adhd

Momof5cubs

Mouseketeer
My 5 year old suffers from adhd as well as some other clinical diagsosis such as oppositional defiant disorder and reactive attachment disorder. These are not evident to the naked eye ( he just looks like a VERY bratty kid). Waiting in long lines will be virtually impossible for him. I am actually considering cancelling our trip because of it. Is this something I would get a pass for?

I honestly don't think they will issue a pass for adhd. It never hurts to go to guest services and ask though.

Welcome to disABILITIES! There are already several threads which cover similar questions which may be of assistance. Here is some basic information.

There is no such thing as a special PASS. At WDW (and now DL) there is a "Guest Assistance Card", usually referred to as a GAC on this forum. It is intended to allow people who have "invisible" disabilities to be treated as "normal". It appears this is what you are asking about.

At the first park you go to, you would have to go with the person to Guest Services. Having a name of disease/syndrome, or even a diagnosis, is not in itself sufficient. One thing it will normally not allow you to do is bypass lines. The GAC is good for the disabled individual and up to five members of the party, is good at all four parks, and valid through departure date.

Some of the things which mght be allowed in your situation would be to use a stroller as if it were a wheelchair (in lines), to wait out of the sun, or to have part of your group out of the line until just before the boarding area.

For many attractions they will suggest you use FastPass so you do not have long waits in line.

here's a little more info:
You can go to Guest Services in any of the parks and request a Guest Assistance Card (we call them GACs to avoid typing so much). In general, people who use wheelchairs or ecvs don't need and won't be given a GAC because just having the wheelchair/ecv alerts the CM that they need an accessible entrance. If that meets your needs, you don't need a GAC. But some people need a quieter place to wait, a place out of the sun, a place away from other people or to be able to bring a stroller into line and have it treated the same as a wheelchair. The GAC is a tool to alert CMs of that sort of invisible need. It is not meant to (and usually won't) shorten or eliminate your wait in line.
To request a GAC, go to Guest Services in any of the parks with the person with a disability and explain your needs. Just saying, "My child has ADHD" does not help much, because some people with that diagnosis will have minimal problems waiting in line and others will have lots of problems. You need to be able to explain what sorts of behaviors/problems you expect to encounter. The GACs have different messages stamped on them, depending on what the needs are. GACs issued in one park are good in all parks and are usually valid for your entire length of stay (You don't need to get a new one each day).GACs are usually issued for the person with a disability plus up to 5 members of their party - there may be times when you are asked to split into smaller groups because of attraction capacity in the special needs area for that ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter