Add DDP to DVC - how?

2ofUs

DIS Veteran
Staying at OKW (renting points) and want to add DDP.

1-Can I do that myself or does the owner need to call?

2-If there is tax, what is the rate?

3-Are we allowed to buy more (or less) DDP days than the number of nights booked?

Anything else we should know about DVC and DDP?

Thanks for your help.

You can have the owner call Member services and add it to your ressie. The cost is the same but I can't remember the exact price. You have to have it for as many nights that you are there and for everyone in the room. It's the same that everyone else on a package can get except you do not have to have park tickets.

I added it myself when I rented points. I just had to give my confirmation number when I called DVC reservations. JJ

Thanks for the info.

Do either of you remember if it is $38 pp or if there is tax?

Also, just want to add that as a DVC member and using the dining plan on our next trip, you don't pay for it up front, you pay for it at check in. MS told me that they have no way to receive the payment over the phone, you play when you check in.

I am also renting points & called myself to add the DDP on without a problem. They verified that our cost is $37.99A/$10.99 C with no tax for a total of $695.76 for 2 adults/1 child for 8 nights. We were told that we would pay when we arrived or put it on our room charge.

Also, you do have to make the arrangements prior to check-in, that info is printed on the bottom of my confirmation sheet. HTH!

Very minor technical correction -- it's not NO tax. Both tax and an 18% gratuity are INCLUDED in the $37.99 price. So you're really paying roughly $30 for the food.

The same is true with the cost of renting a DVC reservation -- the applicable taxes are part of the owner's annual dues, and are already INCLUDED in the price you pay. Also, there are no other additional fees, unless you choose to valet park at some of the resorts.

Gratuities are NOT included in DVC rentals -- you are responsible for any tips.

As above on the price--$37.99 includes all taxes and gratuities. And, yes, you do need to do it for your entire party and for the number of nights on your reservation.

You can manipulate this if you have people staying in more than one room (or DVC unit) or if you are on more than one reservation--for instance if you are changing resorts at some point during your stay. However, for the "usual" stay--one resort, one room--the DDP must be for the number of nights you are staying and must be purchased for all people in your party.

JimMIA said:
Very minor technical correction -- it's not NO tax. Both tax and an 18% gratuity are INCLUDED in the $37.99 price. So you're really paying roughly $30 for the food.

The same is true with the cost of renting a DVC reservation -- the applicable taxes are part of the owner's annual dues, and are already INCLUDED in the price you pay. Also, there are no other additional fees, unless you choose to valet park at some of the resorts.

Gratuities are NOT included in DVC rentals -- you are responsible for any tips.
Thanks to everyone for their help and information. And to JimMIA, I thought that valet parking is included with DVC? Doesn't matter since we won't be driving a car, but I'd be interested to know for our next trip. I thought I read on the DVC board that you could park valet without cost at BW/BD/WL - but did need to tip. Please correct me if I misunderstood. Thanks.

Valet parking is free to DVC members at those resorts with DVC facilities. Yes, a tip is always appropriate.

If you drive to a resort without DVC (like Grand Floridian), you will still pay for the valet parking or you can choose to self park.

Self parking is free at all Disney resorts to anyone staying at any resort. For instance, if you are staying at the All Star Music, you can drive to the Grand Floridian for dinner and self park free.

kcashner said:
or if you are on more than one reservation--for instance if you are changing resorts at some point during your stay.
Gotta be careful with this strategy, though. The dining plan is only good for the days of your stay -- not beyond the stay for which you got the DP. So, if you stayed Sun-Tues at one resort with the dining plan and then switched to a different resort without the plan, you would NOT be able to use the DP on Wednesday...it would have expired.

One small clarification, please. We arrive at OKW EARLY (8:00 a.m.) and, though I know we can't 'check-in' that early, we should be able to pay for the DDP and would like to begin using it right away. If we use 1 each CS and 1 each TS, that still leaves us 5 more of each to use THROUGH MIDNIGHT of the day we check out (9/30) correct?

We are doing KTTK tour one day which includes lunch, so we will have an extra CS for check-out day. Also, we leave mid-day on check-out so will have no use for TS that day, thus our desire to use those two the first day.

My understanding is: You buy DDP for the number of NITES you book, you get THAT NUMBER of TS, CS & Snacks to use DURING YOUR STAY and they expire at midnight on check-out. Hopefully this is correct.

Thanks again for all the help you guys have provided.

Yes, you have the details right.

When you check in at OKW, they will most likely assign you a room and give you keys, but the room will not be ready and they won't tell you what the room number is. They'll give you a phone number to call to get the room number after 4 PM. However, you should be able to pay for DDP on checkin and the info should be on your keys so you can use the credits.

When using the dining plan are ADRs required or just suggested? How far in advance for ADRs? Thanks

My momma always said "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!" :cutie: So, with that in mind, I offer the following:

ADR's are suggested, and, if you want to INSURE you actually get seated instead of being turned away, you should try and make as many as you think will be needed. NOTE: Several times over the last couple of weeks they have been putting up signs in MK telling people there is NO MORE TABLE SERVICE SEATING AVAILABLE TODAY and refering them to counter service places. :worried:

With the increasing popularity of the DDP, and depending on when you travel, most theme park restaurants/character buffets will be very busy. Even the 'typical' slower time of August-September will be crowded because of the 'free dining' promotion. And, when the table service places are full, the counter service areas get very backed up. :crowded:

My best suggestion is to at least determine in WHICH park you will be, where you MIGHT LIKE to dine on that day, then 'best guess' the seating time you would LIKE to have. When you call for ADR, the Cast Member will let you know if that time is available, or if not, give you other time options.

I would encourage you to pick a time EARLIER than you think you'll need. We have always found that 11:30 am is not too early for lunch since we hit parks before rope drop. In fact, we are usually STARVING by that time. It then stands to reason that a 5:00 or 5:15 pm dinner is fine for us. If we get hungry later we can always buy a light snack. :mickeybar :drinking:

Also, anytime after 11:30 am the lunch crowd quickly builds. The same can be said for dinner after 6:00-6:30 pm. It use to be safe to book a 6:30 or 7:00 ADR, but people are learning they won't have to wait so long for seating if they go earlier. So, timing becomes VERY IMPORTANT! :hourglass

Remember - all those tables that fill at 5:00 have to be emptied to seat the 7:00 dinners! This is especially tough for Character meals since people will finish dining but sit and wait for the characters to come by 'one more time' before they leave.
:goofy: :donald: :tigger: :mickeyjum

We don't want you waiting (especially if you have little ones) for 2 hours to get seated now do we? :confused3

Trust me, please. If you make ADR's and find you won't need them, you can always call (even from your hotel) and cancel them - but GETTING them on the same day could be a whole other story.

Give yourself the peace of mind you will have by getting ADR's. I know it's tough to narrow things down (I'm trying to do that now for our Sept trip), but it WILL be worth it in the grand scheme of things! If I'm WRONG, you can always yell at me when you get back - but somehow I feel you'll probably be sending a :thanks: my way.

Make your ADR's, get seated early, and feel empathy for all those people sitting in the waiting areas as you leave the restaurant with a full tummy and smiling family members! :cloud9:

Hmmmm..very interesting. I was worried about a 5:35 dinner ADR for Crystal Palace but I will keep it as is.

On Epcot day, I have a 7:00 ADR at Teppanyaki, because I want my CS at the Mexico stand ( :goodvibes yummy :goodvibes ) and didn't think I would be hungry till later. I even considered making it closer to 8:00 so we will be in a good position to see Illuminations at 9:00. Reading 2ofUs, I may keep it as is also. Not sure.

I'm going with a bunch of girlfriends that have never been, so I want it to be perfect. Of course, I'm in charge of planning the meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter