Adding a person to my reservation part stay

ceemys

DIS Veteran
I have a 9 day reservation this July with my daughter. My DIL wants to come down with my grandson for the first 2 days to visit. I called WDW hotel reservations and they said they said she could be added as an additional adult for approximately $35 per day. She will have magic bands if she wants to go to the park but since she will be 34 weeks pregnant, she isn't sure and will buy them on the spot if she goes. But I told them I just wanted her to have access to the room only not get put on my MYW package. They also said that I have to wait to add her until I get to the front desk on check in day.

Has anyone done this before? If so, how easy was it? Was that your cost? Did you run into anything that I need to account for?

I have a 9 day reservation this July with my daughter. My DIL wants to come down with my grandson for the first 2 days to visit. I called WDW hotel reservations and they said they said she could be added as an additional adult for approximately $35 per day. She will have magic bands if she wants to go to the park but since she will be 34 weeks pregnant, she isn't sure and will buy them on the spot if she goes. But I told them I just wanted her to have access to the room only not get put on my MYW package. They also said that I have to wait to add her until I get to the front desk on check in day.

Has anyone done this before? If so, how easy was it? Was that your cost? Did you run into anything that I need to account for?

If you do not want her to have your package components, then, yes, the best way to do this is to add DIL and your grandson at the front desk when you arrive. It sounds like you are staying in a deluxe resort as the extra adult fee (if you have more than 2 adults, 18 years or older, staying in a standard room) is $35 plus tax. The only downside to this is if DIL and your grandson want to use Magical Express as they will not be able to use it until they are added to the reservation.

I'm actually staying at All Star Movies. Do you think she quoted me at a higher price just to make sure I had everything covered? We will be driving in from Clear Water and having lunch at Chef Mickey's. We plan on checking in after lunch. If it is cheaper, that would be great! :)

I'm actually staying at All Star Movies. Do you think she quoted me at a higher price just to make sure I had everything covered? We will be driving in from Clear Water and having lunch at Chef Mickey's. We plan on checking in after lunch. If it is cheaper, that would be great! :)

She may have quoted you at a higher price because many phone CM's don't know what they are talking about . . . .

I could swear there's another thread on this topic - read it maybe yesterday (so probably was updated yesterday; if not definitely in the past week)?? It said that while in the past you could add people when you are at the resort, not everyone is successful now. But don't go by me! I just was surprised to read that, as I've always heard you can add a person (up to room capacity) for less than the full stay at the front desk in person.

We did something similar last November. Had an 8 day trip to Yacht Club and our oldest son came down for a few days in the middle. I went to the front desk the day before he arrived and added him to our room. I believe the only quirk was that he didn't have room charging privileges on his magic band but otherwise worked fine.

I could swear there's another thread on this topic - read it maybe yesterday (so probably was updated yesterday; if not definitely in the past week)?? It said that while in the past you could add people when you are at the resort, not everyone is successful now. But don't go by me! I just was surprised to read that, as I've always heard you can add a person (up to room capacity) for less than the full stay at the front desk in person.

I hope that isn't the case.

Is this the thread you were thinking of?

https://www.disboards.com/threads/b...h-ddp-and-adding-another-at-check-in.3658843/

Yes! It starts as being about adding someone when the person has booked a package (not wanting dining plan for all, for all nights) but then gets into problems some posters have had (one was refused; one permitted but no EMH).
It's not.
I guess I'd prefer to be very cautious in this situation as it would be - for me - a huge problem if I was relying on this and it was wrong. (Or even if correct and I had to argue with the CM about it.) So I posted on this thread to attempt to help OP. I'd greatly appreciate knowing about that other thread - even if the details don't end up being the same (very possible I didn't bother to read closely enough OP/other thread PPs - maybe there is enough info, idk).

We have done this many times so unless things have changed since November you will be fine. Once you check in your reservation package requirements have been "met" and you are free to add guests on a nightly basis. You can only do this in person after check in though - if you try and add a guest prior they will have to have the same package as you do.

I usually add my sister the day after we check in for the number of nights she joins us so that she can use DME (not an issue in your case).
They will get magic bands when she arrives and as registered guests they will be entitled to all the resort benefits for the length of the stay.

That was me in the other thread. I did as you describe the first week of March. You can’t add another guest to a reservation after check in, I even had the guest services at POFQ double check with the manager. My daughter and I stayed for a week, my husband joined us for 2 nights in the middle of the week. We could absolutely not add him to the reservation as a guest, they told me I could add him as a “day guest” (even though he was staying overnight). We were not charged a fee (maybe because we were still only 2 adults/1 child in the room). I was also able to arrange magical express for him by giving the front desk the flight info the day he arrived, and guest services made the bus arrangements. He had his own magic band from other trips, they could not activate that one for the room. He had to be issued a plastic key for the door and used his own mb for park tickets. I had an old mb as well, and he used that one for room charging and dining plan credits while he was with us with no problem. We were at the parks when he arrived, so I just had the front desk hold the key for him to pick up on arrival, texted him the room #, and left my old band in the room. He could not use EMH, but could use the pool, though I doubt he would have had pool access if we were at yacht or beach. He probably could have used my old MB for EMH, but we didn’t try. Come to think of it, if we’d been at a SAB resort, he probably could have used another band there as well, but I’m a nervous nelly and probably wouldn’t risk it.

That was me in the other thread. I did as you describe the first week of March. You can’t add another guest to a reservation after check in, I even had the guest services at POFQ double check with the manager. My daughter and I stayed for a week, my husband joined us for 2 nights in the middle of the week. We could absolutely not add him to the reservation as a guest, they told me I could add him as a “day guest” (even though he was staying overnight). We were not charged a fee (maybe because we were still only 2 adults/1 child in the room). I was also able to arrange magical express for him by giving the front desk the flight info the day he arrived, and guest services made the bus arrangements. He had his own magic band from other trips, they could not activate that one for the room. He had to be issued a plastic key for the door and used his own mb for park tickets. I had an old mb as well, and he used that one for room charging and dining plan credits while he was with us with no problem. We were at the parks when he arrived, so I just had the front desk hold the key for him to pick up on arrival, texted him the room #, and left my old band in the room. He could not use EMH, but could use the pool, though I doubt he would have had pool access if we were at yacht or beach. He probably could have used my old MB for EMH, but we didn’t try. Come to think of it, if we’d been at a SAB resort, he probably could have used another band there as well, but I’m a nervous nelly and probably wouldn’t risk it.

That is very odd. My In Laws are at POFQ right now. They checked in today, booked a package with Dining and were able to add my SIL to their reservation upon Check In for Wed-Sat. She was then able to make a Magical Express reservations both ways.

That is very odd. My In Laws are at POFQ right now. They checked in today, booked a package with Dining and were able to add my SIL to their reservation upon Check In for Wed-Sat. She was then able to make a Magical Express reservations both ways.

Were they able to add to actual reservation as a reservation guest, or as a technical day guest? We had no problem with booking Magical Express, they just told me he wouldn't be able to use EMH. Although, to be honest, I did NOT have the best luck with CM and managers at POFQ, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were determining these things arbitrarily.

Were they able to add to actual reservation as a reservation guest, or as a technical day guest? We had no problem with booking Magical Express, they just told me he wouldn't be able to use EMH. Although, to be honest, I did NOT have the best luck with CM and managers at POFQ, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were determining these things arbitrarily.

Yes, actually added her to the reservation.

I also posted my experiences on that thread. We stayed at AKL in June '16 and were there with my parents. My sister joined us for the last 3 nights of a 10 night stay. My mother spoke to the front desk where the cast member and manager threatened my parents with eviction if they attempted to have my sister stay in the room. My 72 year old mother was in tears and was absolutely panicked the rest of the trip as my sister was already in town and had nowhere to stay unless she got her own reservation. I have no idea why this happened but both the cast member and manager referenced the dining plan to my mother.

I also posted my experiences on that thread. We stayed at AKL in June '16 and were there with my parents. My sister joined us for the last 3 nights of a 10 night stay. My mother spoke to the front desk where the cast member and manager threatened my parents with eviction if they attempted to have my sister stay in the room. My 72 year old mother was in tears and was absolutely panicked the rest of the trip as my sister was already in town and had nowhere to stay unless she got her own reservation. I have no idea why this happened but both the cast member and manager referenced the dining plan to my mother.

Man, that's horrible. To make your Mom cry is bad enough. And to do it over something that is 100% inaccurate makes it even worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter