ADR's for first night

PrincessTracie

Earning My Ears
We arrive on August 13th at around 5:30 pm.. should I even attempt to make an ADR for that night or would we just get QS somewhere? What time do you think we would arrive at our hotel (POP) from MCO via DME? Its my first time using DME so I don't know how long that takes. Looking for opinions and suggestions! :) Thanks!!!!

Depends on what else you have planned for your first night. I don’t like to feel rushed unless I have something specific I want to get to. I’d aim for 7:30 or so. That should give you enough time to get to the resort, check in, unpack, and make your way to the restaurant.

Depends on what else you have planned for your first night. I don’t like to feel rushed unless I have something specific I want to get to. I’d aim for 7:30 or so. That should give you enough time to get to the resort, check in, unpack, and make your way to the restaurant.

We had nothing planned for the first night since we are getting to Orlando at 5:30. So basically relaxing after a long flight before heading to bed, which will be hard to do as we live in a 3 hour time zone difference. (PST)

We had nothing planned for the first night since we are getting to Orlando at 5:30. So basically relaxing after a long flight before heading to bed, which will be hard to do as we live in a 3 hour time zone difference. (PST)
Then definitely take the opportunity to not be in a rush. The rest of your Disney trip will be filled with plenty of rushing.

We arrive on August 13th at around 5:30 pm.. should I even attempt to make an ADR for that night or would we just get QS somewhere? What time do you think we would arrive at our hotel (POP) from MCO via DME? Its my first time using DME so I don't know how long that takes. Looking for opinions and suggestions! :) Thanks!!!!
The average DME time to Resort is 90 minutes. But you arrive at Rush Hour.
Then you need to check in and get to your room. If you want your Luggage with you you will need to go to baggage claim. I would add 30 minutes to the above time. Then if you need to take Transportation from POP to your dinner ADR you need to add about 20 miles to wait to board and then travel time.
We never book an ADR on arrival day sooner than 5 hours after scheduled arrival.

Figure on getting to your resort around 7 with DME. Normally would say just explore your resort(if you haven't stayed before), and since you are at Pop, you can walk over the bridge to check out AoA , which is very well themed, especially Cars section IMHO, if you haven't seen it . Their food court is also better if you were grabbing QS.

However, since you are on PST and will likely not go to bed early, you could make a late dinner ADR, like 8 on to give you time to travel there after check-in, and probably more your usual dinner time anyway! (You can also Uber if time is tighter rather than waiting for bus) You could eat somewhere either TS or QS on the monorail route to get in the mood seeing MK and the castle, and possibly catching sights of fireworks afterwards. Could also eat at Boardwalk area and catch some entertainment there or see part of Illuminations from International Gateway area. Or since you are close to AK, so could head there and hop bus to eat at AKL, and check out animals on the Savannah and the resort if you haven't seen it - very impressive! And of course there is always DS to eat and start your souvenir shopping!

Just a note on checked luggage - it is supposed to take 3- 4 hours from when you get to resort to arrive if you let DME pick it up, so if you want to have it before 10-11 pm, you will want to go grab it yourself to bring on the bus(and then don't use yellow tags).

We land at 5:10pm a few days before you. I'm not making an ADR. We've had long trips on DME (2.5 hours from landing once). Another trip we arrived near 5pm and the kids were tired and a bit cranky. It would have been easier to get QS at our resort than go to the ADR in our resort (POR/Boatwright's). I can't imagine if we had to get on a bus to get to our dinner.

If we're up for it this time, I'll see if I can find an ADR at Boatwright's or in Disney Springs once we are on DME. By then we should have a better idea or our arrival time and what we are up for. If we aren't up for a restaurant, we'll just hit QS in the resort.

I'll see if I can find an ADR at Boatwright's or in Disney Springs once we are on DME. By then we should have a better idea or our arrival time and what we are up for. If we aren't up for a restaurant, we'll just hit QS in the resort.

That sounds like a good plan! Then I won't have to worry about missing the ADR time and being charged! Thanks for the great idea!

Also keep in mind that IF (BIG IF) the gondolas are operating by then, you’ll have the option of riding to CBR to eat at their TS or QS. So lots of options just around and very easy to get to from Pop.

If you are worried about timing I'd suggest just waiting until you land and then using the app to see what reservations are open later in the evening and what you may feel like. We snag last minute reservations all the time and you'll find a lot of options. Alternatively book one of the restaurants available via Open Table and if you don't feel like doing it or if you are running late, you can cancel with no penalty.

I wouldn’t plan an ADR vía the Disney site. If your flight is delayed and you miss it you will get charged. I would plan to eat QS at the resort or if you get there on time, you can take an Uber to Disney Springs and eat. Some restaurants use OpenTable so you can always snag something on opentable and cancel without penalty.

I would play it by ear considering your long travel day and all the "what if's" that could occur. Once you are there and figure out what you are up for, you can make plans (resort dining or if ambitious, hit Disney Springs).

There’s no right or wrong answer here. Do what sounds right for you.

If it were me and I were in your shoes, I’d make an ADR at Chef Mickey’s for around 8:30. My kids are still into character meals, and kicking off vacation by having dinner with Mickey and the gang would be how we would choose to roll.

My vote is totally wait till you're there then get on the app and choose an available ADR. Just for fun sometime get on the WDW website and look for same-day ADRs and you'll probably see a good variety of choices.

I also second @cassie58 - check out AOA and their food court (and I agree, the Cars section is great!).

I find travel days exhausting.

We don’t make any plans for arrival day. It’s a game time decision.

Sometimes we hit DS for a quick look around and some Disney ambience/dinner. Most of the time we unpack and grab dinner to eat in our room with a Disney movie and early to bed.

I’d leave it open and make the decision based on how everyone is feeling when you land.

I agree with others that say wait until you are there and decide. Your flight could be late, the weather could be bad, you could be exhausted. If you can't make dinner happen, you could always go to bed early and plan an early character breakfast to kick off your trip. I don't think you mentioned where you are staying, so there may be some good options with walk up availability on property after you get settled.

I agree with others that say wait until you are there and decide. Your flight could be late, the weather could be bad, you could be exhausted. If you can't make dinner happen, you could always go to bed early and plan an early character breakfast to kick off your trip. I don't think you mentioned where you are staying, so there may be some good options with walk up availability on property after you get settled.
OP stated they are staying at POP

Once you’re in route on magical express you can always check the app for reservations. I wouldn’t book anything ahead of time just in case the flight gets delayed, you don’t want that stress!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter