ADHD/Anxiety line activities?

JLPugs

Earning My Ears
Of our party of 12, one child has ADHD/ODD/anxiety, one adult with ADHD/anxiety, and one adult with anxiety. Meds help some, but two of three still have issues. What has worked well while waiting in line for rides, bus, etc? We plan to request DAS for the child just in case he has issues, but do you have any tips for activities waiting in line or just walking around the parks?

This should likely be a separate post, but are there any downsides to renting a wheelchair for someone with limited mobility who doesn't think they are limited? An ECV is not a good choice since her sight is not great, but she insists she doesn't need a wheelchair (she does, unless she plans to leave the parks after 30 minutes. Any suggestions on how to approach this? Not super concerned about ride lines since she will only go on the family rides.

for the ADHD would a game on the phone help/ or a stress ball silly putty, or anything else you can think of that would keep there minds and hands busy

as far as the wheelchair goes I would get one tell her it is for every one have the kids with ADHD use it if they get too antsi ( move around to much) so they know they have a quiet place to go sit, ( I would use it for them mostly in lines) and have the adult use it walking from thing to thing

I second gap's suggestion of a stress ball, or some other simple handheld object for queues.

I've started using a stress ball that I bought on Amazon - (Pull and Stretch Bounce Balls - but they don't really bounce at all?) and the kids at school loved it so much I bought five more packs of them and gave them out at school. They have a unique texture, and the slow compression of the putty inside the thick layer of covering is very soothing to me (and about 20 kids at school :) )

My ADHD 9 ds now uses a rubik's cube as a fidget when we wait places. He watched some videos one evening and 5 hours later he was timing himself to see how fast he can do it. We now have a collection of various different types. He finds them very calming as they engage his brain and his hands. The added bonus is most people think its really cool instead of weird and engage him about them when they otherwise would be annoyed by him. We haven't tried them at Disney World yet, but they are part of my plan for when his medicines wears off each night.

I also have a flow ring I will link a site soon but you can giggle it and it should come up. I love this thing so much. And you can see about a fidget cube

with my kiddo, one of us will stand at the front of our group and the other adult will be at the rear, we then leave a good amount of space between us and that gives our son room to jump. flap, move or just not have that closed in feeling. cruchy snacks, fidget toys, ear buds with fav music,, sunglasses and a hat to cut down of visual noise. find a quiet place and have a rest, or run around. make sure he does some heavy work before going into the parks.. IE pushups. or wall pushes,, lifting a heavy suitcase . hand stands to work on his proprioceptive system..
oh and rent a wheelchair for the adult.. she may not ever use it,, but if you dont have it and she does it will make everyone miserable.

hope you all have a great trip

Have you every tried a weighted vest? There is lots of research indicating that the use of weighted blankets at night as well weighted vests during the day. Not sure if this would work for you, but it works great for all of mine as an anxiety reducer. The added stimulation helps focus them on something.... sometimes a little difficult in the heat, but works all the same!

My youngest who is exceptionally sensory, waits in line and moves like a frog to get his 'wiggles out' haha....

Thank you all for the great suggestions. Most of the items mentioned are new to me and I'm excited to check them out. I've thought about a weighted blanket but haven't yet taken the plunge.

We will definitely rent a wheelchair, but stress that it's for anyone in our group that needs it. Which is absolutely true ;)

Thank you all for the great suggestions. Most of the items mentioned are new to me and I'm excited to check them out. I've thought about a weighted blanket but haven't yet taken the plunge.

We will definitely rent a wheelchair, but stress that it's for anyone in our group that needs it. Which is absolutely true ;)
Weighted blanket is very very expensive ( I have one that I got for around $200 and this was on the cheerer end) If the person is not seeking pressor ( I would put being bags, heaver pollows, a few heavy blankets on me) then I might not get one or get a lap one ( much cheaper) But I will say I am so glade I did finnal get a weighted blanket as it really helps be out when I am over stimlated or on the verge of a mealt down and need to get grounded again.

my son has a weighted blanket,, it cost $100. from a woman that makes them to go to kids that may not be able to afford them,, I paid for the materials and she donated her time.. as for the vest. if he is a seeker and needs some pressure feed back, get a backpack and fill it with a packet of flour or large bag of rice.. the vests are crazy expensive , and if he has never used one before , you will want to see if it works.. also the vests shouldn't be used all day.. after about 30 minutes it should be removed,, the body gets used to it and will become ineffective .. he should practice wearing it before he goes.. nothing worse that trying something new in Disneyland and not have it work . especially if he is already assaulted with Disney smells and sights !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!