adapting question

funnybunny921

Mouseketeer
This might seem like an odd question, but I am wondering if anyone knows what time the eating occurs at whilst in other countries. Like when in Spain is dinner late (9pm) or is it at 6pm like in the states?

When i travel I would like to experience the country and culture, but i could see a tour group thing like abd having dinner at a more "american" time.

We were told that most Italians (and other Europeans) eat dinner much later than Americans.

All of our scheduled meals were "Americanized" in that they were held at times most Americans eat dinner. Dinners were between 6 and 7:00pm.

On the nights we were on our own, it was suggested that restaurants didnt really start serving until 7:30 or 8:00pm. Keep in mind that in
Italy "restaurant" refers to a fine dining / table cloth sort of place. There were less formal places open all the time. We found our best meals were in the more casual places. We had one meal in Rome that cost 111 euros (appoximately $145.00 dollars US) that was just dreadful and we at at 9:30pm.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

In Spain they eat very late. Also, eating is an event. It can take hours shared with friends and family. No one is in a hurry like the states. We were out at 2 am and people were still eating. It was wonderful!

tacomaranch said:
In Spain they eat very late. Also, eating is an event. It can take hours shared with friends and family. No one is in a hurry like the states. We were out at 2 am and people were still eating. It was wonderful!

yes, though I have never been my uncle who lived in barcelona was always talking about the difference in attitudes about eating and going out. less rushed longer meals and much later. I would worry that on our DIY nights we would be tempted to go out and enjoy spain, but that the next day we wouldn't have the benefit of a siesta in the middle of the day.

It seems on these types of tour groups you can't have it both ways. (american no worries travel and seeing the "real" country) maybe that is the wrong impression though?

Another thing, I know things with disney are pricey, but on the trip to spain, other that having things "taken care of" it didn't seem that their were any exclusive tours or things of the sort. in fact many of the trips and tours were to places that were free. do you think you can get your money's worth out of a trip like this? Or maybe that some of the trips are better than others (ie the prop plane in costa rica that takes you where most tourists can't go)?

TIA

I haven't done the Disney adventure but I've been to Spain and yes dinner is much later and longer. I think that the same in true in Italy. I lived in Madrid for a summer in college and would sometimes have dinner at around 10 pm and then go out for the night after.

I would hope that on these groups tours they'd at least find some compromise and not have dinner at 5 or 6 pm. If they did, you'd be missing all the locals and might as well be eating at a Spanish restaurant in the states.

Because your days are very full with lots to see and do, they begin very early. On the Viva Italia trip, the breakfast buffet was usually 6:30 till 8:00am or thereabouts. We would then mee to begin our day.

The buffet was always at the hotel

Out of 8 days, 5 lunches were included, but one of those was after the past making class and one was the box lunch served on the train from Florence to Venice.

Of the 5 dinners included, only the Welcome Dinner began earaly on the first day, but that too was served at the hotel. Most Adventurers were tired from a full day of travel and welcomed the early Welcome. :rotfl:

After that, dinners were held at approximately 7:00pm. On the nights that we were responsible for our own dinners, we were told that the custome was to dine much later than that which we are accustomed.

But again....with the early starts to the days of touring, there was no way I could go all day and then go out to dinner at 10:00pm and be ready for the next day.

It would be tough to maintain the schedule, see everything that was offered and completely take on local customs. But that being said, I never felt as if I was just eating in an Italian restaurant here in the states.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

DisneyKevin said:
But that being said, I never felt as if I was just eating in an Italian restaurant here in the states.

I guess my comment was kind of exaggerated...you'd still be getting lots of local flavor in restaurants no matter time you went.

My DW and I are still considering this for 2008. And we'd have a 6 yo DD w/ us so we'd want to eat earlier than 10 pm anyway. I just wish the tours for 2008 would be released earlier.

In Spain and Italy, it is customary to have an afternoon siesta after lunch, and so dinner is later and also you'll notice the children are up late having dinner too! In some towns and cities in both countries, this is also reflected in shop hours - you'll find some shops close after lunch and re-open later in the afternoon, and remain open quite late!

I have now been to Spain and Italy several times, but remember on my first visit, being surprised at how late the children were up.

1) Tours usually eat at "American" times.
2) The activities are planned to allow people to eat at the normal time.
3) Sure, a particular day might be a tad later, but typically on-time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter