Adding on Point Question

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by JGINPL, Mar 12, 2019.

1. JGINPL

JGINPL Earning My Ears

Hello - I was hoping for some advice from some users on here. I'm looking at adding on 25 more points and I'm trying to decide if I should be patient and go via resale or just buy a 25 point contract via direct and make sure my use years match. Currently I have a Feb use year. I would be looking for a contract either at Old Key West (extended), SSR or BLT. Any insight from users is appreciated.
    Thanks,

2. _auroraborealis_

_auroraborealis_ I like marshmallows. And adult beverages.

If you want 25, buy direct. Patience isn't going to help you much resale, and you won't save much, if anything.

JGINPL likes this.
  3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Disney Vacation Club Resales www.dvcstore.com

4. JoeD07

JoeD07 Earning My Ears

If you're willing to be patient, I think you could find what you want, but smaller contracts do tend to cost more per point on the resale market. Still, there could be savings to be had.

OKW is the cheapest direct you listed at around $151

I'm fairly certain you could find contracts at all 3 of those resorts cheaper than $150.

5. D-Trick

D-Trick Oakland Raiders FTW

For 25 points, buy direct. Save yourself the resale trouble and hassle for a contract that small.
    _______

Just curious... do you already own OKW, SSR, and/or BLT?

I acknowledge that some people purposely plan on using a lone 25 point contract every 2/3 years with banking and borrowing, but I have always felt that a 25 point contract should just be added to a property you already own.

6. AnnaS

AnnaS DIS Sponsoor/Veteran

I would buy direct. I browse some resale sites here and there and don't see 25 point contract advertised (or often). If you have lot's of patience, call and get on every broker's list you can think of. I doubt it makes the listings.

Good luck!

7. JGINPL

JGINPL Earning My Ears

AnnaS likes this.
  8. D-Trick

D-Trick Oakland Raiders FTW

You mention you want the longer contract term... so my follow up question then is:
    What good will a longer, 25 point BLT contract serve in 2055-2060, after SSR expires? You wouldn't have membership extras (assuming you have them now) with just 25 points unless you plan on adding at least 50 more in the future.

I'm just curious. You're of course entitled to make any decision you'd like. :-)

9. Cyberc1978

Cyberc1978 DIS Veteran

As you already own at SSR and “only” are looking for 25 points I would buy the same home resort as I already have. 25 points at BLT won’t get you far, I know you could bank and borrow to get 75 points every 3 years but imo it’s too risky and I wonder how many that actually works for.

10. AnnaS

AnnaS DIS Sponsoor/Veteran

I agree.

11. Bobb_o

Bobb_o Mouseketeer

I thought the minimum was 75 points? Is that just for new contracts?

12. chalee94

chalee94 <font color=green>I thought all sand was ground up

75 is the minimum for perks.