Adding spouse

mort1331

DIS Veteran
I wanted to start a new thread instead about adding a spouse to ownership. I was asking about getting my wife into the new DVC lounge at Epcot and it started to get off topic. So.
I know Disneynut was mentioning about adding for a small fee, but after contacting Disney it doesn't look that way.
Disney sent me the one page form, but then also said I need to go thru a title company to file the papers with. Well First American Title sent me their stuff and the fee was 495, well that is not a small fee just to add a name.
This is the first time the wife and kids are heading down without me,:(, and it wont always be like this, so adding a name isn't a necessity.
If anyone has simpler steps, I am all ears.
TIA

I wanted to start a new thread instead about adding a spouse to ownership. I was asking about getting my wife into the new DVC lounge at Epcot and it started to get off topic. So.
I know Disneynut was mentioning about adding for a small fee, but after contacting Disney it doesn't look that way.
Disney sent me the one page form, but then also said I need to go thru a title company to file the papers with. Well First American Title sent me their stuff and the fee was 495, well that is not a small fee just to add a name.
This is the first time the wife and kids are heading down without me,:(, and it wont always be like this, so adding a name isn't a necessity.
If anyone has simpler steps, I am all ears.
TIA
It requires a deed change for each individual contract. For a single contract you can do it yourself for under $50. There are a couple of companies you can get it done for under $200. LTtransfers is the cheapest I know of to get someone else to do it. You can complete the paperwork and a quit claim deed and file it yourself for WDW. For HI or SC it's a little more complicated.

My guess is that first American is a Disney partner and they get a fee from them. There isn't a title search required, just a filling with Disney and the county clerks office. It does go through ROFR but Disney hasn't taken any back for adding a name to title.

I know that Dean has posted about this before, he is very knowledgeable, DEAN HELP.

:earsboy: Bill

The process is the following.

1. Contact DVC for the transfer paperwork.
  2. Complete the transfer form and send it in for "ROFR"
  3. Send FL specific Quit Claim and ROFR form plus recording fees to OC (assuming it's WDW). Recording fees should be $37.7 assuming 2 pages for each document.
  4. Complete second transfer form (received with ROFR) and send it to Disney along with a copy of the recorded deed. Time saving tip, keep an eye on the OC website for the deed to be recorded and print it rather than waiting for the original to be returned to you.

Thanks, that doesnt seem too bad. I already have the one page from Disney. Where do I get the Quit Clam and ROFR forms. Can I do this remote? I am in Canada. Do I need to send cheque or can they take CC.
TIA

Thanks, that doesnt seem too bad. I already have the one page from Disney. Where do I get the Quit Clam and ROFR forms. Can I do this remote? I am in Canada. Do I need to send cheque or can they take CC.
TIA
You complete that transfer form and send it to DVC. They'll then send you the second transfer form and ROFR form. You can get a deed at any of a number of online options including legal zoom. I found a word template online when I did it and used that. You'll need to send a check, not sure if they'll take one from out of the US though.

Glad I found this post. Just got off phone with DVC, they emailed transfer form and recommended 1st American Title. Am gonna try Dean's way :) Questions- ROFR , how long will this take? Do these forms need to be notarized? If so, can I use a notary in Texas? TIA

Glad I found this post. Just got off phone with DVC, they emailed transfer form and recommended 1st American Title. Am gonna try Dean's way :) Questions- ROFR , how long will this take? Do these forms need to be notarized? If so, can I use a notary in Texas? TIA
It'll take a couple of months if you don't have any setbacks. They do have to be notarized and have two witnesses. The notary can be a witness but has to sign in the appropriate additional spot. A tip is once the deed is recorded, print it off and send it with the second transfer form they'll send you with the waiver of ROFR, that alone will save you weeks.

It'll take a couple of months if you don't have any setbacks. They do have to be notarized and have two witnesses. The notary can be a witness but has to sign in the appropriate additional spot. A tip is once the deed is recorded, print it off and send it with the second transfer form they'll send you with the waiver of ROFR, that alone will save you weeks.
Thank you!:thumbsup2

The process is the following.

1. Contact DVC for the transfer paperwork.
  2. Complete the transfer form and send it in for "ROFR"
  3. Send FL specific Quit Claim and ROFR form plus recording fees to OC (assuming it's WDW). Recording fees should be $37.7 assuming 2 pages for each document.
  4. Complete second transfer form (received with ROFR) and send it to Disney along with a copy of the recorded deed. Time saving tip, keep an eye on the OC website for the deed to be recorded and print it rather than waiting for the original to be returned to you.
Pardon my denseness as I wade thru this. I'm usually not this confused by simple things. I've found the "Request to Change Title" form on the DVC website. Printed it, filled it in and faxed it. So far, so good.

I found a "Quit Claim Deed" Word file on the Brevard County Clerk's website, which I'm assuming will act as a "Florida specific" document? I'm attempting to fill it out but I have a couple of questions.
  • In the description of the property, how far does that description go? IOW, after all of the legalese describing location of the property, my current deed goes on to include the UY, a disclaimer that "points" are only representative of ownership, etc. Do I copy all of that info, word for word, into the quit claim deed all the way thru to the part "To Have and to Hold"?
  • I want it titled as Joint Tenants with Rights of Survivorship. Where does this information get entered on the quit claim?
  • There is also a 3rd document that I found on the OC Comptroller's website (Property Transfer Information Form" that I "think" I will also need to send?

You complete that transfer form and send it to DVC. They'll then send you the second transfer form and ROFR form. You can get a deed at any of a number of online options including legal zoom. I found a word template online when I did it and used that. You'll need to send a check, not sure if they'll take one from out of the US though.
Dean, So in addition to sending

Dean, would you happen to have the link for the word template you found online?

Pardon my denseness as I wade thru this. I'm usually not this confused by simple things. I've found the "Request to Change Title" form on the DVC website. Printed it, filled it in and faxed it. So far, so good.

I found a "Quit Claim Deed" Word file on the Brevard County Clerk's website, which I'm assuming will act as a "Florida specific" document? I'm attempting to fill it out but I have a couple of questions.
  • In the description of the property, how far does that description go? IOW, after all of the legalese describing location of the property, my current deed goes on to include the UY, a disclaimer that "points" are only representative of ownership, etc. Do I copy all of that info, word for word, into the quit claim deed all the way thru to the part "To Have and to Hold"?
  • I want it titled as Joint Tenants with Rights of Survivorship. Where does this information get entered on the quit claim?
  • There is also a 3rd document that I found on the OC Comptroller's website (Property Transfer Information Form" that I "think" I will also need to send?
I assume that should be fine if it meets the FL requirements. I'm not sure how the requirements will work for a quit claim for title purposes if you want it specific, you may want to get a Warranty deed done for that purpose.

Dean, So in addition to sending

Dean, would you happen to have the link for the word template you found online?
I don't have a link, it's been some time and I've since found info that it was supposed to be a purchased document though I didn't have that info at the time of this posting.

I assume that should be fine if it meets the FL requirements. I'm not sure how the requirements will work for a quit claim for title purposes if you want it specific, you may want to get a Warranty deed done for that purpose.

I don't have a link, it's been some time and I've since found info that it was supposed to be a purchased document though I didn't have that info at the time of this posting.
Thanks, Dean. I ended up spending the evening combing thru the OC Comptroller's website looking for examples of quit claim and warranty deeds where family members had added one or more names. I printed out several examples that had been executed by a couple of title companies, lawyers and individuals. I think I have a pretty good handle on this now and I'll just create my own document based on those forms and my current deed.

Thanks, Dean. I ended up spending the evening combing thru the OC Comptroller's website looking for examples of quit claim and warranty deeds where family members had added one or more names. I printed out several examples that had been executed by a couple of title companies, lawyers and individuals. I think I have a pretty good handle on this now and I'll just create my own document based on those forms and my current deed.
That's a great idea, am going to do that this evening :thumbsup2

I wish I had a handle on it like you do. I've been trying to figure this out for nearly a year starting with reading all threads possible and asking questions. We got the ROFR stuff back in December or January-ish, but were stopped in our tracks because you have to have the dues paid, and that wasn't possible (we budget it monthly and aren't yet ahead of ourselves). The letter also said you can't have a reservation, and I did. I found out later that that requirement isn't held when it's this kind of transfer.

But the whole deed/quit claim/etc stuff I just do not understand. It's like the first time I tried to learn to knit; at a certain point it just seems like magic, and I didn't understand what they were doing. I just don't get it. :). I don't get when you're doing with the warranty deeds (or what that even IS), and I don't know if the FL quit claim deed I found on officedepot's website months ago would work, or what to do with it. I hate feeling this stupid. Maybe I'm why those brokers exist. Oh and of course they didn't receive our fax, so hubby called in at one point, and they convinced him that I'm an idiot for thinking we can do this on our own, so he thinks it's all a bad idea anyway.

Pity party for one, LOL.

I wish I had a handle on it like you do. I've been trying to figure this out for nearly a year starting with reading all threads possible and asking questions. We got the ROFR stuff back in December or January-ish, but were stopped in our tracks because you have to have the dues paid, and that wasn't possible (we budget it monthly and aren't yet ahead of ourselves). The letter also said you can't have a reservation, and I did. I found out later that that requirement isn't held when it's this kind of transfer.

But the whole deed/quit claim/etc stuff I just do not understand. It's like the first time I tried to learn to knit; at a certain point it just seems like magic, and I didn't understand what they were doing. I just don't get it. :). I don't get when you're doing with the warranty deeds (or what that even IS), and I don't know if the FL quit claim deed I found on officedepot's website months ago would work, or what to do with it. I hate feeling this stupid. Maybe I'm why those brokers exist. Oh and of course they didn't receive our fax, so hubby called in at one point, and they convinced him that I'm an idiot for thinking we can do this on our own, so he thinks it's all a bad idea anyway.

Pity party for one, LOL.
If I didn't feel confident, I would not proceed on my own. The deed and how to word it was the sticking point for me as well. But after reviewing more than a dozen quit claim and warranty deeds that were recorded within the last couple of weeks, especially the wording in those prepared by title companies and lawyers, I'm sure that I can do this. I don't think that anyone who is nervous about handling something like this should attempt it The contract that I'm re-titling is small. To pay a title company to do this would not be worth spending $400-$500 to accomplish. So, I'm willing to give it a try.

If I didn't feel confident, I would not proceed on my own. The deed and how to word it was the sticking point for me as well. But after reviewing more than a dozen quit claim and warranty deeds that were recorded within the last couple of weeks, especially the wording in those prepared by title companies and lawyers, I'm sure that I can do this. I don't think that anyone who is nervous about handling something like this should attempt it The contract that I'm re-titling is small. To pay a title company to do this would not be worth spending $400-$500 to accomplish. So, I'm willing to give it a try.
When you did your search, did you enter any key words to pull up quit / warranty deeds?

When you did your search, did you enter any key words to pull up quit / warranty deeds?
There's a box to "uncheck" to search for specific documents. It's located in the upper right of the search page. I unchecked it and then chose "deed" from the drop down. Then I chose a 2-week range of dates to search. There were a lot of deeds to sift through but I chose to look for any that had the same names under Grantor and Grantee with additional names under Grantee. Those with two names under Grantor and only one common name under Grantee tended to be divorce or estate settlements. I also only looked at DVC properties. It took the better part of an evening to get about a dozen examples to use as a reference.

There's a box to "uncheck" to search for specific documents. It's located in the upper right of the search page. I unchecked it and then chose "deed" from the drop down. Then I chose a 2-week range of dates to search. There were a lot of deeds to sift through but I chose to look for any that had the same names under Grantor and Grantee with additional names under Grantee. Those with two names under Grantor and only one common name under Grantee tended to be divorce or estate settlements. I also only looked at DVC properties. It took the better part of an evening to get about a dozen examples to use as a reference.

Thank you !! :thumbsup2

Thank you !! :thumbsup2
You can narrow down your search by typing "Disney" in the legal remarks box located under the advanced tab on the search page. That knocks out all of the other property transfers that don't involve DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter