Adding more Points... Resale or thru Disney

RJHopson

Earning My Ears
March 8 2019 my wife and I signed our contract with Disney to purchase 175 points at Copper Creek and we are thrilled. We had been thinking about it for years. What pushed us across the line is our son is working at WDW as part of the Disney College Program, so we were able to use his discount on the purchase.

After planning our first trip using our points for later this year, I’m thinking we should have purchased 200 or 225 to meet our future plans. I can add 25-50 more points either thru Disney (with my sons discount by Monday March 18 by rewriting the contract) OR the resale market at any time. Adding 25-50 points is available in the resale market , but does it matter what resort I purchase more points? I’ll be combining them most likely which means 7 month bookings...so what’s the difference between Vero Beach purchase or AKL? The cost at VB is MUCH better...

Depending on the discount you get with your son's employment, I think the best thing for you would be to just buy 50 more direct points in the same UY at Copper Creek, that way you will have enough point for 1 bedroom units because studios are getting harder to book at CCV.

Also, the big question is...... do you want to stay at Copper Creek most of the time?

If you want to stay at another resort, the "buy were you want to stay" mantra is the one to live by because of all the new restrictions that DVC is putting on all contracts.

Make sure to read through all the pages in the DVC forum to truly understand what you are buying first though.

The purchase price is but the tip of the iceberg. VB has some of the highest maintenance fees of all of DVC. In just a few short years, the initial cost difference between VB and CCV will be entirely consumed, and you'll be paying those higher maintenance fees for another 20 years.

CCV is point heavy with cabins. It's created a problem with booking studios for most of the year, because most contracts are smallish and people are expecting to book studios. That problem will likely, if it hasn't already, migrated to 1BR units, as CCV owners add on points to get 1BR's when they find a studio isn't bookable.

You're still in the 10 day period to reverse your purchase at CCV. I'd suggest you do that and consider another choice for your home resort.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Craig

We have done both when buying a small contract. Price difference is there but not as significant with a small contract. Small contracts can be found resale but CC is new and there may not be much out there that exactly suits your needs. Just a note...when you buy direct, the points are in your account very quickly. For resale, you have a longer waiting period that can be closer to a few months.

Depending on the discount you get with your son's employment, I think the best thing for you would be to just buy 50 more direct points in the same UY at Copper Creek, that way you will have enough point for 1 bedroom units because studios are getting harder to book at CCV.

Also, the big question is...... do you want to stay at Copper Creek most of the time?

If you want to stay at another resort, the "buy were you want to stay" mantra is the one to live by because of all the new restrictions that DVC is putting on all contracts.

Make sure to read through all the pages in the DVC forum to truly understand what you are buying first though.
I agree with what @Matty B13 has stated above. If you don’t want to stay at Copper Creek and your desire is to always switch then you have two ways of looking at this

1) you should buy where you want to stay or
2) you should buy where you don’t mind staying.

If your goal is to go with route #2 and you plan on staying in studios during October to Mid January I would consider that a majority of the time you’ll end up at copper creek since that is the busiest time for the most desired unit type, across all resorts. If you intend on doing 1 bedrooms the ease of switching is more easily done.

Also if you want to go with #2 there might be cheaper resorts (not sure what the employee discount is) that would work better. But do remember buying resale will not get you access to resorts built after Riviera and including Riviera.

CCV is point heavy with cabins. It's created a problem with booking studios for most of the year, because most contracts are smallish and people are expecting to book studios. That problem will likely, if it hasn't already, migrated to 1BR units, as CCV owners add on points to get 1BR's when they find a studio isn't bookable.

This. I can't imagine buying into this resort with the intended use of studios, (that is what we book) and then having to really compete at the 11 month mark during certain times. I don't think this set up is as bad at the Poly, but even with what little DVC knowledge I have, I know this is complete BS.

March 8 2019 my wife and I signed our contract with Disney to purchase 175 points at Copper Creek and we are thrilled. We had been thinking about it for years. What pushed us across the line is our son is working at WDW as part of the Disney College Program, so we were able to use his discount on the purchase.

After planning our first trip using our points for later this year, I’m thinking we should have purchased 200 or 225 to meet our future plans. I can add 25-50 more points either thru Disney (with my sons discount by Monday March 18 by rewriting the contract) OR the resale market at any time. Adding 25-50 points is available in the resale market , but does it matter what resort I purchase more points? I’ll be combining them most likely which means 7 month bookings...so what’s the difference between Vero Beach purchase or AKL? The cost at VB is MUCH better...

The question that comes to my mind is "why did you purchase CCV"? Because that's where you want to stay most times or because its what they sold you? That answer could dictate if you should keep or recind the contact you have and what to do for more points. Where do you most want to stay?

That is great getting your son’s discount! If you love Copper Creek, I would add on before the rescission period.

I don’t know if the employee discount apples to older properties, but if there is one you really like, I would ask.

Also, I believe that there are restrictions on your contract as well since they were bought with an employee discount. I would do some research into what those restrictions are.

Also, I believe that there are restrictions on your contract as well since they were bought with an employee discount. I would do some research into what those restrictions are.
Wasn’t the restriction (at least at one time) you could only sell it back to DVC for the price you paid and the discount wasn’t available on sold out resorts?

Wasn’t the restriction (at least at one time) you could only sell it back to DVC for the price you paid and the discount wasn’t available on sold out resorts?

I don't recall what the restrictions were, plus they might have changed.

I remember others posting about being restricted on selling the contracts but I don't recall anything about DVC buying them back for what you paid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter