a new norm. This isn't about whether you believe there should be more (as I do) or not, this topic does not belong in advertising on a site like this

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 6.22.56 PM.png

Last edited:
Ads are run by google and are based on your own personal search history. That ad is not coming up for me, so I am not worried about it myself.

You can click that "x" in the top right corner of the ad and tell google to stop showing it to you...

Ads are run by google and are based on your own personal search history. That ad is not coming up for me, so I am not worried about it myself.

You can click that "x" in the top right corner of the ad and tell google to stop showing it to you...

The website owner absolutely can control these things if they choose to. This isn't my issue, its the website since I do not see these on any other website

The website owner absolutely can control these things if they choose to. This isn't my issue, its the website since I do not see these on any other website

Try visiting the site using an incognito browser. The ad will be gone. It is coming up for you based on your own viewing history only, not the political leanings of a Disney based discussion board.
If it offends you so much, consider getting an adblocker, or, as you said, stop visiting the site.

I haven't searched anything about guns, and I'm getting ads to promote guns on my DIS ads in the middle of reading unrelated threads. I don't think ads about guns - for or against - belong on the Disney forum. If we can't discuss it, then I don't think there should be sponsored ads for it. Can you please do something about this? Thank you.

Google Ads are based on your browsing history AND your location.

Some ads you see for business on Disboards are called remarketing. The business has selected the option to show you their ad after you leave their website and go to a website which has Google ads.

The other ads you see are location based ads. The business has told Google to show these ads to people for example in Florida who visit a site which has Google ads.

There are ways for website owners to control which category of ads are shown on their website BUT if ads are not categorised probably or a category which previously had no objectionable ads suddenly does, then it's not the website owners fault.

I have an adblocker on my computer but not my phone. The one ad on Disboards on my phone that I can never make sense of is the all male cruise one. I do searches for cruises, so that part makes complete sense, but I am wondering what it is that I looked at to trigger the men seeking men part of the ad... It's not enough to get me upset, though. I just click the x and note that the ad does not interest me. It only comes back about once a month that way.

It has nothing to do with the DIS admin... that's just how Google Ads work... the webmasters/mistresses have no control over the content of ads ;)

It has nothing to do with the DIS admin... that's just how Google Ads work... the webmasters/mistresses have no control over the content of ads ;)

Not a true statement but I've expressed my concern on the topic and the owners of the site will make their choice (and it is their choice to make). Per the below on the Google ad pages, the admin of the advertising account can absolutely prevent certain categories of ads from being presented on their site.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/180609?hl=en

Not a true statement but I've expressed my concern on the topic and the owners of the site will make their choice (and it is their choice to make). Per the below on the Google ad pages, the admin of the advertising account can absolutely prevent certain categories of ads from being presented on their site.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/180609?hl=en
You realize there have been several gun control discussions about gun control on the community page of this site in the wake of the tragedy in Parkland. That's likely how the ads were generated.

"I'm going to leave if you don't take down the ads I don't like." What benefit to the owners of the site is taking down the ads? You're using a FREE service to discuss Disney planning. What right do you think you have to demand the owners remove generated ads that offend you?

I've had some crazy ads pop up on this site and I'm the one and only that uses my computer. Who knows, I don't pay them any mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter