Adding a person to my reservation part stay

I also posted my experiences on that thread. We stayed at AKL in June '16 and were there with my parents. My sister joined us for the last 3 nights of a 10 night stay. My mother spoke to the front desk where the cast member and manager threatened my parents with eviction if they attempted to have my sister stay in the room. My 72 year old mother was in tears and was absolutely panicked the rest of the trip as my sister was already in town and had nowhere to stay unless she got her own reservation. I have no idea why this happened but both the cast member and manager referenced the dining plan to my mother.

Were you going above occupancy limits for the room by adding your sister?

Edited to add: I'm sorry - I saw from the other thread that there were only two people in your parents room and you wouldn't have exceeded occupancy. I'm so sorry that happened to your mom.

Last edited:
Now I’m worried...my son is joining us halfway through our week for his college fall break. I booked my husband, daughter and I as a package with dining and tickets. I was told to add him the day before he arrives (so he could utilize Magical Express) as a “day guest” and he could get a non personalized magic band from guest services at hotel. We plan to pay out of pocket for his meals. CM also told me to get his park tickets and link them to ours so I can make FastPass+ selections for everyone at 60 days out. Here’s my concerns: 1. Does he not have access to EMH? CM said he would but I’m doubting that now. And 2. For non-resort guests, you can only make FastPass reservations 30 days out - and not for the whole week. Meaning you have to log in every morning 30 days out for each day you want to book FP. So I’m thinking I can’t include him in my FastPass reservations because he won’t be officially on the package 60 days out? Does this make sense? If both of these things are true, I’ll have to figure out a better way to do this. Either two separate packages, which is a nightmare because the ticket price is a savings when you buy a whole week at once, or book him with us the whole time and eat the extra cost there.

Once your son has tickets you can book his FP+ with yours no matter what as long as you book his along with at least one person in the onsite party. As an example my SIL and nieces live in FL and often join us for a day at a time and I am able to book their FP+ with ours. So FP+ isn't going to be an issue for you.

I have successfully added a guest after check in several times and they were able to use DME, get a MB and take advantage of EMH, room charging and all the other onsite advantages. Its been a while but the way it was explained to me (unless things have changed) once you check in you have fulfilled the requirements of the package and can add a guest at that time. If your son is under 18 there should be no additional fee, if he is over 18 and you already have two adults in the room there will be an extra adult fee depending on the resort.

Unfortunately you probably won't get confirmation of this ahead of time as the phone CM"s don't always have all the info that a resort CM will.

Now I’m worried...my son is joining us halfway through our week for his college fall break. I booked my husband, daughter and I as a package with dining and tickets. I was told to add him the day before he arrives (so he could utilize Magical Express) as a “day guest” and he could get a non personalized magic band from guest services at hotel. We plan to pay out of pocket for his meals. CM also told me to get his park tickets and link them to ours so I can make FastPass+ selections for everyone at 60 days out. Here’s my concerns: 1. Does he not have access to EMH? CM said he would but I’m doubting that now. And 2. For non-resort guests, you can only make FastPass reservations 30 days out - and not for the whole week. Meaning you have to log in every morning 30 days out for each day you want to book FP. So I’m thinking I can’t include him in my FastPass reservations because he won’t be officially on the package 60 days out? Does this make sense? If both of these things are true, I’ll have to figure out a better way to do this. Either two separate packages, which is a nightmare because the ticket price is a savings when you buy a whole week at once, or book him with us the whole time and eat the extra cost there.

I’m afraid this is one of those issues that is handled differently depending on the CM, the resort, the day... people report different experiences. We have had this situation twice. On both occasions we had packages (booked by a third party because we stayed as part of a group) and were unable to add a guest to our reservation. However, we were able to add my a family member as a “day guest” with parking and pool privileges. We were able to arrange DME both times also, but had to try three times at CBR until we got a manager to help us. My son was able to get a room key but not a magic band linked to our room. Also could not take advantage of EMH in parks. But all in all everything worked out. Good luck!

Last edited:

I was someone who this didn't work for. When my elderly parents tried to add my sister for the last 3 or 4 nights (I can't remember now) of a 9 night stay the cast member at AKL threatened to throw my parents out of their room. They told them that my sister had to be on the reservation and pay for the meal plan for the entire time my parents had the room. (For what it's worth: my travel agent had told me the same thing before we traveled and it was Dreams Unlimited in case you are wondering.) I have read repeated posts from a single poster who swears that they are able to do this each and every time that they travel to Disney. Perhaps this single person has been extremely lucky. However, after being told by my travel agent that it wouldn't work and then having my parents being threatened with eviction, I would never try it again.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that the reason that my parents tried to add my sister at the front desk was because they didn’t believe that it wouldn’t work. I had asked about it on this board and told that it wouldn’t work. I was also told by my travel agent. However, my mom called WDW and the phone cast member assured her that it would be fine and that it is done all the time.

Last edited:
I was someone who this didn't work for. When my elderly parents tried to add my sister for the last 3 or 4 nights (I can't remember now) of a 9 night stay the cast member at AKL threatened to throw my parents out of their room. They told them that my sister had to be on the reservation and pay for the meal plan for the entire time my parents had the room. (For what it's worth: my travel agent had told me the same thing before we traveled and it was Dreams Unlimited in case you are wondering.) I have read repeated posts from a single poster who swears that they are able to do this each and every time that they travel to Disney. Perhaps this single person has been extremely lucky. However, after being told by my travel agent that it wouldn't work and then having my parents being threatened with eviction, I would never try it again.

I booked through Disney directly. She said to book my son as a day guest, at least a day before he arrives so he can use Magical Express. She said to book him as a day guest. I’m assuming he’ll be $15/night extra charge because he’d make the 3rd adult in the room at a value resort. No problem. But I’m thinking that the terminology of “day guest” is going to mean he can’t use EMH. Probably going to cost an extra $300, but I’ll most likely just add him to reservation for whole time.

I booked through Disney directly. She said to book my son as a day guest, at least a day before he arrives so he can use Magical Express. She said to book him as a day guest. I’m assuming he’ll be $15/night extra charge because he’d make the 3rd adult in the room at a value resort. No problem. But I’m thinking that the terminology of “day guest” is going to mean he can’t use EMH. Probably going to cost an extra $300, but I’ll most likely just add him to reservation for whole time.

If they said he can use the D Magical Express I don't see why he wouldn't be able to use EMH especially if they are charging you the extra adult "per night" guest fee. I think you may be reading more into the terminology "day guest" than is intended.

If they said he can use the D Magical Express I don't see why he wouldn't be able to use EMH especially if they are charging you the extra adult "per night" guest fee. I think you may be reading more into the terminology "day guest" than is intended.

I’ll see what my CM says. I love that they give you a way to contact them directly now! I’m just nervous because of the number of people who have reported being told one thing on the phone - and something else entirely at the resort. Depending on what my CM says...I may call and ask Pop guest services directly.

I’ll see what my CM says. I love that they give you a way to contact them directly now! I’m just nervous because of the number of people who have reported being told one thing on the phone - and something else entirely at the resort. Depending on what my CM says...I may call and ask Pop guest services directly.

When is your trip and have you priced out the package vs booking room and tickets separately? Just throwing this out there as you are thinking of adding your son to the package at what I would assume is a large additional cost.

Depending on the package and length of stay sometimes a room only discount with tickets and meals purchased separately works out more cost effective. You can look at menus to see approx. $ you would be spending on meals to get a pretty good idea of actual daily meal costs.

If so this would eliminate any issues with your son as you could just add him to the reservation, book his dme separate from yours and then purchase everyone tickets based on their needs.

Also just wanted to point out that this thread is a year old - you may get some more recent experiences by posting your own new thread - or maybe once more posters have a chance to read and respond!

Last edited:
I just booked a package for Disneyland- I’m staying for five days - but after I booked I decided to bring my parents as a Father’s Day gift for my dad. They can only stay for four days because of work and the CM told my TA to just add them on when they got there, it would be no issue but they couldn’t be added to the package without being added for the same time with the same 5 days tickets. However we are travelling in June when galaxy’s edge opens and I wanted to make sure they got a time for galaxy’s edge. Also my parents have an awful habits of trying to pay for things, like tickets, etc, so I really wanted to have it all pre paid before I got there.

We were actually going to cancel the whole package and re-book with a room only reservation and separate tickets. Then my TA got on the phone and a CM gave her a better plan to just keep a package with a 5 day stay, but book everyone with 4 day park hoppers and then I can just upgrade mine to a 5 day when I get there. I have to say it made me feel a lot better to have them on the reservation and all settled.

That said, it’s Disneyland and they didn’t seem to charge me extra for the 3rd adult. Also, they don’t have dining plans. But maybe this could work for others with room and ticket packages?

Wow! This is a great information. I couldn’t fathom paying extra hopper tickets for family member who is showing up for 2 nights/2 days in park.

Do you suppose they are trying to change the policy to keep people from using this as a loophole to avoid having all guests in the room on the dining plan?

Do you suppose they are trying to change the policy to keep people from using this as a loophole to avoid having all guests in the room on the dining plan?

They aren't changing the policy. The issues some have had are a result of misinformed CMs. Either that or they WERE trying to change the policy and have now changed their minds. I know multiple people who have recently added guests, who had packages, to their reservation for a couple days upon check in with zero issues.

I've done it many times and so have others on here (at many different resorts). I have never attempted to go above occupancy limits. I will go for 7-10 days and one of my children will join us for only a few days of trip. I have done this many times with a package (which means they can not be added in advance without the package). Since they make our adult numbers go to 3, they would owe the extra adult charge and of course they want EMH access. When I check in I tell them I will be adding XXX for these dates. I also need them to add them to Magical Express for arrival. I've never had any kind of problem doing this and it's always been a positive pleasant interaction. In recent years they have offered them a MagicBand in the color of their choice even though we didn't ask. Starting doing this in 2007 and last time I did this was in October 2018. They get MB, ME, EMH, charging to room ... every single room only perk.

The only issue anyone would have is if you are trying to add them without your package then it has to be done after arrival ... and if that person is flying in with you at beginning, they will not have access to Magical Express because at that point they are not considered a guest.

Something to remember is that there are often college students at Disney for a few months on internship working those front desks. If you ever think you are given wrong information or don't understand .... ask for them to check with a supervisor or manager because that is not how you understood it when you booked. They are minimally trained and learn on the job, your questions may just help them learn something new.

Last edited:
I’m late to this party, but wanted to mention that you can always book two back to back reservations. The first with room, dining plan, and tickets for your entire stay (ie. 7 day more ticket for the savings). Then book a second room only for the remaining nights, call in to have the two reservations linked (better chance of not having to change rooms) and add dining to the room only as a “ticketless package”. That allows you to customize your vacation to account for people who may only be there for part of your vacation. Your son could have purchased a park ticket separately and still have gotten all of the DME, FP, and EMH perks with less hassle than adding him as a day guest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter