ADHD Kids in the Oceaneers club and Medications

Dchachos

This is our family, we found it all on our own, it
Hello
I am new to this board and to cruising. I tried searching for an answer to my question but there are so many threads and posts out there. First of all I think it is fantastic that there are so many posts. It means that lots of people who have challenges are out there traveling and enjoying themselves :dance3:.

Let me tell you a little bit about my family then I will ask my questions. If you have a tip that you can think of please feel free to share it just because I didn't that question doesn't mean I won't need the tip. We will be on the Disney Wonder 12/18/11 cruise to the Mexican Riviera.pirate:

I am the mother of two wonderful boys ages 7 and 9. I adopted them 5 years ago and the only reason that is important is because the both have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. I often leave the adopted part out because to me we are a family the adopted part doesn't matter. One day I was telling a coworker that my boys bother were exposed to alcohol and drugs before they were born, and she gave me a look then after a pause said "well it's good you turned your life around". I just had to laugh. :rotfl2:

Because of the exposure they both have ADHD, ODD, RAD and another bunch of letters. They both are in general education classes and are very well behaved young men. However in new situations or when they are stressed they tend to act out. My 9 year old is developmentally and intellectually delayed so his behavior is closer to that of a 7 year old. They both take medication during the day. When they are at the kids clubs on the ship will the counselor give them their medication or do I go and give it to them? I am fine either way just making a plan. :scratchin

My oldest also has asthma at school he is not allowed to carry his inhaler, will he be allowed to on the ship?

I am a cancer patient and can walk but when I travel I use a mobility scooter. I can walk and stand but not for long period of time. I have stage iv cancer and have been going through some pretty aggressive treatments because my cancer is aggressive. One of the locations of my cancer is in my lower spine and my hip, which makes my lower body strength pretty week. By December I may be stronger who knows. I am pretty lucky because 6 months ago I could not get up off the floor without help. 3 weeks ago I was walking in the sand on the beach in San Diego and got up from the ground all by myself. :yay:

This cruise is very important to me because having stage iv means I will continue to be treated for cancer the rest of my life. This could very well mean that this is the last Christmas that I will be able to travel. I am hoping that I continue to get stronger, but want to prepare for the worst. I am trying to create an over the top absolutely rememberable magical Christmas for my guys. So preparation is key. I am hoping to anticipate trouble before it arises so that all they remember is the magic. Looking over the shore excursions most of them say you may not bring an electric wheelchair or scooter. I am planning on purchasing the luggie scooter which is light and very portable. It folds up to the size of a stroller and can be pulled behind like a carry-on bag. When folded it is the same size as a wheeled carry-on bag. Would I be able to take that on the tenders? They even sell a hard case that looks like a suitcase perhaps I should purchase that too then they won't even know what I have it could be sand toys and clothes. :boat:

As I said I am open to anything you might have in the way of a suggestion or tip. :listen:

A couple quick answers.
You will need to give the medication at the kid's club.

At school, they don't want kids carrying medication because of concern about other kids taking it or some kids bringing in drugs disguised as medication. So many have zero tolerance for any drugs, even a Tylenol for a teen girl to carry in her purse. The cruise won't have that problem. When he's not in kid's club, he will be able to carry it. They may make him leave it at the front desk and ask if he needs it at the kid's club. I'm not sure about that, but I do know they could not administer it.

I have not been on a cruise, but from what I have seen, getting on and off the tenders may involve some steps up and down onto a moving tender. A scooter or wheelchair could not be driven on and the fact that they also say no wheelchairs makes me think it would not be possible to fold one and bring it on either.

If you are able to bring the small scooter on the tenders, I would not have a case for it - just another thing to worry about where it is.

If you do get on land, some areas will not be accessible, so it may be easier to just plan things on the ship for the shore trips using a tender.
I'm sure some people who have gone on cruises will chime in, so you will more answers.

First of all, I'm glad you're taking a well-deserved vacation. I have stage 4 colon cancer, recently diagnosed, and also a neuromuscular disease where i am in a power wheelchair and on a ventilator 24/7. As such, I haven't had to adjust to mobility challenges as I already had them. I can relate though to your concerns.

First, I would contact DCL for any questions about meds in the kid's clubs. They have a special services department that can help you get all your questions answered. As to yourself on port adventures, if you can walk down a few steps into the tender boat and can have someone carry the scooter down into the tender and up once you've arrived at your port, then there's no restriction on your bringing it.

My concern is how you will get around once you've arrived at your destination. For the ports that are tendered, they do not have the ADA so there are often no curb cuts or way to get around.

Which cruise have you chosen? If it's Mexican Riviera, then you'll be visiting Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas which is gorgeous! Again, I would contact special services to let them know of your concerns. They can at least give advice on what is accessible in those ports. i have also had good experiences once onboard with the port adventures team being able to arrange something for me, although it's not guaranteed. ---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter