Adrenal Insufficiency

RCBA

Dreaming of Castaway Cay
Hi all! I’m excited to be heading to WDW tomorrow but a little anxious as I’m learning how to manage a recent diagnosis of secondary adrenal insufficiency (similar to Addison’s disease). Any thoughts from others who’ve walked this path already?

Charla,
I was diagnosed with Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency a couple of years ago after years of steroid use. My personal experience (I am not in the medical field) has been to make sure you stress dose for the travel the day before you travel, the day of, and the day after. While at WDW drink water or electrolyte enhanced drinks constantly. The heat right now will zap you and if you start to get dehydrated you could precipitate a problem. If you don't have a medical id bracelet yet be sure to carry a card in your wallet with information about your diagnosis and your meds. Take a/c breaks when you need to. In the Magic Kingdom I go to the Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, or a theatre on main street.
You can still have a marvelous time - just listen to your body and the signals it sends you. Every person with this handles travel and heat differently. Take breaks, enjoy a cool drink in the shade, and enjoy all of the people around you.
Have a magical time!
Joanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter